PDA

View Full Version : Looking At Classics

Gismo
30th September 2004, 06:56 AM
I've been contemplating a classic for a while now and came across this Mini (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38708&item=2491089965&rd=1) on eBay:-

Can any of you classic guys give me any advice on any potential problems, ie, blown engine (ooerr :I) difficult to keep in tune, is it worth the current price

It looks like there are no rear seats or rear parcel shelf to speak of, was thinking along the lines of a super sound install there, but, that would be in the future, so, what hassle would it be to get a rear seat set up

Basically any advice greatly appreciated :)

Gismo
30th September 2004, 07:17 AM
Here is a reply i received from the seller:-

"the car was first reg in 1968 but was exported to japan from new and then returned to be registered here in 1970, hence the 'H' plate...i have heritage certificate to back this up.....even though it is tax exempt you still have to display a tax disc to avoid prosecution and this was put on the day after mot and displays 'historic vehicle' (great feeling getting car tax for nothing from post office)......bonnet is a fibreglass item which has raised bulge to let out the extra heat from turbo engine,and probably looks misaligned as you say because of the way its mounted but looks good....this is the second turbo mini ive owned and the engines last well but as with any modified car will need an eye kept on them but nothing major and anyone familiar with metros/minis will have no problem.... the gearbox, if any, is the weak link, but this has good box and crosspin diff so no problems there...obviously they won't last 50000 miles.....160 bhp is very realistic with this engine,but will need the intercooler setup that i have, which, comes with it installed...i know of 4 or 5 cars with this spec and performance figures of around 0-60 5 secs....1/4 mile high 13's but if i was to keep it, i would have it rolling roaded and set up to around 130 bhp as this is still awesome performance at that level....as for stereo !....have you been in a mini with straight cut drops? its a definite no no, as would driving it for more than a hour...this car was built as a toy for me and occassional track use, which is why there is no mod cons or rear seats (still have them) fitted and is not one for the classic purists but a mint condition very quick, well built road/track fun car"

Duncan Stewart
30th September 2004, 04:59 PM
Mmmmm! what a nice toy :D
The best advice with any classic is you have to look at it very carefully - difficult when it is so far away.
How does it drive & what quality is the bodywork / repairs / paint? - get it checked properly if you are not sure yourself. The best advice IMO would be to go down and get it checked by AA / RAC or similar inspection. Price is very difficult to judge but the current bid is for a top quality resto not a quick patch up job.
One thing I notice is that it is a mark 3 or newer shell but a 68 should be a mark 2 shell so it has been reshelled sometime. Rear lights are from a late 70's or newer mini.
Hope this helps and best of luck.
It would be great to see a classic overtaking a new Cooper S on a run :p:eek:;)

broken_brian
30th September 2004, 07:10 PM
as duncan said it has had a reshell at some point bedause it has mk 4 reaer lights and getting rear seats for them is not a problem one thing tho i wouldnt bother with putting a big sound system in the car as the sound off of the straight cut drops will be loud enough unless you want to be playing your music at a very high volume and as for his 150 bhp power claim i wouldnt like to put that through the standard box you would need a nice straight cut dog box for that and then you really wouldnt need a stereo :D

Steve74
30th September 2004, 07:33 PM
Looks very nice - I wonder what he wants for it?

Would match your S!

Gismo
30th September 2004, 07:41 PM
Just exactly how loud are the straight cut drops ?? that means i couldn't listen to a stereo at all, hmm, not sure then.
I want the car to be driven on runs etc, if the gear box noise is gonna be too intrusive then maybe this car is not for me.

He has it advertised elsewhere for £4800 :eek: so i fully expect the eBay price to be withdrawn

Scottie
30th September 2004, 07:42 PM
well for whats it's worth I don't think you should buy. It's just not right.

Steve74
30th September 2004, 07:42 PM
There are a couple of nice cars that JC has

http://www.johncooper.co.uk/JohnCooperSite/category/Car+Sales%5FUsed+Classic+Minis/

Steve74
30th September 2004, 07:44 PM
You'd have to remove the sticker though...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mark4765/latest%20mini/rearos3.jpg

Gismo
30th September 2004, 07:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Steve74
Including the price :eek:
I mentioned the sticker to him, he said he left a new cooper for dead :evil:

Smurf
30th September 2004, 08:20 PM

http://www.johncooper.co.uk/JohnCooperSite/category/Car+Sales%5FUsed+Classic+Minis/

They look lovely, but BLOOMIN HECK look at the prices! :eek:

Burple
30th September 2004, 08:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Why not?
It's a well sorted wee motor!
Ok... I wouldn't buy it for a stereo install, the engine / box combo would be just too much. I've been in a similar specced car (without the turbo) on a track day... belive be, any more than an hour driving that would tire you out!
Like the guy says, for fun and track days.. hell yeah!! but for stereo gear... mmmmmm probably let it go.
Te best way to find out is to see if he'll let you go test drive it. that'll make your mind up! :D

Gismo
30th September 2004, 08:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
The best way to find out is to see if he'll let you go test drive it. that'll make your mind up! :D
Sadly it's just a bit too far away :( and yes he will allow me to drive it :p
So, i guess my minds made up then, shame, as i really fancied this, but, not if it's gonna make my ears hurt

Is there any way to quieten it down :question: using dynamat or something, anything :question:

Gismo
30th September 2004, 08:48 PM
Just noticed this, no worries, any reasoning :)

Duncan Stewart
30th September 2004, 08:52 PM
If you want a seriously fast classic mini that is reasonably comfortable and quite then I think the best bet is to find a totally sound standard car (as new a possible) - costing a few thousand then get a 16 valve Honda V-tec conversion done (approx £7K).
A lot on money but you are running a standard engine & 5 speed gearbox so should not couse much problems and the power a car as light as a classic mini will blow away most modern cars :cool:
Already converted cars may be cheaper but the quality of the conversion needs carefully checked.
It's not a A-series engine (so not a "proper" mini so might say) but the only realistic way to get everyday useable road power over 100 or so bhp.
I'm saving up for a 90bhp 1400cc engine for my classic which should make it as quick as my 03 Cooper :D

Gismo
30th September 2004, 08:58 PM
I certainly don't need it to have an A series engine or any other kind of mini engine, the V-tec sounds an interesting prospect, but, i'll not be spending that kind of money on it, hence why i was looking at the one i posted

Steve74
30th September 2004, 09:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Including the price :eek:
I mentioned the sticker to him, he said he left a new cooper for dead :evil:

yeh, they are pricy.

I think the grey one is pretty special. I would go for it but maybe offer 3900?

Scottie
30th September 2004, 09:23 PM

Just noticed this, no worries, any reasoning :)

Well this is just what I think. The other guys are quite right for track days and some fun it looks a fine car but you can never tell until you see then in the flesh. If I were looking for a classic then I would look for one as near to orginal as possible whether it was restored or not.
PL minis in yorkshire have some nice one's was there a couple of months ago.

MartinSullivan
30th September 2004, 09:34 PM
PL Minis do great quality work - they restored a classic for me a few years ago and it was fantastic.

you can check out their current stock of cars here

P&L Minis (http://www.plmini.com/stlt.htm)

Check out the £25,000 one about half way down :D

Scottie
30th September 2004, 09:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

PL Minis do great quality work - they restored a classic for me a few years ago and it was fantastic.

you can check out their current stock of cars here

P&L Minis (http://www.plmini.com/stlt.htm)

Check out the £25,000 one about half way down :D

That's the one I went to look at even nicer in the flesh

MartinSullivan
30th September 2004, 09:49 PM

I can well believe it Fiona, they do great quality work. Their spray work is some of the best I have seen as well - they did me a sprayed on union jack that looked fantastic.

Scottie
30th September 2004, 09:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

I can well believe it Fiona, they do great quality work. Their spray work is some of the best I have seen as well - they did me a sprayed on union jack that looked fantastic.

If you look at their web page it's the mini pick-up we've ended up almost buying but not quite yet Allan is still trying to persuade me.

Gismo
30th September 2004, 10:02 PM
Now i'm seriously tempted to get one of their made to order jobbies :p
Prices starting from £6k :eek: does anyone know what's offered for that other than what's quoted on the seb site??

MartinSullivan
30th September 2004, 10:12 PM

Now i'm seriously tempted to get one of their made to order jobbies :p
Prices starting from £6k :eek: does anyone know what's offered for that other than what's quoted on the seb site??

I have some literature somewhere on what they offer - will try and dig it out for you.

Also driven one of their VTEC conversions - that was serious fun!!!!

Its only about 30 miles away from my "holiday home" ;) so next time home I could get some stuff for you if you want

Gismo
30th September 2004, 10:24 PM
Have sent in my request to P&L for a list of what they have :p

MartinSullivan
30th September 2004, 10:26 PM
Cool, let us know what they come back with. Its about 5 years since they did a car for me - and they were quite a small outfit then - but they have grown a lot.

Scottie
30th September 2004, 10:47 PM

Have sent in my request to P&L for a list of what they have :p

Were meant to be going back there this weekend to see the pick-up but there is another chap interested so we're not to sure yet. If we're there will pick up what ever information they have .

Steve74
30th September 2004, 11:54 PM
Forget the Mini - how about one of these:

http://www.e-subversive.net/temp/damon2/auctionpage/Exterior-2.jpg
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18301&item=2491103060&rd=1

or

http://www.fiat500.cc/sharkbytes.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18301&item=2490970867&rd=1

Duncan Stewart
1st October 2004, 04:30 PM

I think he wants a car that can actually make it round a corner ;) :p

Steve74
1st October 2004, 05:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

I think he wants a car that can actually make it round a corner ;) :p

Ooo er missus:clown:

Gismo
3rd October 2004, 12:33 AM
Car went for £4600 :eek:

Steve74
4th October 2004, 06:38 PM

Car went for £4600 :eek:

That was a good price no?

Gismo
4th October 2004, 06:53 PM
That was a good price no?
I guess so, still not heard from P & L :mad:

minihabit
17th October 2004, 07:45 AM
Hi Alan,

There is/was a vgood Mini garage on the road to Cupar in Gateside - don't know if he is still there but he knew his stuff.

Personally wouldn't touch a turbo - too difficult. My own rec for a nice road car would be 1293 or 1310 with a stage 3ish engine. If you want it for fun driving also wouldn't touch 13" wheels - personal choice but borne of experience.

As lots of folks have said you have got to see it and drive it to be sure it suits you modified minis all have their own character.....

Brian

PS I have got straight cut drops and box - great in a competition car definite no for a road car!

Duncan Stewart
18th October 2004, 05:16 AM
MiniMart in Gateside - still there and good reputation.