PDA

View Full Version : Timing Chains - all

Simboy1973
23rd July 2016, 08:28 PM
Can I ask you all a very obvious question.
I'm new to the mini scene, just bought a R56 Cooper S.

Question. Is the timing chain on the supercharged, Turbocharged N14/N18 engines - the same or are some single or double width chains etc. I'm just wondering. Don't laugh, I expect them to all be very different.

I'll tell you more later once I've had a few replies. I'm sure there could be a mini parts person on the forum to explain the difference, especially when ordering one.

Thanks Si :thumbs up:

stoney
23rd July 2016, 10:57 PM
They will be different I would think as it's 2 different engines

stoney
23rd July 2016, 11:07 PM
R53
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=RE32-EUR-02-2004-R53-Mini-Cooper_S&diagId=11_3095

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160723/c8a724ebee3483c7f02ea97cfaacb045.jpg

R56 N14
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=MF73-USA-05-2008-R56-Mini-Cooper_S&diagId=11_3924

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160723/3828685a0e477d5426374cfc86f50241.jpg

Simboy1973
23rd July 2016, 11:47 PM
OK so this has what happened to my wee Turbo mini.

Collected my new toy, a couple of days later, after starting up without the stereo blaring, i heard a wee diesel rattle. Lasted about 40/50 seconds around 1500/1800 revs. Called the garage, they advised bring it in when you can.
They did the checks, thinking it was going to be the timing chain it turns out it was the vanos. Another ordered and fitted, i was asked if i wanted the timing chain kit fitted as they were in the correct part of the engine, if i footed the bill for the kit they'd kit FOC.
Grudgingly, i agreed. We agreed when id collect. The day before collection, i got a call - good news - bad news. The kits been fitted with the vanos, the noise was still there. We will have to investigate. Oh, go on then.

It turns out they've fitted a new head, T/Chain kit and vanos. The head because, Mini supplied a kit where the chain (unknown to the mechanic) was 3 links longer than the one that came off.
Hence the question, are the chains the same, for any of the Petrol S's engines.

So Mini supplied a chain last week, the garage fitted the kit (they deal in Mini's, so do these all the time), being 3 links longer - BANG - valves bend. New head, timing chain kit etc. Jobs a good un. All new and fit and healthy.

Strange story - but true.. Now time to enjoy. And no, the garage dealt with it and i've thankfully not had to put my hand in my pocket.
For the next week or so i'll be listening to every cold start, every revolution.. But i cant say anything bad as every step of the way i've been kept in the loop and been in to see the car in strip down so know there was no bollocks.

Next, zorst n airfilter

S

stoney
24th July 2016, 08:54 AM
Glad you have it sorted now

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

badwolf340
24th July 2016, 09:44 AM
Good news that it's fixed ,pity about the mix up with the chain size

stoney
24th July 2016, 10:16 AM
What i wonder is is there a difference from the n14 to the n18 and thats possibly where the mix up has been ?

Simboy1973
24th July 2016, 10:59 AM
Exactly why i asked. Do the timing kits looks the same. Was it a packing or picking problem by the main dealer. I know the garage are now pursuing it.
Im glad the mini's on the mend. I've asked them to keep the car and use it for a day and keep it over night to ensure there are no noises before i take final delivery..
Im sure all will be fine.
Si

stoney
24th July 2016, 11:20 AM
Exactly why i asked. Do the timing kits looks the same. Was it a packing or picking problem by the main dealer. I know the garage are now pursuing it.
Im glad the mini's on the mend. I've asked them to keep the car and use it for a day and keep it over night to ensure there are no noises before i take final delivery..
Im sure all will be fine.
Si
Either way the garage sholud have put the 2 chains side by side to check the length before fitting.
But it sounds like the garage agree with what im saying if they have replaced it all for free. I would not worry about it let them take it up with MINI if was supplied wrong.

Simboy1973
24th July 2016, 12:15 PM
I agree, not getting involved. Just want ma wee car back.

Si

Simboy1973
20th August 2016, 09:47 PM
Well an update. Sadly I've no longer got the mini.
It turns out after an extended time in the garage that the wrong timing chain was fitted (I didn't know). There was a coming together of pistons and valves, new Pistons and cyclinder head etc fitted, while it was in the garage. They owned up to the calamity and I said I wanted my old car back and the cash. I didn't have any faith in it once it had so many new parts fitted. The garage did the swap back without question.

The following day I looked at 5 further S's in dealerships all around 08/09'plates, oh and a 60 too, but was a bit pricey.
Now given the history of my 08 plate and the issues with the chain and the death rattle I reluctantly decided to not buy another MK2 MCS. Boooooooo I hear you say. I must have just had bad luck. So, never say never I'm on the hunt for a Supercharged S as a weekend toy. Hopefully it's a straight forward painfree experience.

Going back to the Mk2 S. The new owners been in contact and sadly, very sadly the MCS hasn't lived to fight another day.

Maybe it wasn't meant to be.

Si

badwolf340
21st August 2016, 08:02 AM
That's not so good ,but as long as you are not stuck with it ,and all down to the wrong part being fitted

Simboy1973
21st August 2016, 09:18 AM
Indeed. So buying an old R53 S looks like a plan, a weekend toy.
Tell me they're OK. Apart from the fuel consumption and road tax.

Si

stoney
21st August 2016, 09:20 AM
Thats a shame but as said at least they owned up to it !!

Simboy1973
21st August 2016, 05:17 PM
They owned up to me but not the new owner it seems. I've pm'd the new owner to see if they got a positive outcome at the dealer. Hopefully they've been dealt with in the same manner as I was. I hope they don't get burnt on that S.