PDA

View Full Version : R56 tuning advice

Ss82
25th April 2016, 07:29 PM
Hey plan is when I get my r56 to do abit work on it, list so far is....
Airtec fmic
Decat
B&m remap

Problem is I really cant justify the cost of the aem filter, what other alternatives have people used and is there huge differences?

Also is it vital to change to lohans colder plugs or is there alot other kinds that are just as good?

My plans will be to get a decent one, get a carbon burn done on it and replace the tensioner bolt asap for peice of mind.

Thanks in advance for advice :)

ELFMAN
25th April 2016, 09:22 PM
(In my order of preference) Decent Tyres, Brake and Suspension upgrade, a pair of really good Seats (no rolling around in the twisty bits), FM Intercooler, Alta Intake, Sports Cat/Downpipe or Decat (decat obviously cheaper but noisier), Remap.

Handles, Stops and has 200+BHP. Job Done :thumbs up:

Ss82
25th April 2016, 10:30 PM
Thanks for advice, tyres will be sorted before I even get the car as have a set rims in my hut to go on already haha

Was looking at a wee 30/40mm drop but need to see if itll scrape on my drive first tho (been there donethat before, had a very low matt black focus afew years back)

Was thinking buckets but wont be for a while,im a fat ******* I wont be rolling about yhe seat I firmly fit in them haha

What other fmic would ppl recommend? I saw some cheaper ones but been told go for airtec or forge

- - - Updated - - -

Also what kind power are the standard brakes safe up to? And when I do upgrade with out having to spend silly cash what's my options?
Thanks

ELFMAN
26th April 2016, 10:57 AM
Others will advise Re brakes, but change of pads/disks on standard R56 setup (not JCW 4 pots) seems to be a good option, also braided brake lines. I have the Forge FMIC and it's a well made piece of kit which works.

Lowering? My car only sits about 10mm lower than standard on the JCW suspension, and while it might look better even lower, I find that's a good compromise for everyday roads, speedbumps etc.

Ss82
26th April 2016, 10:59 AM
Its the cost the forge one lol

MINI William
26th April 2016, 12:12 PM
I would go down the Alta CAI route, worked on all my cars. Intercooler wise I wouldn't look past the Airtec. I ran an Airtec on my GP with no issues at all, with intake temps at or just above ambient and recovery times where very quick.

Ss82
26th April 2016, 01:59 PM
Yeh thinking airtec fmic not that I wanna pay that much for one but hey haha

Is ali works correct sayin the early r56s scoop isnt actually open?

Lookin back over

MINI William
26th April 2016, 02:21 PM
Yeh thinking airtec fmic not that I wanna pay that much for one but hey haha

Is ali works correct sayin the early r56s scoop isnt actually open?

Lookin back over

Keep an eye out. Altas and Airtecs come up for sale every so often

The early cars grill isn't open but later cars are. Just need to replace the grill or take it out completely

Ss82
26th April 2016, 04:50 PM
Oh I never knew that, any chance you can point me to a post about it so I can have a butchers :)
If the scoops not open where is the airfeed in?

MINI William
26th April 2016, 07:22 PM
Oh I never knew that, any chance you can point me to a post about it so I can have a butchers :)
If the scoops not open where is the airfeed in?

It's just a plastic grill bonnet is same behind it. So when the grill is removed or changed the air can freely flow

Ss82
26th April 2016, 07:25 PM
Ak so a free mod haha

ELFMAN
27th April 2016, 11:23 AM
Re. Cost of Forge FMIC etc - you get what you pay for, it is well made and does what it says on the tin, also proven bit of kit. One thing you'll find where Minis are concerned - nothing's cheap!

The R56 cold air feed's behind the front grille at the top panel, and the bonnet vent's just a carry-over from the supercharged R53 where it supplied air to the top-mounted intercooler. We removed the wee black bonnet grille on my R56 to let some extra cold air in for the Alta.

Ss82
27th April 2016, 12:17 PM
Aye ur no wrong wi the prices haha i do agree with you get what you pay for but at the same time surrly there cant b that much difference between them to justify some the prices haha

remapping the 56 seems to be a touchy subject with some tuners.

Tried to pm knox but dont think im allowed to??

MINI William
27th April 2016, 12:29 PM
Aye ur no wrong wi the prices haha i do agree with you get what you pay for but at the same time surrly there cant b that much difference between them to justify some the prices haha

remapping the 56 seems to be a touchy subject with some tuners.

Tried to pm knox but dont think im allowed to??

You should have no problems PM'ing Chris Knox.

As above no problems with my Airtec, running others bits alongside and a map. My intake temps where great :yes nod:

Ss82
27th April 2016, 12:39 PM
Should i be worried bout the n14 engine?keep readin there not the best blah blah blah but is that down to lookin after it?

badwolf340
27th April 2016, 01:30 PM
Should i be worried bout the n14 engine?keep readin there not the best blah blah blah but is that down to lookin after it?
Had many N14 engined MINI's and never had a single problem ,but others have

Ss82
27th April 2016, 01:33 PM
Just hit or miss really then haha

What kind mpg could I see out these with kickin bout 230hp?? How good do they compair to the 53?

Ss82
27th April 2016, 05:32 PM
Seriously you dont think theres much in it mpg wise? I read the turbo one was alot better on mpg lol problem is I wanna get it from a garage so iv got abit comeback if anything goes wrong, and theres not many 53s in garages.
Wifes got a r50 n love how it drives n very chuckable but too slow for me haha

Also swayin away from the 53 as been told there pretty noisy at high speed traveling

- - - Updated - - -

Also read a while back the super charger needs replaced after 100k? and they need serviced every 60k, looked into servicing it n it looks a ball ache to do

stoney
27th April 2016, 05:56 PM
Well I'm running a charger that hasg over 110k on it and it's running fine change of oil is going to be done this winter but with a syringe and a long tube don't think it's that hard from what I know !!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Ss82
27th April 2016, 07:10 PM
Hmmm thats good to hear lol, how much u think itll cost to get pully changed n charger serviced at a garage?
Also if u do a 17% pulley wat else should you do at sane time? Tmic/fmic?

Ss82
28th April 2016, 07:28 PM
Has anyone ever fitted a catch can to the n14? Is it helpful for the carbon build up?

Been readin up on it but searching it isnt bringin up much

badwolf340
28th April 2016, 07:39 PM
Has anyone ever fitted a catch can to the n14? Is it helpful for the carbon build up?

Fitted a couple and they work but a pain to fit

Ss82
28th April 2016, 07:49 PM
Really? How a pain? Looks pretty straight forward from videos on it altho they werent fittin them to minis haha n iv never had a look at a cooper s lump

stoney
29th April 2016, 07:49 AM

I ran one on mine but did not have the car long-term so don't know if it did any use!!

N16SHP
29th April 2016, 10:19 AM
I ran one on mine but did not have the car long-term so don't know if it did any use!!

I almost fitted some to my R56 S and from what I read it certainly helped, but I don't think it really solved the problem other than the strip and shell blast to clean them out. One of the caused for the build up apart from a flaw in the design was actually not driving it hard enough. I believe it was a regular problem on the RS4 also.

Ss82
29th April 2016, 10:26 AM
I plan gettin a blast done then fittin a catch can after :)
Dont think ill have a problem driving it hard haha