PDA

View Full Version : Registering a Key (2005 R53)

Dobboy
21st July 2016, 06:47 PM
Does anyone know if you can register a new/different key on an 2005 R53?

I know it can be done on 2006 models, simple procedure using ignition and holding unlock whilst hitting lock 3 times.

I've tried the above but either the battery is duff or it doesn't work.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
21st July 2016, 09:54 PM
Can you start the car with the key?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dobboy
21st July 2016, 11:19 PM
Sort of.

I bought a blank and had it cut. I also bought a second hand OE key, to remove the blade from and replace with the one I got cut.

The cut blade starts no prob and opens door, but I'm wanting to program/register the fob on the second hand one.

Does that make sense?

Mon the fish
22nd July 2016, 06:16 AM
In that case I think it's a dealer job to program the chip on the key to the immobiliser. The reason I asked is that on one of my keys the battery went flat a few years ago. Going for a decent drive charged the key, and I was then able to re-sync the key to the car. This only worked because the key was already registered to the car

Dobboy
22nd July 2016, 06:52 AM
I see. I think I'll try taping the new fob to my good key and clocking up some miles and see if it charges. There must be a sort of inductive loop around the ignition that charges them and take it from there.

According to various threads the procedure I tried earlier should work on a new key, I don't see why it wouldn't work on a used key.

Worth a shot anyway as no doubt bmw would want an arm and a leg.

Cheers for the info.

stoney
22nd July 2016, 09:43 AM
I see. I think I'll try taping the new fob to my good key and clocking up some miles and see if it charges. There must be a sort of inductive loop around the ignition that charges them and take it from there.

According to various threads the procedure I tried earlier should work on a new key, I don't see why it wouldn't work on a used key.

Worth a shot anyway as no doubt bmw would want an arm and a leg.

Cheers for the info.

Speak with B and M Douglas should be able to help they are site sponsors