PDA

View Full Version : R53 Head unit query

Dobboy
7th October 2016, 01:15 PM
My CD player is being temperamental when playing discs.

IIRC the vin data on the car stated that it is Radio Boost, CD player, and CD changer I-bus prepared (does that mean the wiring is there for a multi cd exchanger in the boot?)

anyway, would a replacement identical head unit need coded to the car, or is it plug and play?

Thanks in advance

Mon the fish
7th October 2016, 04:23 PM
Yes you will have CD changer prep. When I ordered mine many years ago, the dealer told me all the head units were coded to the car.

Defo nonsense as I swapped mine from cassette boost to CD boost years ago - plug and play, no issues

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

emicen
7th October 2016, 06:49 PM
Yep, never had one that actually needed coding although I have heard the same chat.

I'm having a clear out the now, got a couple of CD headunits I'm wanting rid of if you need an OEM replacement.

Dobboy
10th October 2016, 11:01 AM
Yep, never had one that actually needed coding although I have heard the same chat.

I'm having a clear out the now, got a couple of CD headunits I'm wanting rid of if you need an OEM replacement.

Cool. how much are you looking for?

emicen
10th October 2016, 06:14 PM
£20

Need to know what type your car has, the pins or blades connector.

Dobboy
11th October 2016, 04:21 PM
£20 sounds good to me.

I'll need to get mine out and see what it has then take it from there. (its a 2005 car if that makes any odds).

ianking
28th October 2016, 01:11 PM
Boost are the flat pins and wave are the round pins.

The only gen 1 radios that are coded are the ones that have a factory H/K hi-fi as the system is coded to send the sound via the amp. Otherwise all gen 1 radios can be put between other cars. If a car had round pins from a wave cassette and you wanted to fit a flat pin boost CD player then you can buy a wiring converter for this.