PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from East Lothian

NB04
25th May 2016, 09:42 PM
Hi All,

My name is Alan and I have just upgraded from a 2010 BMW 325D to a '57 Mini Cooper S (R56).

She's not perfect but the drive is so much more involving! I've got a few questions already about how to improve things - the brakes are pretty rubbish, I'm not sure it's had much use recently - I'm sure I'll get lots of advice on how to spend my cash.

This looks to be a really great forum, thanks for the welcome I've received so far ;)

EcosseGP
25th May 2016, 10:33 PM
Welcome along Alan and yes you're right we'll give spending your cash a good going [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GreyRacer
25th May 2016, 10:41 PM
Hello Alan, I'm very often up in East Lothian. I'm originally from Dunbar and my mother still lives there.

Craig
25th May 2016, 11:47 PM
Hi Alan - best of luck with the new car and Welcome to NMS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonnie
26th May 2016, 04:20 AM
Welcome

MINI William
26th May 2016, 06:23 AM
Welcome to NMS Alan. Have a look at the meets and social section and get yourself along to a meet.

Can always look at upgrading the brakes there's a few options out there. What is it about the brakes that make you say they are rubbish? Might just need a bit of use

badwolf340
26th May 2016, 06:24 AM
:welcome:Alan great to have you on board ,NMS will be down in East Lothian on the 4Th of June for the ELMOC show have a look at the MINI meets &Social section to see what's going on :yes nod:

cuddles
26th May 2016, 06:27 AM
Welcome to NMS xx

Crombers
26th May 2016, 07:14 AM
Welcome to NMSland :saltireflag:

JOHN MILNE
26th May 2016, 07:16 AM
:welcome: another east lothian member:thumbs up:

NB04
26th May 2016, 11:19 PM
Hi thanks again everyone for the welcome!

Mini William, your right brakes are a bit better after a couple hundred mile. But there is corrosion on the discs and the pads are well used. I like a nice solid initial response from the brakes myself, so they are a definite target for upgrading.

I think the car has not seen much use recently though. There is a real musty smell I've been battling to get rid of inside. Various cleaning apparatus has been deployed, but the smell is still there :argh:

I heard about the ELMOC show, it's what brought me to NMS. I'm just over in North Berwick so I'll try and make it.

N16SHP
27th May 2016, 11:07 AM
Hi Alan, welcome to NMS. You are quite correct, we are a friendly bunch and we're always keen to help each other with solid advice from past experiences.

Get some pics up so we can all oo and ah at your R56 and also help other members spot you when you're out and about.

MINI William
27th May 2016, 11:51 AM
Hi thanks again everyone for the welcome!

Mini William, your right brakes are a bit better after a couple hundred mile. But there is corrosion on the discs and the pads are well used. I like a nice solid initial response from the brakes myself, so they are a definite target for upgrading.

I think the car has not seen much use recently though. There is a real musty smell I've been battling to get rid of inside. Various cleaning apparatus has been deployed, but the smell is still there :argh:

I heard about the ELMOC show, it's what brought me to NMS. I'm just over in North Berwick so I'll try and make it.

Might be worth looking at a new set of discs and pads then :thumbs up:

Do you want your car on the stand?

GreyRacer
27th May 2016, 12:41 PM
Hi Alan,

For your smell car smell buy a aerosol 'bomb' from Halfords, Comma one is good, and deploy it inside. Just follow the instructions.
It could be that the AC system needs cleaning out if been standing for a while. I do my cars annually with them to keep things fresh.
about 9-11 £ a tin.

NB04
30th May 2016, 09:02 PM
Yeh, think I'll have to get some new discs and pads soon. No - no stand for my car, I'll just be content to have a look around ;)

GreyRacer, I thought about one of those 'bomb' things. But Frebreeze seems to have worked it's magic. Having had a chance to have a good look a the interior this weekend, I think there's been a dog in the car. Lots of little hairs around and a few scratches. Much better now though.

I bought an AC cleaner for my BMW earlier this year. The smell coming out of it's AC was quite fruity. It worked really well. I'm so sure where to get to the evaporator on the Mini. Can you point me in the right direction?