PDA

View Full Version : Rear brakes grinding

Fontal
5th October 2004, 09:19 PM
The rear brakes on my One have just given up the ghost and are grinding like mad the discs have been shagged for a long while now but surely discs and pads should last longer the 30000 miles now adays.
Typicaly the warrenty ran out last month as well:mad:
Does anybody know how much it costs to get the rear brakes replaced?

Cheers Richard

Steve74
5th October 2004, 09:31 PM
I thought someone said about £60 the other day?

Try a goodwill gesture request!

Monsta Mo Mini
5th October 2004, 09:35 PM
I had to get the rear brakes and disks replaced a few weeks back. The calipers had seized on. Got the lot replaced under warranty. The car has just done 30K

john
5th October 2004, 11:09 PM
Its an easy DIY job and there is a bargain set of rear discs on ebay at the Mo £30 I think is the buy now price and the BMW pads are about the same

Fontal
5th October 2004, 11:15 PM
All ready bought them John £20 buy now and £10 postage but I didn't see the pads, still there only £35 from the dealer.
How difficult is it to push the rear pistons back in? is it right that you have to turn them as well as push them?

Any tip and info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Richard

john
6th October 2004, 01:55 AM
Yes thats right Richard turn the piston as you push it back:)

Wul
6th October 2004, 05:07 PM
An old trick i used to do was carefully pump the pistons out slightly more and then polish them with some autosol, clean the residue off then push them back in - this meant they slid back in a lot easier without damaging the seals.

THIS (http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73077) might help too!

:)

Fontal
7th October 2004, 06:57 PM
Not bad rear discs and pads delivered to my door £66.40 and I'll be fitting them myself so no labour, JC's Aberdeen wanted £161.80:eek: for parts and fitting plus the £200:eek: to get there so there is a massive saving of £295.40:D:D:D
Many thanks to E-Bay and EBC oh and of course you lot for the tips and advice.

Cheers Richard

choc
12th October 2004, 11:44 PM
choc here i have been to john clark aberdeen with my 5000 mls mini one to complain about the rear brakes as the discs are shagged they say i will get new discs but no pads .the car is only 11months old

choc
18th October 2004, 10:38 PM
just had my rear discs replaced at john clark only done 5000 mls .service at john clark said pistons were sticking .excellent service from john clark no complaints

lightbody
19th October 2004, 06:29 AM
in the manual it says to sometimes use the handbrake to stop the car (when safe) as this keeps the rear brakes in good shape. I used to do this regularly and never had any problems over 3 years and 30k miles.

choc
19th October 2004, 08:26 PM
thats what i will get the missus to do when she is driving now and again.i have a 306 hdi with discs all round and i do that to my car and the discs are perfect