PDA

View Full Version : 51 plate MINI to 54 plate MINI in one giant leap!

lightbody
29th September 2004, 06:26 AM
Got my new MINI today! Am mega-chuffed. Its far better (so far) than I'd hoped! It has everything that was good about my previous one, but lots that is better.

Initial impressions are that it feels far more 'alert', nippy and darty. The engine is more responsive and initial turn-in is better. It feels MORE like classic Mini which i'm pleased about because I had read that they'd softened up the 'plus' suspension... doesnt feel like it to me!

Also - feels far more solid, doors shut with a proper 'thunk' noise, and lots of nice wee things have been spotted. When did they make the dash-top soft? Thats nice... its was brittle and creaky on my 51 MINI from day one.

H/K sound is fab, folding mirrors are great (i need them), traction control is coming in handy, sports seats are nice (but I still dont think essential!), instant-mpg and instant-speed are nice additions. The wee extra map-lights aren't as naff as I'd thought they would be but I miss my clock.

Phew! I've been ill with a very bad flu/cold thing for the past couple of weeks... 'Dennis' has cheered me up tonight!

http://www.roblightbody.com/pics/redmini_1b.jpg

duncan
29th September 2004, 06:41 AM
Congrats on your new arrival Rob, hope you and Dennis have many a happy mile together!

KenL
29th September 2004, 08:54 AM
Very nice Rob, good luck with it. Red/black is a great colour combo. I also like those wheels are they the new 16" ones?

Smurf
29th September 2004, 03:57 PM
I said all this on the Mini Clan forum - VERY nice!
Like the wheels.
When are the black bonnet stripes going on? How about REAL Dennis stripes, black ones round the car from side to side? LOL.

Wishing the two of you MANY happy years together.

Willie M
29th September 2004, 03:58 PM
Very nice indeed Rob, looking splendid :cool:
Hope you have many happy miles together.

Wul
29th September 2004, 04:22 PM
Looks lurverly Rob - really like those wheels too :)

GAJ
29th September 2004, 04:27 PM
Very nice Rob! I really like red/black too! Glad to see the red interior!

Duncan Stewart
29th September 2004, 04:50 PM
Superb Rob. The red / black combo works so well on the new Mini and I love the new 16" Fin alloys. Surprised it feels quicker than your last mini as a brand new engine needs to do a few thousand miles to loosen up properly and give full power. Maybe it's the new gear ratios - does the new gearbox feel any different?

Heather
29th September 2004, 05:11 PM
Nice one Rob. Have you stopped smiling yet? Hope to see you around town soon.:D:D

Mini Martyn
29th September 2004, 05:12 PM
MMmmmm Nice, I wish you all the best Rob!! :cool:

Steve74
29th September 2004, 05:33 PM
Very nice Rob, like the red/black combo.:cool:

HK is well worth it isn't it!

Jeff
30th September 2004, 02:40 AM
Good stuff Rob, I still think red and white is better!!!!

macblob
30th September 2004, 03:34 AM
Nice one Rob, Hope all goes well with the new beasty

lightbody
30th September 2004, 03:43 AM
Thanks everyone!

Despite still being ill, I went out for a wee 'skoot' tonight and he's still fab :)

Interior is only red on the seats - nice & subtle.

I like the wheels too, although expect they'll get *very* common as they're the standard Chili pack ones.

I never had any problems with the old gearbox, but the new one is superb. Smooth, slick and 'clicky' - hard to describe.

It definitely feels far more responsive... the old one always felt dead away from the lights - i'm not sure if the new one is improved or if my old one was below par.

Oh - and the steering doesn't whine!!! Fantastic! (well its about 10 times quieter than my last one ever was).

Niggles? Having spent a fortune on the stereo, it only comes with a single-sheet pamphlet for instructions and i can't figure out the random function for MP3-CDs. The key feels cheap and the plastic gearknob is a backwards step.

eddie 44
30th September 2004, 04:50 AM
looks fantastic :p:p:p

Smurf
30th September 2004, 05:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

the plastic gearknob is a backwards step.

But you won't have to wear gloves in the winter!!
My left hand FREEZES to the gearknob on cold days......

Looking forward to meeing him sometime! Hope you feel better soon too....

KenL
30th September 2004, 05:51 AM
Glad to see you can now opt for red seats but not have to get the red door panels etc, they were a bit OTT for my taste - but I do drive a boring Golf now :p

A plastic gearknob seems a bit penny pinching. Why not splash out on a Whalen Rob, I really liked mine.