PDA

View Full Version : New Car Stereo

Stuwho
12th November 2016, 09:11 PM
Got a new stereo for my 2002 Cooper S. Only really got it for the USB connection, so I can plug in my USB stick to play music rather than having loads of CD's lying about. Got a cheap adaptor plug for it, but I saw a link for fitting stereos which goes on about a "harman kardon" & that a special plug is needed. Does my car have this harman kardon, or will the cheapie one I've ordered work with it. The ones I've seen in halfords look just the same as the one I've ordered.

Kettlepot
13th November 2016, 11:16 PM
If you look at the speaker surround on the door, it will say Harman Kardon, is it's got it otherwise it will just be plain.

Stuwho
14th November 2016, 03:27 PM
I saw a video online that shows the amp in the drivers side compartment in the boot, just above the rear wheel. Had a look in mine & there's nothing there, so hoping it's just a straight forward swap.

chillax
14th November 2016, 04:23 PM
Damn wish fitting an aftermarket steroe in the gen 2's was this easy! lol

a11y
15th November 2016, 02:36 PM
Agree. Read about folk saying the standard stereo was crap before buying mine, now I know why.

Struggling to justify the upgrade from newministuff.

Stuwho
22nd November 2016, 12:28 AM
Fitted & working ok. Needed a plug for power etc, & adaptor for aerial. As said in a previous thread, reception is crap, even worse with the new stereo, so waiting on a booster to be delivered. Only cost around £4 on ebay, so not expecting miracles. If it's still crap, might have to just get a new aerial.