PDA

View Full Version : Hello, R53 Supercharger

insta_mouse
28th November 2016, 12:23 PM
Hi Guys and Galls,

New to the forum, owner of a 89 MINI and also an R53 COOPER S,

Ordered my 17% reduced pulley, intercooler, plugs and belt from Orranje now looking for some help from my fellow mini owners. I was wondering if anyone was selling/renting/would let me borrow a standard pulley removal tool? (preferably the later of the options!) along with borrowing the locking tool and belt tension tool?

Will also be looking to do 550cc injectors, a re-map, de-cat or sports cat manifold along with an exhaust in the new year.

Fellow 'modders' advice on noise levels of a de-cat would be much appreciated and also advice on tuning companies for the re-map? used a few companies for cars before but does the forum have any favourites?

Located in Glasgow :) everyone's help and advice is very much appreciated.
Michael :thumbs up:

Mon the fish
28th November 2016, 01:42 PM
1320 near Cambridge can't be beaten. Do what I did - drive there, drop car off, get on train to London (1 hour), have a few days there, then go and collect car, and grin all the way home!

Their knowledge of R53s is second to none IMO.

Depending on the rest of the exhaust system, a decat can be very loud and won't give you any more power. Not worth it IMO, especially as your insurance is then invalid as the car isn't road legal

DigitalLemming
28th November 2016, 01:55 PM
I'm sure Stoney will be along in a bit, as he's done similar to his R53, but he took his down to 1320 as well and from what I've heard there great with them and can map the 550s which seems to be problematic for some other mappers.

His build thread is here if you want a read Stoney's Black & Orange R53 (http://newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?26253-Stoney-s-Black-amp-Orange-R53)

insta_mouse
28th November 2016, 03:54 PM
Thanks, from what I've heard 1320 is the place to go!! Looking for somewhere closer to home hopefully!
I will defiantly gain power by fitting a de-cat or sports cat all I'm wondering is how loud is to loud?!

also still looking for that pulley tool ;) hopefully someone comes along :D

CiderFex
28th November 2016, 05:43 PM
If you're going for 550 injectors you'll need a Cat cam as well. I had a de-cat on GP1499 and had it removed very shortly afterwards, the noise above 3,000 rpm was just unbearable.
Don't bother with a sports cat, as said above, you'll not gain anything by it, it will invariably disintegrate over time and you will actually lose power. 1320 tested various sports cats and every single one produced less power than the standard cat.
I have a Janspeed manifold with a Tom cat (a standard cat made to measure your system at 1320) and also a Milltek cat back. You honestly will not need to do anything else to the exhaust system if you have those fitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpirie1000
28th November 2016, 09:11 PM
Where exactly are you Based? Fair few folks that can assist in scotland....

MINI William
28th November 2016, 09:23 PM
Welcome to NMS. with the mods you have planned 1320 are the guys to sort you out.

jdl_1967
28th November 2016, 09:26 PM
Thanks, from what I've heard 1320 is the place to go!! Looking for somewhere closer to home hopefully!
I will defiantly gain power by fitting a de-cat or sports cat all I'm wondering is how loud is to loud?!

also still looking for that pulley tool ;) hopefully someone comes along :D

I'd looked into getting my R53 remapped with 550cc injectors. I did loads of research and have a set of 550cc injectors ready to be fitted, the only place I'd consider is 1320. I know they're a long way away, but from what I've found to date, they are the only company that seem to be able to scale and map 550cc injectors properly.

I spoke to them about three weeks ago and they currently have a 3 week or so waiting time. They stated to fit and map the injectors would only take 3-4 hours and offered me somewhere to work using their wifi if I needed to get work done whilst I waited. They seem a really decent bunch.

It looks like I might not need to sell my car at the moment, but still awaiting the bill for my son's house. If I keep it, I'll definitely be visiting them in the new year. I plan to just do a round trip in a day, so apart from my time, only £150 or so in fuel. Mind you, if you're getting a Tom Cat fitted, they fit each one to your own manifold, so that may take more than a day, not too sure.

Good luck with your build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scooty
28th November 2016, 10:32 PM
do it all yourself ,,just nuts n bolts,,,i have pulley tools if ye want,,pulley,exhaust and injectors are easy peasy,,then get a map done up here somewhere,,only fuel and air mixture,,,,i wouldnt map without cam or head,,,,,very
minimal gains without,,,exhaust n pulley and you'll be nipping out for the milk ,loave,eggs whatever takes yer fancy,,am in east kilbride if ye want pulley puller

emicen
28th November 2016, 10:50 PM
Hi Guys and Galls,

New to the forum, owner of a 89 MINI and also an R53 COOPER S,

Ordered my 17% reduced pulley, intercooler, plugs and belt from Orranje now looking for some help from my fellow mini owners. I was wondering if anyone was selling/renting/would let me borrow a standard pulley removal tool? (preferably the later of the options!) along with borrowing the locking tool and belt tension tool?

Will also be looking to do 550cc injectors, a re-map, de-cat or sports cat manifold along with an exhaust in the new year.

Fellow 'modders' advice on noise levels of a de-cat would be much appreciated and also advice on tuning companies for the re-map? used a few companies for cars before but does the forum have any favourites?

Located in Glasgow :) everyone's help and advice is very much appreciated.
Michael :thumbs up:

My pal has a well maintained R53 that's had catcam, 550s, decat, exhaust, pulley, meth injection etc, all done in Glasgow including mapping.

2 years of hard Knockhill use and doing the length of the country for Blyton, Oulton and Anglesey, it's still going strong.

jdl_1967
28th November 2016, 10:57 PM
I don't think 550cc injectors will run without a remap.

380cc injectors do and can just be replaced, albeit they will over fuel at tickover and WOT until mapped. Not greatly, but on tickover and WOT the standard map will be pushing fuel through thinking they are 330cc. During normal driving, the values provided by the lambda sensor will allow the ECU to trim fuel correctly.

stoney
28th November 2016, 11:13 PM
Been there done it with 2 with of 3 of the major tuners in scotland and will not be doinging it again 3rs big mini tuner in scotland just fed me bullcrap when i phoned them.

Take it to 1320 save your self a load of hassle and money and yes you can run the car with 550's if you want to wreck you car in the longer run due to bore wash.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

jdl_1967
28th November 2016, 11:28 PM
Will 550s still bore wash with a proper remap Rob? I remember tuned Cosworths used to often suffer from bore wash. Showing my age now :-(

Mon the fish
29th November 2016, 07:23 AM
1320 could map 550s on a standard car, but there's no point - you don't need the flow rate. You only need 550s when you're tuning after fitting a cam

insta_mouse
29th November 2016, 07:58 AM
some man :D im just ouside East Kilbride ! could you PM me ?

stoney
29th November 2016, 08:14 AM
1320 could map 550s on a standard car, but there's no point - you don't need the flow rate. You only need 550s when you're tuning after fitting a cam
This ^^^^^^

stoney
29th November 2016, 08:14 AM
Will 550s still bore wash with a proper remap Rob? I remember tuned Cosworths used to often suffer from bore wash. Showing my age now :-(

Dont think so tbh once they are mapped correctly they should be fine.

Mon the fish
29th November 2016, 06:19 PM
1320 put a lot of work into analysing spray patterns of various injectors, as you don't need the flow rate of 550s - 440 is fine.

The 550s (which I think are a Porsche fitment) flowed closest to the stock 330s - a mist/spray, rather than a jet. IIRC the 440s were more like a jet

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk