PDA

View Full Version : Great start to mini ownership

Reaper
18th May 2016, 09:55 AM
Picked up the car yesterday driving back from London got past Blackpool and started getting bad smell of fuel and white smoke then when put foot down turns into black smoke any advice would be great

Supercharger kicks in and pulls just this smell and smoke issue

Eddie_JCW
18th May 2016, 10:28 AM
Could be a whole load of things but white smoke I'd take a wild guess at piston rings I'm sure someone who knows more about the R53 will be along shortly. Might be worth while calling B&M Centre (they're a NMS sponsor)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Eddie_JCW
18th May 2016, 10:56 AM
Possibly an oil seal somewhere.

Reaper
18th May 2016, 12:39 PM
That's what I was thinking oil seals other than this loving it great wee car smiles all the way home even with the smoking

MINI William
18th May 2016, 12:57 PM
As Eddie has suggested, worth giving B&M a call

EcosseGP
18th May 2016, 05:03 PM
Did you check the oil levels on it to make sure there was enough or wasn't too much oil in it ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaper
18th May 2016, 05:22 PM
Yeah checked that also today when going round left turns the oil light flickers a few times

Eddie_JCW
18th May 2016, 08:04 PM
You should really stop driving it, normally if the oil light comes on its already doing damage.

EcosseGP
18th May 2016, 08:19 PM
I would say so too Eddie. It's clearly got an issue and it's good that you've managed to get it home but protect what you have at the moment and get everything checked.

Reaper
18th May 2016, 09:01 PM
Yeah I'm not driving it anymore until I find out what's going on with it just wanted to get home and sleep now I have done both I'm going to investigate and find out what's happening with the car

Reaper
20th May 2016, 08:32 PM
Did a bit of investigation today and after removing plugs found all 4 of them were different plugs makes so went and got some new ones and while I was there picked up ht leads seems to run smoother than it was before fingers crossed that was the problem with the smell of fuel

EcosseGP
20th May 2016, 08:47 PM
^^ fingers crossed and if so it was an easy fix.

Reaper
20th May 2016, 09:12 PM
Yeah fingers crossed but what I don't get is why would anyone put in different plugs that aren't even for that type of car in the first place

MINI William
20th May 2016, 09:49 PM
Hopefully it was an easy fix. It always amazes me why people try and do the likes on the cheap

Reaper
28th May 2016, 01:28 PM
All parts ordered to do piston rings and head gasket kit timing chain and con rod bearings

In fact full engine rebuild why not eliminate any other problems before they hit and cause problems just need my garage to do the work once parts get here

Reaper
31st May 2016, 04:26 PM
Cars booked in with B&M centre get this problem sorted

Craig
31st May 2016, 05:41 PM
Douglas and the team will look after you . Hope this gets it fixed once and for all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaper
31st May 2016, 05:48 PM
Yeah fingers crossed also getting the head skimmed and pressure tested and a few more things done at the same time hopefully get car back on the road and enjoying it

Reaper
20th June 2016, 09:09 PM
That's the car away to B&M centre fingers crossed get it back next week and all sorted then will begin swapping out old parts with uprated parts

MINI William
20th June 2016, 10:45 PM
Fantastic, Douglas is a top guy. Looking forward to an update

Reaper
20th June 2016, 11:15 PM
Yeah sounded like he knows his stuff and gave a good price also so fingers crossed it's not to bad afterwards and don't need much more work done

Reaper
11th July 2016, 05:21 PM
Just had a call from the garage with an update not what I was expecting just about everything that was removed from the engine was broken or majorly worn only thing that's not damaged was the bores rough repair bill £1800

They want me to come in and see it as someone has had it stripped before and made a total mess of the engine and probably made things a lot worse than they where and did a bodged repair just to sell it on for someone else to have major headaches with it

c9aan
11th July 2016, 05:47 PM
That's not good at all ,

Reaper
11th July 2016, 06:08 PM
Certainly not good at all had gone in to get work done on the engine with parts supplied and once got into it found a lot more problems someone has tried to cover up

Quote from garage I'm surprised it was even running let alone anything else

Ss82
11th July 2016, 06:34 PM
Thats ****e bud :( was it a private sale or from garage?

Dobboy
11th July 2016, 07:01 PM
Bad luck.

Think I'd be more inclined to find an engine from a breaker, much cheaper and quicker turnaround.

EcosseGP
11th July 2016, 07:43 PM
Total nightmare when that happens that's for sure. Maybe looking back you should've stopped and turned around and dropped it back to the seller ... but hindsight is a great thing. Think I'd be inclined to work out what the total cost is v what I intend to do with the car at £1800 it's an expensive fix ... Good luck

EcosseGP
11th July 2016, 07:45 PM
Think I'd be more inclined to find an engine from a breaker, much cheaper and quicker turnaround.

Sometimes you can inherit more problems doing that too which is where the dilemma kicks in.

Craig
11th July 2016, 07:50 PM
That's terrible news.... One thing is once Douglas and the guys have done their job, it will be right [emoji2]

Reaper
11th July 2016, 08:03 PM
Yeah I'm thinking about that weighting up all options only problem getting a engine from a breakers is you don't know how it is and could end up in the Same way as for time wise it's been away 3 weeks already but that doesn't bother me.

I have been looking at this side of things if I go ahead with the repair then I know I will have at least 100k worth of enjoyment out of the engine and rather than getting rid or getting a 2nd hand engine

Dobboy
12th July 2016, 07:52 AM
Tell who might be worth a shot, UPullit at Inverkeithing, they had a smashed R53 in a wee while ago. When I went to it the engine and box were out but they might do this as a matter of course with their "premier" car parts and it might be on the shelf. IIRC it was fairly low mileage 60/70k. They might even give a guarantee with their engines.

Reaper
12th July 2016, 10:36 AM
I have been in there last month also as needed a boot handle asked about the engine as a bit of a backup plan but it was already gone.

Dobboy
12th July 2016, 12:49 PM
I got the boot handle [emoji3]

The daft bird only charged me £3!

Dobboy
12th July 2016, 12:50 PM
I've got a spare dark silver handle if you need it, but the lights are knacked in it, although I did buy new lenses and bulbs for it.

Reaper
12th July 2016, 09:53 PM
Thanks but picked one up and fitted led number plate lights sealed it up to stop water getting into them again.

Quick update on the car went into see it and the engine was in some state Douglas and the guys still can't get over how it was still running and I can't also told them to go a head with the repair work so looks like the mini world is stuck with me for a good while as not going to sell the car and get my money's worth outta it and enjoyment.

Already been looking at uprated parts for the car like
AP RACING 4 port brake kit
Airtech intercooler
ROTA GRID WHEELS in black
Miltec exhaust
Janspeed downpipe
Reduced super charger pulley
Remapped to link all this up also
Just to name a few things

c9aan
12th July 2016, 10:20 PM
I have a new Kav 15% pulley kit for sale its in the for sale section £100 belt and plugs included all new in the box

stoney
12th July 2016, 10:24 PM
Glad your getting it fixed i have just got mine back after being mapped to all my parts and its fantastic fun

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Reaper
12th July 2016, 10:33 PM
Thanks c9aan but these parts won't be happening until the repair is outta the way and i get back on my feet and engine run in and had a bit of enjoyment out of the car probably be talking after Xmas before these happen