PDA

View Full Version : New Battery

Gasmark7
10th October 2016, 12:23 PM
Hello all. It's getting near that time of year again so I thought I'd get a new battery to see me over winter. Old one not holding its charge too well. Thought it would be simple but somebody said I need to get the battery " coded " to the car. ???????? And that it's got to go through a dealer. Surely not. Not for something as simple as this. Car is a March 2007 MCS R56. No stop start that I'm aware of. Any advice or recommendations would be good.

Thanks

Mon the fish
10th October 2016, 03:52 PM
No. Plug and play

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

stoney
10th October 2016, 05:08 PM
As above

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Gasmark7
10th October 2016, 05:15 PM
What on earth is this " coding " thing??

badwolf340
10th October 2016, 07:52 PM
Under certain circumstances the car (ECU) has to know when the battery has been changed, same with an alternator all to do with charging rates.

MINI William
10th October 2016, 09:00 PM
Under certain circumstances the car (ECU) has to know when the battery has been changed, same with an alternator all to do with charging rates.

I remember Dan telling us this that on certain cars for certain circumstances the battery will need to be coded

Mon the fish
11th October 2016, 06:24 AM
If modern cars need batteries to be coded, that's another reason to steer clear IMO and look at older models.

Whatever next!

chillax
11th October 2016, 09:27 AM
If modern cars need batteries to be coded, that's another reason to steer clear IMO and look at older models.

Whatever next!

My thoughts exactly!