PDA

View Full Version : Fud of the month award goes to ME

Crombers
6th May 2016, 08:49 PM
On checking over the MINI prior to HB2 I noticed that the oil & expansion chamber could do with topping up. What happened next is beyond me now & utterly unexplainable!

I've only gone & topped up the coolant with power steering fluid!! then given the car a quick 10 minute run!! AAAAAARRRRRRHHHHHH ... WTF & WHY

Phoned my mechanic/engineer straight away & he reckons we will be ok to empty the expandion chamber to remove the PSF. What I don't get is won't this now be through the water system & require a full flush.

Again ...... What a FUD

Craig
6th May 2016, 08:59 PM
Doh ! That's not good mate. Hope you get this sorted easily [emoji106][emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crombers
6th May 2016, 09:07 PM
Doh ! That's not good mate. Hope you get this sorted easily [emoji106][emoji2]

Cheers mate, the worst thing is thinking (or lack of) that I was doing the right thing at the time.

Unfathomable!!

Craig
6th May 2016, 09:08 PM
About as good as one of my neighbours putting oil in where the petrol goes on his brand new petrol mower #thatsitbuggered

weefossy
6th May 2016, 09:22 PM
FUD........I would drain whole system, if you have time. Worth the cost of a bottle of antifreeze. Got a convertible you could use for The HBT if you are stuck!!

Crombers
6th May 2016, 09:35 PM
FUD........I would drain whole system, if you have time. Worth the cost of a bottle of antifreeze. Got a convertible you could use for The HBT if you are stuck!!

Cheers Malcolm, a complete flush is my way of thinking & cheers for the offer, hopefully won't need to take you up on it & fingers crossed.

CiderFex
6th May 2016, 09:38 PM
Ah FFS !!!
I hope all gets sorted favourably.
[emoji1303]

EcosseGP
6th May 2016, 10:27 PM
Well I couldn't agree more with the award Alan ... However, do not panic. It's an easy fix the best thing to do would be to make sure you have plenty of anti freeze and then drain all the coolant off. I'm not too sure how much power steering fluid you put in but all you need to do is pull off the lower water pipe on the radiator and drain the system. Once empty pop a hosepipe in the expansion bottle, turn on the tap and let it flush out the full system. Pop the pipe back on after its run through for a couple of minutes and refill. You could have it all done in about an hour tops. They'll be no damage done just the award to savour ... If you can get it on the ramp ideal if not jack up the near side front it's the easiest way to get to the lower radiator pipe.
Just mind .... Don't do it again !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crombers
6th May 2016, 10:46 PM
Well I couldn't agree more with the award Alan ... However, do not panic. It's an easy fix the best thing to do would be to make sure you have plenty of anti freeze and then drain all the coolant off. I'm not too sure how much power steering fluid you put in but all you need to do is pull off the lower water pipe on the radiator and drain the system. Once empty pop a hosepipe in the expansion bottle, turn on the tap and let it flush out the full system. Pop the pipe back on after its run through for a couple of minutes and refill. You could have it all done in about an hour tops. They'll be no damage done just the award to savour ... If you can get it on the ramp ideal if not jack up the near side front it's the easiest way to get to the lower radiator pipe.
Just mind .... Don't do it again !!

Cheers Dave, & yup I'm a complete & utter numpty

Crombers
7th May 2016, 12:34 PM
Drained & flushed this morning, all back to normal, nothing to see here, move along now folks :blush:

- - - Updated - - -

About as good as one of my neighbours putting oil in where the petrol goes on his brand new petrol mower #thatsitbuggered

Sore one, what a numpty, who would do such a thing :blush:

badwolf340
7th May 2016, 02:53 PM
Oh dear not good but I am sure we all have done something at one time or another

ELFMAN
7th May 2016, 03:57 PM
Well done Crombers! For the fix, not the first bit. I'm just glad there's somebody else on NMS who's as confused as me. Welcome to my world, Brother!

EcosseGP
7th May 2016, 04:36 PM
Excellent news and like I said luckily an easy fix ... you're good to go now ! Don't touch anything else !!!

CiderFex
7th May 2016, 04:46 PM
Glad it's all sorted now.
[emoji1303]
Don't forget to top up your screen wash bottle wi brake fluid though.

***JOKE***
***JOKE***
***JOKE***
[emoji15]

Crombers
7th May 2016, 06:06 PM
Well done Crombers! For the fix, not the first bit. I'm just glad there's somebody else on NMS who's as confused as me. Welcome to my world, Brother!

:thumbs up: & cheers folks

EcosseGP
7th May 2016, 10:26 PM
Glad it's all sorted now.
[emoji1303]
Don't forget to top up your screen wash bottle wi brake fluid though.

***JOKE***
***JOKE***
***JOKE***
[emoji15]

Brake fluid I thought it'd be better with 0W30

N16SHP
9th May 2016, 09:15 AM
Nightmare Crombers, but glad you've got it sorted. You are spot on though, it's never what you've done that's the issue, if that fact you didn't realise what you were doing and then you beat yourself up for ages after. We've all been there!

Craig - the lawnmower genuinely made me laugh there. Simply because my father in law has done that...twice haha!