PDA

View Full Version : Car value, anyone any idea?

Dobboy
13th January 2017, 11:49 AM
Wondering if anyone has an idea of the value of my R53 as i'm contemplating a change, GP1 or maybe GP2.

Dark Silver R53 JCW, it's all Silver, i.e. not black/white roofs etc
Built Jan 2005
123k Miles
Part Service History, although has been regularly serviced/looked after.
JCW Certificate
Chilli Pack?

Non sunroof
ATB Diff
Full leather in perfect condition
JCW Suspension
Tinted Windows
Aero Grills
JCW Matts
17" Team Dynamics 1.2's
Yoko AD08R's all round
New Brakes all round - Brembo Max discs/Mintex competition pads, High Temp Fluid
Airtec intercooler/-17% reduction pulley (although still have OE intercooler), Cool plugs and Water Wetter.
Original JCW exhaust on it and still perfect condition.
Whiteline adjustable rear ARB
VibraTechnics "Competition" mounts (which i'd remove as they are quite severe)
No leaks.
Car was detailed/machine polished last year and has a ceramic coat on it, when washed up it is stunning.

A few chips on bonnet, (although most were filled and shaved by the detailer), and the odd dint.

I've spent a few bob putting it right since I got it and a fair bit of time, and they seem to be getting a bit thin on the ground, more so north of the border.

Car starts and drives as it should (if not better than it should) and doesn't hang about.

I'm not sure i'll change car but thinking about it and just wondering what sort of money I could expect; on a dealer trade in and also on a private sale.

What d'you recon?

Mon the fish
13th January 2017, 12:06 PM
Modified cars are worth barely more than stock ones. Your best option would be to part-out.

Say £3.5-4k for the car, plus whatever you can sell the mods for.

In regards to a GP1, you've already modified your car beyond one - what's the motivation for a GP?

What I mean is, a GP is overpriced in pure spec terms - you can mod a standard R53 to GP power, coils etc for less. But it won't be a GP - you pay for the limited edition fact.

And that means, to preserve the value, you need to not use it too much.

IMO - if it's a car you're going to barely use, with one eye on minimum depreciation, by all means buy a GP. But if you're going to use it plenty and enjoy it, just keep the car you have

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dobboy
13th January 2017, 01:27 PM
Thanks, I was thinking/hoping that kind of figure for private sale, but i'd imagine a fair bit less from a dealer?

Dunno what the motivation is tbh, apart from GP1/GP2's looking very cool, and the rarity factor, and the GF will tell you i'm a wanter! (wanter with a T! I hope)

It's replacement would be a car to use, I don't mind too much about depreciation tbh, I use my cars as they were intended to be used but by the same token I also take care of them, as long as I get my £'s worth of fun i'm happy.

Don't think i'd part mine out, not much i'd take off, IC, wheels/tyres, mounts, but that's about it.

Cheers

badwolf340
13th January 2017, 09:48 PM
All of what Gordon says and a car is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it

Dobboy
14th January 2017, 01:33 AM
All of what Gordon says and a car is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it

Very true, and a special car to one owner may be a cheap daily shopping trolley to the next owner.

I just hope that if i go private sale anyone looking for a Mini in particular is on the hunt for JCW rather than standard. I have both versions on my drive at the minute and although the standard R53 is good, the/this JCW would annihilate it from A to B, and not just from having more power.

But I suppose not every buyer is looking go go's, and some buyers are just looking for a nippy good looking cheapish runabout, which this is, but it isn't.

I'm in no rush to sell/buy so i'll just keep watching until anything stands out i suppose.

Mon the fish
14th January 2017, 07:28 AM
Very true, and a special car to one owner may be a cheap daily shopping trolley to the next owner.

I just hope that if i go private sale anyone looking for a Mini in particular is on the hunt for JCW rather than standard. I have both versions on my drive at the minute and although the standard R53 is good, the/this JCW would annihilate it from A to B, and not just from having more power.

But I suppose not every buyer is looking go go's, and some buyers are just looking for a nippy good looking cheapish runabout, which this is, but it isn't.

I'm in no rush to sell/buy so i'll just keep watching until anything stands out i suppose.
I've got a JCW, and I share your opinion, but from what I've seen sadly the market doesn't - they appear to be worth about £500 more, despite the relative rarity.

FWIW I'm never selling mine, especially not what they sell for now. On the other hand, they make a cracking used buy - we're tempted to buy another to add to the fleet, so the missus has one

Dobboy
14th January 2017, 09:56 AM
I would like to keep this too but I'll need the money that's in it, or I sell my 205.

I wonder what Mini would offer, a pittance I expect [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
14th January 2017, 10:53 AM
I'd imagine a main dealer wouldn't be interested in any R53 due to what it would cost them to offer a warranty on it.

If they did take one in they would punt it on to an auction, so you'd get a ridiculously low offer from them to cover themselves

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cerbera
14th January 2017, 01:26 PM
R53's are a real funny car for values, I picked my 2004 jcw with the aero kit on it, 93k for £1600 but then you look a few days later and they are all 4k, I don't think I have ever seen a car that fluctuates so much

CiderFex
14th January 2017, 08:06 PM
If you fancy a GP "just because" go for it.
I found 1499 online on a Thursday, looked at it on Saturday, paid the deposit and picked it up on the following Saturday. I'd no clue as to what I was buying but I've not had a single regret since doing so.
I bought it for no other reason that I just wanted one.
Up to now it is still my only MINI and I still have no intention of getting rid of it.
[emoji4]

c9aan
14th January 2017, 09:18 PM
There are some cheap GPs out there I nearly bought a second one 2 weeks ago for £7250 but the guy was a plonker so I left it , But they can be had cheaply enough

Dobboy
14th January 2017, 09:42 PM
Where was that advertised?

c9aan
14th January 2017, 09:53 PM
It was on ebay it was up for 9k but its a buyers market as we all know.

The seller didn't want Scottish notes so I told him to beat it or the likes lol

Dobboy
14th January 2017, 09:56 PM
Cheers