PDA

View Full Version : Assigning private plates

fourteenthstar
21st January 2017, 04:04 PM
Hi,
I purchased a private reg for my Mini a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't assign it until the V5C arrived. I've received it today and in attempting to follow the online instructions I have received the following message;

This registration number cannot be assigned online

You are unable to continue with this application online.

We need to look into your application further due to the vehicle’s licensing history.

Please complete and send your V750 or V778 certificate, together with your V5C registration certificate...

Of course the DVLA is closed until Monday now. Anybody have any ideas as to what the problem could be? I have all the documents right here!
Thanks,
Fiona

badwolf340
21st January 2017, 05:31 PM
That's a funny one never had any problems with online registration ...anyone got any ideas

craigib76
21st January 2017, 05:46 PM
Car may have had a private plate on it before or it has been re reg'd
Only a suggestion may be well off the mark

fourteenthstar
21st January 2017, 06:33 PM
I have been doing a bit of Googling and it looks like the car may have lapsed road tax at some point before I bought it on the 3rd Jan this year. I'll have to call the DVLA on Monday and see what happens.

goodingm
22nd January 2017, 12:03 PM
Think it has to have been SORNed before tax lapses or you cannot do online. Seems crazy if it has subsequently been taxed though.

fourteenthstar
22nd January 2017, 12:14 PM
Think it has to have been SORNed before tax lapses or you cannot do online. Seems crazy if it has subsequently been taxed though.

That's what I was thinking, crazy indeed. Hopefully I can get it resolved tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk