PDA

View Full Version : F56 Air Intake/Induction Kit Systems?

F56Kyle
21st April 2016, 12:05 AM
Just a quick question to see if anyone knows anything about these?

Is there any good after market induction kits or air intakes that increase the noise of the F56 blow off? I know NM engineering sell one and so do CravenSpeed but the prices are quite steep haha!

If anyone has any information it would be great to know, cheers

MINI William
21st April 2016, 06:49 AM
They are all quite expensive at the moment. K&N do one but unsure of the price. They all seem to be about the same. There are intakes even more expensive than them.

Just watch as from what I've seen and read all the intakes are taking in hot air

Track Ali
21st April 2016, 09:37 AM
As William has said most of the intakes are around the same price. We've got the Cravenspeed fitted to our F56 Cooper S and I've got a second one sitting to go on my F56 JCW when it arrives.

Only issues I'd say are with the fitment and, as William has said, the concern over hot air being pulled in. In terms of fitment the Cravenspeed has a top support arm that is secured by an OEM screw. The issue is that once you add the thickness of the support arm the OEM screw doesn't have enough bite left and so can come loose. We sorted the issue by simply using a bigger screw.

There's also the concern over hot air. William has tested a few systems and found the intake temps to be quite a bit warmer than ambient. We haven't had a chance to test the Cravenspeed yet (we plan to test it next time William and I are on a run together) but suspect that the results won't be that much different. That having been said though we've had the car on the dyno with the stock intake and also with the Cravenspeed fitted and there's been no loss (or gains) to report. So whilst the car might be pulling in warmer air at standstill it doesn't seem to be affecting performance.

In terms of noise again most of the intakes will sound the same. With the Cravenspeed you get a nice bit of "sook" under load with delicious turbo noises when you lift off. I have seen the videos though for the NM kit as well as a few others and to be honest they all sound pretty similar.

I'd recommend the Cravenspeed (fitment issue aside) if you're after a nice bit of turbo noise but just don't be expecting an increase in performance :thumbs up:

F56Kyle
21st April 2016, 02:09 PM
Thanks Ali! Wouldn't expect any gains in performance from just an Intake system, buying one purely for the turbo noise cause as you said.. It's sounds delicious! Just waiting on delivery of my JCW haha!