PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice: exhaust for a R56 Cooper S

a11y
15th November 2016, 03:24 PM
Being new to MINIs I’m asking for a bit of advice from those who’ve been around the block: exhausts.

I find my 2012 Cooper S too quiet: I expect a bit more noise from a hot hatch when giving it the beans. After test-driving a few MINIs ahead of buying, I planned ahead and have an aftermarket exhaust ready to go with my insurance, but I can’t decide which one...

I’m too new to MINIs to know what options to look at. I’ve listened to (more than) a few on Youtube and appreciate there’s nothing like hearing them in person. And – frustratingly for me at least – most videos focus on what an exhaust sounds like OUTSIDE the car. I couldn’t care less what it sounds like from the outside: I want some which sounds better INSIDE, i.e. I want the benefit!

I know it’s very much down to personal tastes but I’m really struggling to know where to start. If I list my criteria do you think folk could give me some pointers about what I should be considering?

Criteria:
* a bit louder than standard (under WOT)
* but not too loud – I’ve got young kids so I can’t go for something daft, plus I’m too old for that sort of sh*t nowadays
* enhancing the current exhaust note/volume – I like how it sounds, it just needs amplified
* characterful – I’m not adverse to a few more pops n bangs
* no droning when cruising
* not keen on idea of having to swap out a decat for MOT etc.

I’ve looked at the JCW backbox but would that be enough of a difference? I know there’s the Challenge exhaust (I see one for sale on this forum – might be sold though I don’t know) but suspect that’s way off the top end of the noise scale for me! I’ve seen comments saying the Milltek isn’t the most tuneful. And it’s hard to know if the likes of the Alta or Akrapovic exhaust notes/volumes are to my tastes or not. Akrapovic far beyond my budget anyway.

First preference is staying OEM as in my head that’s got highest chance of avoiding problems. For info and as guidance, I swapped the backbox on my previous car – a BMW e90 330i – for the M Performance backbox which was absolutely perfect for my needs: louder under WOT but unchanged when cruising, and enhanced what was already a cracking sounding engine.

Any suggestions/opinions and links to videos (inside!) would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

MINI William
15th November 2016, 05:03 PM
The challenge exhaust that was on Andrews car only used the Challenge Back Box rather than the full system and it sounded great. Have a listen to the video that he posted in the for sale thread. I may also have a drive by that we done when we fitted the exhaust.

A JCW system may be the answer as it gives in increase in noise and flow and may be the answer.

M600-RKJ
15th November 2016, 06:40 PM
Cant go wrong with the jcw back box. Nice pops quite a deep roar as well. And with a resonator delete makes it really come alive ive got mine with a decat as well. Its is verging on too loud i might have a small resonator made up in the future

Ianstwt_r59
15th November 2016, 06:51 PM
I have a non resonated scorpion exhaust and love the sound that comes off it. Got the video on my Instagram if you want to hear it

badwolf340
15th November 2016, 07:33 PM
Another one for Challenge system :thumbs up: or if you wish just fit rear part of system,the challenge when fitted with rear only would fit the criteria for what you are looking for

stephenbstewart0
16th November 2016, 09:26 AM
sounds good wouldn't mind one myself

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

M600-RKJ
16th November 2016, 10:18 AM
Im sure quiet a few of the guys on here could vouch that my car non-res jcw back box certainly wasnt quiet. If you look up nms easter run there is a video of all the cars going by my ds r56 (pre decat) and Ian's blue r56 are on it as well as quite a few other r56s including a gp. Would be worth a watch to get an idea of the different sounds. If i cant find it i will get the link up

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/75h4-eLXeMA

- - - Updated - - -

Andrew's r56s withe challenge rear is in the video as well

ELFMAN
16th November 2016, 04:26 PM
I'm running the JCW full cat-back system (which came with the 'Stage 1' engine upgrade back in the day), and a Milltek Downpipe/Sports Cat. It sounds pretty good IMHO and isn't loud compared with some of the other setups. If you're looking for a bit more of what you already have, it fits the bill. It's an expensive way to go though - I've done things over a good few years, so didn't buy them together. I did notice however that the Milltek downpipe certainly added a more 'serious' note to the exhaust while retaining the 'original' sound of the R56, so it might be worth looking into downpipes (not de-catted!) and retaining your OE system or fitting the JCW back box. You also get a wee power boost with the downpipe and I'm certain it revs a bit better too!

a11y
17th November 2016, 02:39 PM
https://youtu.be/75h4-eLXeMA
Thanks, had a look but TBH I struggled to tell who's car is which. Some range of exhaust notes though.

I'm running the JCW full cat-back system (which came with the 'Stage 1' engine upgrade back in the day), and a Milltek Downpipe/Sports Cat. It sounds pretty good IMHO and isn't loud compared with some of the other setups. If you're looking for a bit more of what you already have, it fits the bill. It's an expensive way to go though - I've done things over a good few years, so didn't buy them together. I did notice however that the Milltek downpipe certainly added a more 'serious' note to the exhaust while retaining the 'original' sound of the R56, so it might be worth looking into downpipes (not de-catted!) and retaining your OE system or fitting the JCW back box. You also get a wee power boost with the downpipe and I'm certain it revs a bit better too!
I've seen what appears to be a full JCW system on eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-MINI-R56-JCW-COMPLETE-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-JOHN-COOPER-WORKS-2007-2014/232065045757?_trksid=p2050601.c100574.m4253&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1% 26asc%3D37140%26meid%3D5a8cf093adc0479883213b75efd 3b333%26pid%3D100574%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D232 065045757), but the seller is quite adamant he won't post it. Is there a difference between the JCW rear silencer and the 'stage 1' rear silencer, anyone know? I ask as there's different ones listed on minigenuineparts (http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/genuine-mini-john-cooper-works/jcw-mini-exhausts.html)although the stage 1 is listed for 2006-2010 only for some reason.

Still completely undecided as you can probably guess...

M600-RKJ
17th November 2016, 02:46 PM
Thanks, had a look but TBH I struggled to tell who's car is which. Some range of exhaust notes though.

I've seen what appears to be a full JCW system on eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-MINI-R56-JCW-COMPLETE-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-JOHN-COOPER-WORKS-2007-2014/232065045757?_trksid=p2050601.c100574.m4253&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1% 26asc%3D37140%26meid%3D5a8cf093adc0479883213b75efd 3b333%26pid%3D100574%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D232 065045757), but the seller is quite adamant he won't post it. Is there a difference between the JCW rear silencer and the 'stage 1' rear silencer, anyone know? I ask as there's different ones listed on minigenuineparts (http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/genuine-mini-john-cooper-works/jcw-mini-exhausts.html)although the stage 1 is listed for 2006-2010 only for some reason.

Still completely undecided as you can probably guess...
Stage 1 looks identical but its restricted at the tips they have baffles in the tips they look cooler as they have the jcw logo engraved into the top they give a slightly difgerent sound to the real jcw exhaust which are plain and totally open

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

M600-RKJ
17th November 2016, 02:47 PM
I have some go pro of my exhaust pre decat i could send you if you like and if you find ian on instagram he has a video of his exhaust

Blueboy
17th November 2016, 03:50 PM
Got a great system from the guys at Pipe Dynamics in Leven in Fife full custom made system in stainless for every car, wouldn't go anywhere else tbh

Ianstwt_r59
17th November 2016, 07:01 PM
My Instagram is ijstewart. Give me a follow while your their too

a11y
17th November 2016, 09:25 PM
My Instagram is ijstewart. Give me a follow while your their too

I struggle with any social media other than Facebook...

But found you: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMeBKMqglR6/?taken-by=ijstewart - Scorpion straight turbo back? Excuse my ignorance but do you mean decaf in there too? That sounds lovely, possibly a bit on the lairy/loud side for me but hard to be sure.

M600-RKJ
17th November 2016, 09:34 PM
I struggle with any social media other than Facebook...

But found you: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMeBKMqglR6/?taken-by=ijstewart - Scorpion straight turbo back? Excuse my ignorance but do you mean decaf in there too? That sounds lovely, possibly a bit on the lairy/loud side for me but hard to be sure.
Ive got a 0-60 of mine before the decat my insta is m600_rkj

a11y
17th November 2016, 11:40 PM
Ive got a 0-60 of mine before the decat my insta is m600_rkj

Thanks, just had a listen. Was the 0-60 vid totally standard or was that without the centre resonator? Found another of your older videos of what you say is standard JCW exhaust and it sounds brilliant to me! I'm starting to wonder if there is in fact a bigger difference in volume between the standard S exhaust and JCW. I guess one route for me might be a JCW rear only, see how I get on, then if still too quiet look at either removal/changing centre resonator or a sports cat? (decay does appeal but not come MOT time or potential insurance implications).

M600-RKJ
17th November 2016, 11:50 PM
Thanks, just had a listen. Was the 0-60 vid totally standard or was that without the centre resonator? Found another of your older videos of what you say is standard JCW exhaust and it sounds brilliant to me! I'm starting to wonder if there is in fact a bigger difference in volume between the standard S exhaust and JCW. I guess one route for me might be a JCW rear only, see how I get on, then if still too quiet look at either removal/changing centre resonator or a sports cat? (decay does appeal but not come MOT time or potential insurance implications).
Sorry I have 3 videos of the exhaust stndard the 0-60 was with jcw back bax and no resonator. Ive always thought the mini sounds really good anyway but yeah even when my car was totally standard it seemed to pop a little more than others

Ianstwt_r59
18th November 2016, 09:18 PM
The recent one I put up is just the cat back, the decat is currently off the car

a11y
18th November 2016, 10:39 PM
The recent one I put up is just the cat back, the decat is currently off the car

Thanks, I really do quite like the sound of yours but just maybe a tad lairy for me but I'll keep it in mind. Wasn't one I'd considered until hearing your video. I do enjoy the drive up to Crieff via Glendevon/Gleneagles so might give you a shout sometime if that was OK?

Ianstwt_r59
19th November 2016, 08:40 AM
Thanks, I really do quite like the sound of yours but just maybe a tad lairy for me but I'll keep it in mind. Wasn't one I'd considered until hearing your video. I do enjoy the drive up to Crieff via Glendevon/Gleneagles so might give you a shout sometime if that was OK?

Why not go for a resonated one in that case. Would be slightly quieter. Yeah sounds great I'm always up for a drive

a11y
6th December 2016, 02:22 PM
Ian kindly met up with my on Sunday so I could have a listen to his non-resonated Scorpion cat-back system. Love it from the outside – the noise it makes is pretty much ideal to me. Ian’s video sounds great and I got back out my car as Ian was leaving on Sunday just to listen to him cruise by then pull away. Lovely. Love it from inside the car too above about 50mph, but found it – personally – a bit too intrusive at lower speeds. No boominess, just a tad too much! Given I use the car for family duties too (2 kids under the age of 4) I guess the wife would be less than impressed if I went for one! I guess the extra silencer of the resonated Scorpion system might solve that but I’m not aware of anyone with that system on a R56 MCS so would be a bit of a gamble.

Quite keen to compare a standard MCS exhaust with a JCW backbox to hear the difference inside the cabin, so will try and make it along to this Sunday’s meet if there’s anyone with a R56 JCW going. I’ll post in the meet thread.