PDA

View Full Version : Labourers??

Ss82
10th September 2016, 07:49 PM
Anyone on here? Thinkin bout changing careers and I like the sounds of this as a job as I like to be very physical and on the move constantly. Only worry is not being in constant employment. ..is this a real worry with this kind job?
Thru time id like to learn a trade too,bare in mind im 33 now and no how to graft

Cheers

digi
11th September 2016, 12:38 AM
personally in your position id go for a modern apprenticeship . lots of company now prefer a more mature candidate than a school leaver . labouring looks like good money but its a hard thankless task

Ss82
11th September 2016, 07:16 AM
Problem iv got is I cant drop too much in wages and worried as a apprentice ill end up makon peanuts

Can u work for a company and do a apprentice course at the same time? Iv only just started lookin at this kind stuff, not to sure what to expect, gonna go down job centre on tuesday n speak to them too

EcosseGP
11th September 2016, 11:31 AM
Brian's in the building trade and may be better placed to answer your questions, however they're just in the process of a house move do don't have broadband etc at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ianstwt_r59
11th September 2016, 01:51 PM
Thing is with labourers is most of them are on the same money all the time. Like when I left school then started with £8 a hour and still on that **** £8. Where as I started from the bottom and now a qualified plasterer. While I'm leaving tiling at work. Where as the modern apprenticeship thing I'm not sure if a lot businesses do them.

Ss82
11th September 2016, 02:06 PM
See 8quid a hour wud b ok the now aslong as I clear over a grand a month for the time being, take it if ur a labourer u cant really progress to more?ur always gonna be a labourer if you get me, like would the company not put u thru courses if you showed enough initiative?or is that on ur head to go for courses?

I fancy being a bricky as its constant physical manual work but not sure if its kindo a **** trade since you canni really brick lay in ****/wet/cold weather

Ianstwt_r59
11th September 2016, 02:21 PM
Iv never heard of labourers going up in wage, could be wrong. Yeah but a way any trade is manual labour. I know a few brickies that they work all summer as when it comes to winter it's hard to find a dry day or evem a
Mild one.

Ss82
11th September 2016, 02:25 PM
Yeh thats wat worries me bout a trade like that, dont think I could do plumbing or sparkie they seem pretty complicated and dont think id have patience to be a plasterer lol

stoney
11th September 2016, 02:43 PM
Could always look in difftent trade there is more traded out there than you thin just have to look.

Ss82
11th September 2016, 02:52 PM
As said gonna have a chat at job centre on tuesday see what I could go for etc

badwolf340
12th September 2016, 10:42 AM
The term labourer now a days is generally left for small type building firms ,the way forward for you would to become a ground worker with a larger firm and learn from there the many roles needed for a ground worker and with it a wage package

Ss82
12th September 2016, 11:31 AM
Someone mentioned ground worker to me aswell, take it as a ground worker you can learn different trades and progress?

badwolf340
12th September 2016, 12:44 PM
Someone mentioned ground worker to me aswell, take it as a ground worker you can learn different trades and progress?
Spot on :thumbs up:

Ss82
12th September 2016, 01:38 PM
Cool cool cheers bud will have a chat bout that tomorrow ;)

badwolf340
24th September 2016, 06:37 AM
Any updates ?