PDA

View Full Version : R53 Tuning

MINI William
13th December 2016, 07:34 PM
As some of you will know and have seen we have added a Hyper Blue R53 to the line up.

We are looking at doing some work on the car along the lines of 17% reduced pulley, Airtec or GRS IC, Orranje or DaveF airbox and cooler spark plugs (Recommendations). The car came with a PlayMINI/ Scorpion exhaust.

Is there anything we are missing and any recommendations for the above listed.

Craig
13th December 2016, 07:41 PM
I'd look at a diff bonnet scoop (leap or M7 Vortex/Ram) as they shove more air in. As you saw from my car at MITP this year heat soak is awful. Manifold ? Makes a bit diff to sound and makes the car sound great... would definitely go with a modified original cat mated to a Janspeed or GTT etc . I've just not got round to getting my cat modified yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MINI William
13th December 2016, 08:06 PM
I'd look at a diff bonnet scoop (leap or M7 Vortex/Ram) as they shove more air in. As you saw from my car at MITP this year heat soak is awful. Manifold ? Makes a bit diff to sound and makes the car sound great... would definitely go with a modified original cat mated to a Janspeed or GTT etc . I've just not got round to getting my cat modified yet

Perfect Craig thanks. A Leap scoop was always on the cards :smilewinkgrin:

stoney
13th December 2016, 08:33 PM
Perfect Craig thanks. A Leap scoop was always on the cards :smilewinkgrin:
Thats next on my list after my clutch 👍
OBX manifold is good i really like mine

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

craigib76
13th December 2016, 09:57 PM
Make your own Dave f air box as he don't make them anymore and they are fetching stupid money where if you make your own it will cost you about 12 quid

jdl_1967
13th December 2016, 11:30 PM
Hi William, I use NGK BCR8ES, around £9 a set. I don't think they'll last as long as platinum plugs, but it's what 1320 sell with their reduced pulley kit and I've never had an issue.

I've got a similar spec to what you're looking at.

Make sure your cooling system is up to scratch too. It will produce more heat, I had a cracked head on mine a few years ago and it never appeared to actually overheat once.

MINI William
13th December 2016, 11:47 PM
Hi William, I use NGK BCR8ES, around £9 a set. I don't think they'll last as long as platinum plugs, but it's what 1320 sell with their reduced pulley kit and I've never had an issue.

I've got a similar spec to what you're looking at.

Make sure your cooling system is up to scratch too. It will produce more heat, I had a cracked head on mine a few years ago and it never appeared to actually overheat once.

Thanks John. Always good to get a recommendation upon what someone is using and happy with

Rogerg990
13th December 2016, 11:59 PM
Changing Camshaft is a good mod. I run NGK BKR8EIX plugs and found them to be better than BCR8ES on the colder mornings.

Mon the fish
14th December 2016, 12:43 AM
How do you want your power? A 17% will give you more, but in a modern, turbo-type way - i.e. solid midrange, but will tail off further up the rev range (the supercharger by this point is spinning far beyond its design specs, and generates too much heat). That said, a pulley is cheap power.

Improve the intake, improve the exhaust. Remember an intercooler doesn't give you more power, it just allows you to keep the power you have for longer.

Depending on the power you want, depends on what plugs you need. Stock R53 is heat range 6, JCW is 7, above 210 you're looking at 8. R53 power isn't cheap to come by - 230bhp is a cam, tune etc if you're not going down the 17% route.

FWIW I have a JCW 210 (11% pulley), further modded with a Janspeed manifold with Tomcat, early-type Newman cam, 550s and tune. Mine make 230bhp, which is more than enough in a small FWD hatch IMO.

I kept the 11% pulley as I wanted to make good power to the redline - I like revving each gear out. The Newman improves the midrange and all-over torque figures. If I was doing it again I might go Catcam, but I wouldn't go for a smaller pulley personally

CiderFex
14th December 2016, 06:16 AM
As always it all depends on just how full your piggy bank is.
[emoji15]
I'd start out with a good foam, wash, polish & wax and then a load of stickers.
You'll cut down on the drag immensely and the stickers are about 3-5bhp each depending on the size and colour.
[emoji1303]
Once you've got the big mods out of the way, de-flap the airbox and throw an ITG in it. You'll get a tad more ooomph and a louder whine from the 'charger.
[emoji4]

craigib76
14th December 2016, 06:40 AM
As always it all depends on just how full your piggy bank is.
[emoji15]
I'd start out with a good foam, wash, polish & wax and then a load of stickers.
You'll cut down on the drag immensely and the stickers are about 3-5bhp each depending on the size and colour.
[emoji1303]
Once you've got the big mods out of the way, de-flap the airbox and throw an ITG in it. You'll get a tad more ooomph and a louder whine from the 'charger.
[emoji4]

Unless it has a jcw airbox it won't have a flap in the airbox to remove ��

jdl_1967
14th December 2016, 08:00 AM
How do you want your power? A 17% will give you more, but in a modern, turbo-type way - i.e. solid midrange, but will tail off further up the rev range (the supercharger by this point is spinning far beyond its design specs, and generates too much heat). That said, a pulley is cheap power.

Improve the intake, improve the exhaust. Remember an intercooler doesn't give you more power, it just allows you to keep the power you have for longer.

Depending on the power you want, depends on what plugs you need. Stock R53 is heat range 6, JCW is 7, above 210 you're looking at 8. R53 power isn't cheap to come by - 230bhp is a cam, tune etc if you're not going down the 17% route.

FWIW I have a JCW 210 (11% pulley), further modded with a Janspeed manifold with Tomcat, early-type Newman cam, 550s and tune. Mine make 230bhp, which is more than enough in a small FWD hatch IMO.

I kept the 11% pulley as I wanted to make good power to the redline - I like revving each gear out. The Newman improves the midrange and all-over torque figures. If I was doing it again I might go Catcam, but I wouldn't go for a smaller pulley personally

That's really interesting as I recently contemplated reverting my JCW back to an 11% from its 17% for the reasons you highlighted.

My car is at 1320 next month and I might get them to swap the pulley over at the same time as they map it.

Are you still on 380s? If so, how are your AFRs with the cam fitted? I've heard once a cam gets fitted the 380s are at the top of their working range, but then others say not. There's a lot of conflicting information online but I also guess each car is different.

Mon the fish
14th December 2016, 08:10 AM
That's really interesting as I recently contemplated reverting my JCW back to an 11% from its 17% for the reasons you highlighted.

My car is at 1320 next month and I might get them to swap the pulley over at the same time as they map it.

Are you still on 380s? If so, how are your AFRs with the cam fitted? I've heard once a cam gets fitted the 380s are at the top of their working range, but then others say not. There's a lot of conflicting information online but I also guess each car is different.

I'm on 550s, 1320 mapped it when they dropped the cam in. I only got 20bhp (assuming it was putting out 210bhp originally) for the best part of £1k, but it's the driveability all across the rev range now that's astounding - it's the engine it should have been all along.

I was genuinely giggling to myself when I drove it home

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

will69176
14th December 2016, 10:50 AM
As some of you will know and have seen we have added a Hyper Blue R53 to the line up.

We are looking at doing some work on the car along the lines of 17% reduced pulley, Airtec or GRS IC, Orranje or DaveF airbox and cooler spark plugs (Recommendations). The car came with a PlayMINI/ Scorpion exhaust.

Is there anything we are missing are any recommendations for the above listed.

Looks like a good list, all things which require no remap as well. It's probably worth getting a manifold as well, assuming it just has a cat-back currently.

I noticed the biggest change in mine when I replaced the bypass valve, it's not particularly exciting, but was worth doing.

Rogerg990
14th December 2016, 08:35 PM
BVH is another option. Will work better with other supporting mods.

MINI William
15th December 2016, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the info folks. Won't be doing much until after Christmas as just no time just now.

Dobboy
15th December 2016, 01:40 PM
My tupence worth of what i'd do, and the order of priority, assuming you want a car that can be driven fast on the B roads, without going into ditches or backwards into hedges, or worse.

Good Tyres - No point in having more power if you can't get the power on the tarmac or keep the car on the road.

Brakes - decent (not drilled) discs, either grooved or good quality plain. Take your pick with pads depending on how fast you want to stop, how much you want to spend. Standard callipers work well if good money is spent on discs and pads.
Brake fluid change - High boiling point stuff, fairly cheap and easy to do.

Eibach Pro lowering spring kit, I picked a set up for £45 second hand. Makes the car look nice, takes a lot of the SS+ trashiness away, and it handles much better. (The Eibachs are progressive, meaning you get comfort driving to Tesco's, but performance as they get loaded up on the windy stuff.)

Whiteline rARB - takes away a lot of understeer and helps front end grip if you haven't got a ATB or plated diff.

Upper strut brace - Lower ones seem pointless, the bottom should be stiff with the subframe, but a top brace seems to make the car feel much tighter and direct.

4 wheel alignment.

Reduced pulley and decent air filter as they are cheap and easy to do with good results.

By then you'll have a car you can sit in, use daily, use the power it's already got as standard, and know it's ready for more horses, (or a good diff), and you can spend 'till your hearts content! :D

nobbyclark
16th December 2016, 11:05 AM
I would add a Newman cam to your shopping list. I've just had one fitted, along with a modified bypass valve, and it has transformed what was already a quick car into a rocketship.

badwolf340
16th December 2016, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the input guys .....although a Turbo would be nice

nobbyclark
16th December 2016, 12:10 PM
Speak to GTT about that; seem to remember that is their ultimate mod for an R53.

MINI William
16th December 2016, 12:15 PM
Would be 1320 if we decide to go down the turbo route :yes nod:

MINI William
16th December 2016, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Not really looking to go cam etc as still have other cars. This car is just a bit of fun

Mon the fish
16th December 2016, 12:56 PM
As was said above, probably the best bang for buck would be a full suspension refresh.

The car is 10 years old - renewing all bushes, balljoints, dampers etc will make a huge difference. IMO best to do that before upping the power

MINI William
16th December 2016, 01:55 PM
As was said above, probably the best bang for buck would be a full suspension refresh.

The car is 10 years old - renewing all bushes, balljoints, dampers etc will make a huge difference. IMO best to do that before upping the power

All of the handling side of things will be completed before any engine modifications are carried. We were only looking for what we had planned needed anything ontop of or alongside :smilewinkgrin:

Mon the fish
16th December 2016, 06:49 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses [emoji4]

You guys normally buy new cars, right? Interested to see where this project goes. And if it doesn't appear too rude a question, why an R53, and why buy one now?

badwolf340
16th December 2016, 08:09 PM

You guys normally buy new cars, right? Interested to see where this project goes. And if it doesn't appear too rude a question, why an R53, and why buy one now?
Never had a R50/53 and most people have good things to say about them ,so we got one and so far love it

Mon the fish
16th December 2016, 09:32 PM
Never had a R50/53 and most people have good things to say about them ,so we got one and so far love it
Cool [emoji106]

I have to say, it's one of the few cars that people seem to buy again, a few years after selling it. There's not many cars
people go back to.

They get under your skin more than a lot of things I've driven

MINI William
16th December 2016, 09:35 PM

Thank. As above, because we have never had a R50/53 variant and decided that due to how highly they are regarded to get one. So far loving the car and with what we are thinking of doing with it will surly love it more.

We arent setting out to reinvent the wheel with the R53 but just have it to have a bit fun with.

Will take ape some photos of the car tomorrow and post

Mon the fish
16th December 2016, 09:39 PM
The tuning options are certainly tried and tested, so the info to get what you want is freely out there.

Oh and if you want a blue/black full leather interior, give me a shout [emoji6]

MINI William
16th December 2016, 09:48 PM
The tuning options are certainly tried and tested, so the info to get what you want is freely out there.

Oh and if you want a blue/black full leather interior, give me a shout [emoji6]

Your spot on. What's worth and not worth doing to them is well documented. We really just what we had planned was going to need anything else to go along with it, but we seem to be along the right lines.

CiderFex
16th December 2016, 10:39 PM
I personally love the R53 because it has that "raw" feeling when you drive it, if that makes sense.
It isn't as refined as the newer models and looks, and feels, a little rough around the edges.

....plus I just can not afford an F56 JCW with all the extra bells and whistles.
[emoji30]

Crombers
17th December 2016, 08:19 PM
The boys have seen the light & bought a Mk1 :thumbs up:

Welcome to the original 'R' sect :hand:

Enjoy :yes nod: