PDA

View Full Version : Reg plates

Borvad
20th January 2017, 12:50 PM
Was wondering, instead of the standard size plates on cars what ones can we get?

I have the plate D11 VDR on my car and was looking to squeeze it all together a bit without it being illegal, so thinking a shorter plate may be the answer.

thanks

CiderFex
20th January 2017, 02:38 PM
I don't think that there is a legal requirement regarding the size of the number plate but the letters and numbers must be a specific font and size and the spacing should also be a specific distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CiderFex
20th January 2017, 02:38 PM
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/533255/inf104-vehicle-registration-numbers-and-number-plates.pdf

Mon the fish
20th January 2017, 04:26 PM
Think it was fancyplates I got mine from, both my cars' front plates have the correct font, in the correct width - but 3/4 height. Been through numerous MOTs and never had a problem

Big Gordy
20th January 2017, 08:44 PM
Think it was fancyplates I got mine from, both my cars' front plates have the correct font, in the correct width - but 3/4 height. Been through numerous MOTs and never had a problem

Its the rozzers you need to worry about.......:Whistle:

Mon the fish
20th January 2017, 09:00 PM
Its the rozzers you need to worry about.......:Whistle:
It's only Hamish MacBeth up here, he's useless [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Crombers
21st January 2017, 06:40 AM
It's only Hamish MacBeth up here, he's useless [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

:laugh:

a11y
21st January 2017, 08:09 PM
I had a "90%" plate on a previous car - legal font, legal spacing, but just a teeny bit smaller - never an issue. Bluetacked it to the front of the MINI when I first got it but it just didn't look right, so went for new legal pressed plates instead.

EcosseGP
22nd January 2017, 01:31 AM
I don't think that there is a legal requirement regarding the size of the number plate but the letters and numbers must be a specific font and size and the spacing should also be a specific distance.

No you're right Pete you can have a cut down plate on the car provided that the characters are legal and that it spaced correctly. There must be a BSA standard and makers ID/postcode on it and the space between the edge of the characters and edge of the plate must be a minimum of 11mm.