PDA

View Full Version : Timing chain kit & replacement

Ss82
30th June 2016, 09:34 PM
What garages would ppl recommend in Edinburgh area?

Also wat ballpark figure is realistic? Price of the kit varies like mad too :(

MINI William
1st July 2016, 06:47 AM
I would recommend Douglas and his team at B&M. They aren't based in Edinburgh but the guys are great

Ss82
1st July 2016, 07:56 AM
I emailed him for a quote a while back but cant find it now :( iv emailed him alot so didnt wanna bother him again haha

Reaper
1st July 2016, 09:04 AM
Give them a call bud I know there really busy just now with a engine rebuild and a lot of other things

Ss82
1st July 2016, 11:47 AM
Also lookin as videos I take it a failin chain makes the car sound like a diesel black cab? Thats what sounds like from afew videos??

Dobboy
1st July 2016, 02:33 PM
If the tensioner has failed the car will sound like a diesel. There is a little oil operated piston think that fills with oil, pushes out, and pressed against the rail, which tightens the chain.

I changed mine (R53), easy quick job.

But if it's the chain itself it's a different thing.

If the chain is running slack for whatever reason you shouldn't drive it as you could jump a tooth on a sprocket, jump the timing, and feck your head big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ss82
1st July 2016, 02:54 PM
Iv not got the car yet just covering all my bases lol

Douglas quoted 450+ vat

N16SHP
1st July 2016, 02:57 PM
Usually the problem goes away after the car has idled for a couple of minutes and got up to temperature and all the oil is circulating as it should. It's because it is not filling quick enough that you get the noise where it sounds like a tractor. You shouldn't have any issues driving it until you get your fix if the noise goes away after cold start up but if it is maintained once it's fully up to temperature then I would not drive it in that condition.

This is what mine sounded like (and also the video evidence that was required to have the issue fixed by the dealer as they apparently "couldn't hear any problems with it on cold start!")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D24zJsaYXko

Ss82
1st July 2016, 03:02 PM
Please tell me that's the death rattle n not jus normal sound for cold starts