PDA

View Full Version : New alloys but what wheel nuts?

chillax
11th October 2016, 11:08 AM
Hi guys. Bought a set of wheels (aftermarket) 2nd hand for the Cooper but need longer slimline studs as the socket won't fit on them. The original studs sit away down inside the holes, so can't get a socket or wheel brace near them.

Here's the wheels

Anyone know if I can get the studs locally or will it need to be online? Any links would be great as I can't seem to track any down. Oh it's for R56 08 plate.

Thanks!

MINI William
11th October 2016, 11:10 AM
Could get tuner bolts. We needed to run them on the GPs when we had the Rota's fitted for the same reason

CiderFex
11th October 2016, 03:03 PM
I had the same issue when I fitted my TD Imola RS to 1499.
I just nipped to Halfords and bought a slimline socket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chillax
11th October 2016, 03:09 PM
Hmmm, wonder if the slimline socket would do? Just a bit concerned that if the studs ever rounded for some reason would be impossible to get into them? Would like the tuner nuts/studs but can't find any listed.

- - - Updated - - -

You got a link to the tuner ones William?

- - - Updated - - -

MINI William
11th October 2016, 03:44 PM
Hmmm, wonder if the slimline socket would do? Just a bit concerned that if the studs ever rounded for some reason would be impossible to get into them? Would like the tuner nuts/studs but can't find any listed.

- - - Updated - - -

You got a link to the tuner ones William?

- - - Updated - - -

Just type Tuner Bolts into Google and a vast array of company's who supply come up including Halfords and Demon Tweeks

Dobboy
11th October 2016, 04:28 PM
Think you should maybe contact the supplier of they wheels and see what bolts they recommend. The OE studs may have the wrong angle collar on them, and as there doesn't appear to be much "meat" around that bolt hole i'd be wanting to make sure the stud is correct.

(I wouldn't be surprised if the correct studs have a collar that spins, which helps avoid chewing the meat that is there.)

Ivano
11th October 2016, 05:03 PM
When i had Rotiform alloys on my VW, I had to purchase the old style Skoda locking wheel nut as the only thing that would fit the wheels. Maybe worth considering the locking nut if you are going down that with your particular alloy. Every wheel is different i suppose.

Just a thought!