PDA

View Full Version : Buying

Reaper
15th May 2016, 09:58 PM
As some know I'm hopefully getting my mini tomorrow if everything is alright with it but my question/questions is

What should I look out for check over other than the normal stuff

This is the first supercharged car I have owned

How is the clutch and steering meant to be? I know some cars can be light, to heavy depending upon the car

Thanks in advance

Sorry I posted this in the wrong area

stoney
16th May 2016, 07:19 AM
It's a fairly heavy clutch and steering in the mini.
Loud ticking / rattle to Lisbon for from eng bay may be timing chain or charger

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

EcosseGP
16th May 2016, 08:58 AM
It's like buying any car. Have a good look over it and if it doesn't feel right then walk away there's always another one round the corner.
Check the receipts/service history (if there is one)
Older cars still have a wee bit of history with rust usually where the tailgate meets the boot handle. Some have been sorted but others show a small about of bubbling.
Every car feels different but the gearbox can be stiff sometimes. This isn't a big problem as such but it may require the cables being replaced. Some gearboxes may be noisy too again a common fault with the "idler" shaft but the noise will go away once the clutch is depressed.
Common sense usually tells you if it's the right car ... but sometimes any of the above don't make it a bad car just means you need to take anything you want to fix into the price of buying the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaper
16th May 2016, 10:19 AM
Cheers for the information just thought I'd ask as it's always nice to have a bit more information on what to look out for on something you haven't had before also what better place than a group of people who own them and had this experience of driving them and owning for years