PDA

View Full Version : Help fitting reduced pulley and belt

JamesFox
26th December 2016, 09:00 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if there was anyone near Angus who would be able to fit my pulley and belt for me. It's slightly past my skill set, as I like to give most things a go. Would be good to see someone who knows what they're doing not mess it up like I probably would. I've recently whacked the airtec intercooler on ready to do the pulley!

Also, is there any advice on side effects to different sizes of pulley? I want an increase in performance but also do a few long journeys and wondered if there were any issues with using a 17% reduction over a long journey?

Thanks, and hope you all had a good Christmas!

James

Mike
26th December 2016, 11:42 PM
17% will be fine on long journeys, temperatures are high during full throttle and high rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cerbera
27th December 2016, 08:38 AM
Hi James, I've ran a 17% for the last 3 years and done all sorts of journeys with no issues even on the standard cooler

Paul.

JamesFox
27th December 2016, 03:00 PM
Ok brilliant. Does anyone have any experience of using the 20% reduction pulleys from Orranje?

Cerbera
27th December 2016, 04:07 PM
From what I'm lead to believe the 20% generates too much heat to be useful

Dobboy
27th December 2016, 04:44 PM
You'll probably need to find a mini nut to do the work as you need a couple of special tools for the job.

You need a specific puller to get the old pulley off, and another tool for taking the tension off the belt.

The job is fairly easy, however there is a wee bit of work involved as a couple of engine mounts have to be taken off to allow the engine to be jacked up to allow access to get the pulley tool on/off.

Easy enough job though.

I run a 17% with an Airtec, very good upgrade

Mon the fish
27th December 2016, 04:47 PM
I think someone had issues with a 21% with belt slippage - at some point the pulley gets too small for the belt to grip.

You'll lose power at high revs with a really small pulley, but you won't do damage as the ECU dumps fuel at IATs of 55 degrees to prevent any risk of pinking.

Get Torque or equivalent, monitor your IATs so you're not thrashing it when it is temp clipping and you'll be fine

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

JamesFox
27th December 2016, 05:23 PM
You'll probably need to find a mini nut to do the work as you need a couple of special tools for the job.

You need a specific puller to get the old pulley off, and another tool for taking the tension off the belt.

The job is fairly easy, however there is a wee bit of work involved as a couple of engine mounts have to be taken off to allow the engine to be jacked up to allow access to get the pulley tool on/off.

Easy enough job though.

I run a 17% with an Airtec, very good upgrade

Do you have any recommendations of good garages/people in Scotland?

Think I will stick to the 17% then! Thanks guys

scooty
27th December 2016, 06:46 PM
i have the tools you need to do the job,,,,really not tricky at all,,some really good videos on you tube,,,its only some nuts n bolts,,,its just a mini
19% is max performance,,,,either 17 up top and 2% crank increase,,,,,17% with not really any other big upgrades will still increase the tension in yer underpants,,,,,not fully hard but enough that other people will notice ��

JamesFox
27th December 2016, 09:58 PM
i have the tools you need to do the job,,,,really not tricky at all,,some really good videos on you tube,,,its only some nuts n bolts,,,its just a mini
19% is max performance,,,,either 17 up top and 2% crank increase,,,,,17% with not really any other big upgrades will still increase the tension in yer underpants,,,,,not fully hard but enough that other people will notice ��

Have you done one before? Ah sweet, I will probably go for the 17% just to play it safe. Think that's the best mix of performance and longevity! Should make it slightly cherpier hahaha

Dobboy
27th December 2016, 11:39 PM
Do you have any recommendations of good garages/people in Scotland?

Think I will stick to the 17% then! Thanks guys

No sorry I don't, I usually do the work myself.

Aye you won't go far wrong with 17%.

If you decide to do it yourself it might be worth considering biting the bullet and servicing the charger.

Maybe someone on here local to you will volunteer if you don't fancy doing it, I could loan you the charger belt tension tool, but I borrowed the puller when I done mine.

JamesFox
28th December 2016, 07:16 AM
No sorry I don't, I usually do the work myself.

Aye you won't go far wrong with 17%.

If you decide to do it yourself it might be worth considering biting the bullet and servicing the charger.

Maybe someone on here local to you will volunteer if you don't fancy doing it, I could loan you the charger belt tension tool, but I borrowed the puller when I done mine.

Wouldn't fancy doing mine? Hahahaha.

Ye that's a good point. What's the cost and work involved like in servicing the supercharger?

Mon the fish
28th December 2016, 07:24 AM

Ye that's a good point. What's the cost and work involved like in servicing the supercharger?
There's a service kit on ebay that isn't dear. The problem is, there's two oil reservoirs on the supercharger. One you can get to in situ. The other, you need to remove the supercharger. Which means taking the radiator off etc.

Not difficult as such, just time consuming

JamesFox
28th December 2016, 08:14 AM
There's a service kit on ebay that isn't dear. The problem is, there's two oil reservoirs on the supercharger. One you can get to in situ. The other, you need to remove the supercharger. Which means taking the radiator off etc.

Not difficult as such, just time consuming

Ah ok. I will have a look at the service kit then. Would probably need someone with more know how than me to attempt that haha

Dobboy
28th December 2016, 08:30 AM

I maybe would as I'm gonna be changing one on a 2nd mini I bought recently, or we could do the two cars together at mines, you get the sleeves rolled up and I'd keep you right.

Problem is I'm miles away and just had an operation on a ligament in my thumb which means I'll not be doing any tinkering for a couple of months, and we'd need to do them on the driveway/under a big gazebo, which is ok if you're wrapped up.

I could ask my pal in East Kilbride if he'd do it for you sooner if you want? Me and him done our last ones together and he's a very good with cars.

Unless someone on here volunteers.

JamesFox
28th December 2016, 08:50 AM
I maybe would as I'm gonna be changing one on a 2nd mini I bought recently, or we could do the two cars together at mines, you get the sleeves rolled up and I'd keep you right.

Problem is I'm miles away and just had an operation on a ligament in my thumb which means I'll not be doing any tinkering for a couple of months, and we'd need to do them on the driveway/under a big gazebo, which is ok if you're wrapped up.

I could ask my pal in East Kilbride if he'd do it for you sooner if you want? Me and him done our last ones together and he's a very good with cars.

Unless someone on here volunteers.

I'm more than happy to get involved and give it a go as I like playing about with it and doing as much as I can myself, but it's more confidence with something like that!

Ye that's cool, don't worry I'm used to being freezing cold and wet. Nothing new for me there haha. How far are you from Angus?

Ye that could be an option as I was hoping to get it done fairly soon if possible. He'd be about 2 hours from me, so wouldn't be a massive problem if we could get the pulley and maybe the supercharger done in a day?

Hopefully someone near me may pop up! Ha

JamesFox
7th January 2017, 07:33 PM
Bump

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a garage/member who could do the work?

Thanks

James

stoney
7th January 2017, 07:38 PM
Are site sponcers B+M will be able to help.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

MINI William
7th January 2017, 07:39 PM
As above. B&M would be able to sort you out

JamesFox
7th January 2017, 10:26 PM
As above. B&M would be able to sort you out

Do they do fitting do they?