PDA

View Full Version : grinding noise

Borvad
4th December 2016, 10:25 PM
Hopefully this is the right section.
The car isnt saying the brake pads are gonna need replaced any time soon, but when I drive off theres a kinda grinding/rubbing sound from the drivers front wheel area, that gets faster the faster I go, but goes away after I go over 20mph.

Any ideas?

Trying not to go see my mechanic until after xmas.

thanks

nobbyclark
5th December 2016, 01:29 PM
Could be a wheel bearing. Or, if you had the brake pads replaced recently, they might not be seated correctly.

MINI William
5th December 2016, 04:02 PM
How long ago did it start? Have you noticed when you've got out the car any smoke coming from the brakes or can you feel excessive heat coming from them?

c9aan
5th December 2016, 07:14 PM
dust guard rubbing on the disc , or a stone trapped between the 2

will69176
5th December 2016, 08:15 PM
Hopefully this is the right section.
The car isnt saying the brake pads are gonna need replaced any time soon, but when I drive off theres a kinda grinding/rubbing sound from the drivers front wheel area, that gets faster the faster I go, but goes away after I go over 20mph.

Any ideas?

Trying not to go see my mechanic until after xmas.

thanks

It's probably something touching your discs, could be your pads, some debris etc.

I would have a good look before taking it to a garage, it could be something straight forward.

ELFMAN
8th December 2016, 07:04 PM
I've had this sort of noise when I haven't run the car for a while, it seems to have gone now as I've been using it more recently (now the old MG's hibernating). I took it as maybe a wee rusty high spot on a disc which wears down through use. It was quite apparent for a while every time I drove it, I'm not heavy on my brakes, so that might not help either.

I have noticed various other 'grinding noises', but that's just me getting in and out of the Recaros... Mini's going in for a service next week, which is more than can be said for me, even on my birthday :frown: