PDA

View Full Version : Death Rattle 😭

JCW Polea
21st September 2016, 02:14 PM
My 61 plate JCW has recently developed the dreaded death rattle (oh ****). Dont want to leave it to long so the chain snaps then its really OH ****! Been quoted £498 to do the chain, tensioner, sprockets and all new bolts, basically everything on the timing side. This any good?

badwolf340
21st September 2016, 06:52 PM
My 61 plate JCW has recently developed the dreaded death rattle (oh ****). Dont want to leave it to long so the chain snaps then its really OH ****! Been quoted £498 to do the chain, tensioner, sprockets and all new bolts, basically everything on the timing side. This any good?
give Douglas at B&M a shout and see what he can do (site sponsor)

JCW Polea
22nd September 2016, 09:06 AM
Cheers will give him a shout!

Dobboy
22nd September 2016, 02:24 PM
If this is just recent i'd be inclined to change the tensioner and oil only, before spending big money.

Mine went on my R53 not long after I bought it, I think it was probably because the oil was a bit low tbh.

The longest part of the job is jacking the car up and getting the wheel off, and the tensioner part itself (the bit that fills up with oil) is only £30 odd quid from BMW.

The chain won't snap, but if you kick it's head in the chain could skip a tooth on the crank sprocket because the chain is slacker than it should be.... then it's curtains.

Job is a doddle with a short wobble bar type socket set; it's one bolt/hex you need to loosen/tighten.

stoney
22nd September 2016, 06:42 PM
If this is just recent i'd be inclined to change the tensioner and oil only, before spending big money.

Mine went on my R53 not long after I bought it, I think it was probably because the oil was a bit low tbh.

The longest part of the job is jacking the car up and getting the wheel off, and the tensioner part itself (the bit that fills up with oil) is only £30 odd quid from BMW.

The chain won't snap, but if you kick it's head in the chain could skip a tooth on the crank sprocket because the chain is slacker than it should be.... then it's curtains.

Job is a doddle with a short wobble bar type socket set; it's one bolt/hex you need to loosen/tighten.

Wrong age aof mini the above is the R56 yours and mine are r53

MINI William
23rd September 2016, 06:37 AM
As above speak with Douglas at B&M

Dobboy
23rd September 2016, 01:38 PM
Wrong age aof mini the above is the R56 yours and mine are r53

Yeah I realised that, but looking at the engine block diagram, it seems the same job and same part.