PDA

View Full Version : Mobiles on the go !

monkimagic
28th September 2004, 08:59 AM
I have just finished writing on a nother thread about a guy who nearly took the front of my MINI with him on a roundabout cos he was on his phone and driving with one hand ( or maybe his feet ? )

I know there will be some folk here who do the same ( this may offend ) but it drives me mad. I cant stand it, why???? why cant people let the voice mail pick it up ?what is so bloody important that they will put others at risk ( My car for one ).

Last week while driving down to edinburgh a girl came racing up behind me on the phone, I was doing 75mph and she came right up behind me, I could.nt see her headlights and she is chatting to her pal about hair.:mad::mad: is she in control ? I think not !!! I have to move over because someday, she is gonna take some one out and I dont want it to be my family !!!

Anyway I now make it my buisness to sound my horn for 2 reasons

1) So whom ever they are chatting to knows they are driving and thinks they ****ed up !:I

2) I highlight them to other road users:I

Anal I know but its as bad as drink driving.:approve:

Rant over :):):)

Monki:cool:

Willie M
28th September 2004, 03:55 PM
I'm on your side on this one Monki, this is a real pet hate of mine too. In the last two years I've had two employees 'taken out' by other drivers using (non hands free) mobile phones. One of these guys was badly injured, off work for 4 months and his car was written off.

For once I actually applauded the authorities when they introduced the ban on non hands free mobile phone use whilst driving. Don't think they're really up to enforcing it though, judging by the number of drivers I see every day with phones clamped to their ears.

I recently bought one of those bluetooth earpiece thingies but to be honest, I've hardly used it. As you say, I let the voice mail pick up the message as I'm hardly ever more than an hour away from being able to return the call.

It's certainly a thorny issue this one and I ain't going to turn this into a sermon. As with drink driving, drug taking, speeding, etc., each individual makes there own choice and will stand or fall by that decision.

I'm with Monki on the mobile phone issue though.

Smurf
28th September 2004, 03:59 PM
I'm with you on this one too. Apologies if this offends, but driving while doing something else, especially on the phone, is one of my pet hates. Considering a hands free kit costs between £10 and £15 there's really no excuse for not using one.

I'd like to see some enforcement of the law though. I see countless people with their hands clamped to their ears every day.

My other pet hate is people smoking while driving - there is no way they can be in control of the car either.

The Dogfather
28th September 2004, 04:20 PM
No call can be so important that it's worth putting yours and others lives at risk. Anyone using a mobile whilst driving is a f'ing moron!

And for the record if you use a mobile whilst driving, I don't apologise if this offends, it's meant to!!!!

Monsta Mo Mini
28th September 2004, 05:02 PM
I'm of the opinion that if you're so bloody important that you can't delay taking/making a call until your next stop then you shouldn't be driving. Voice mail is there for a reason!

I hate the bloody things. Mobile phone usage tells us more about an individual's personal insecurities than endless hours on a shrink's couch! ;)

That should stir things up a bit....

Julz
28th September 2004, 05:17 PM
I don't even like using the hands free, the only time I have that connected is on runs so that people can phone me when I've disappeared and the walkie talkies are waaaaaaaaaaaay out of range!!:p The rest of the time, my phone is in my school bag anyway!!:clown:

Duncan Stewart
28th September 2004, 05:19 PM
I totally agree with the comments on a**holes on mobiles while driving but the new law has caused a side affect that has nearly taken me out several times - since the new law was introduced people seem to think they can stop anywhere to take the call! I drive twisty country roads to & from work each day and most days have to swerve or emergency stop to avoid some moron stopped on the road, blocking half the road, usually on a corner, on a mobile phone.
aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggggg!!! :evil::evil::evil:
I feel much better now! :D

The Dogfather
28th September 2004, 05:34 PM
This is a bit like group therapy!

Scottie
28th September 2004, 06:29 PM
I do not phone and drive. If I did it during working hours and get caught I loose my job.

Big Gordy
28th September 2004, 08:44 PM
I think smoking whilst driving should fall into this category too :mad:

GAJ
28th September 2004, 08:57 PM
Texting whilst driving! That's really naughty!

Scottie
28th September 2004, 09:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

I think smoking whilst driving should fall into this category too :mad:

Well as a smoker I have to disagree.:blackeye: I think looking at Sat Nav's and radio's is much worse or talking where do we stop:question:

Big Gordy
28th September 2004, 09:27 PM
quote:Well as a smoker I have to disagree
No suprise there:blackeye:
All operations involved with having one are fraught with danger:eek: Getting it out (phnaw,phnaw:I) Lighting it, hanging on to it, trying to see through the haze, ash removal and lastly disposing of it all require you looking somewhere else rather than where your going. God only knows what would happen if you dropped it whilst driving :evil: Hey its your life to shorten by whatwever means you seem fit but I still think lighting up in a car puts others at risk IMHO
Anti smoking commercial now over :dead:;) :p:D:approve:

The Dogfather
28th September 2004, 09:33 PM
Smokin' - Bad
Sat Navin' - Bad, can be very distracting.
Textin' - Fatal. R U havin a larf, you can't seriously drive and text!

Scottie
28th September 2004, 09:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

quote:Well as a smoker I have to disagree
No suprise there:blackeye:
All operations involved with having one are fraught with danger:eek: Getting it out (phnaw,phnaw:I) Lighting it, hanging on to it, trying to see through the haze, ash removal and lastly disposing of it all require you looking somewhere else rather than where your going. God only knows what would happen if you dropped it whilst driving :evil: Hey its your life to shorten by whatwever means you seem fit but I still think lighting up in a car puts others at risk IMHO
Anti smoking commercial now over :dead:;) :p:D:approve:

Well that will be me told:p The act of smoking may shorten my life, who knows, but I can tell you living like a saint won't make your life any longer either. But enough said on that we all loose people close to us.
Take it you think looking at Sat Nav or Radio is ok then.

What about drinking a can of juice while driving. Picking up the can of juice the opening of the juice hanging on to it while driving and the disposing of the can afterwards all require you looking somewhere else.what would happen if you dropped that.

As I said where do you stop:question:

sleepyrascal
28th September 2004, 09:49 PM
get yourselves a bluetooth headset from motorola. Quality bit of kit. its really comfy and works with all bluetooth enabled phones. As for smoking and driving, it really is dangerous, but i can put up with it. What I can't stand, is ****ing arseholes throwing fags out of the car windows and onto my car. That is what annoys me most.

Big Gordy
28th September 2004, 09:52 PM
Don't have sat nav but I see your point about the radio. Although being an 'oldie' I always have it on Virgin so the only time I look at it would be to switch it on/off:p
Like you said where do we stop :clown: Everyone has there own pet hates :p:D:approve:

monkimagic
29th September 2004, 12:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Smokin' - Bad
Sat Navin' - Bad, can be very distracting.
Textin' - Fatal. R U havin a larf, you can't seriously drive and text!

I once saw a guy texting while riding a big mutha motorbike on the A90, beat that for stupidity :clown::clown:

Monki

Scottie
29th September 2004, 12:58 AM
What about guys in suites going to meeting's overtaking you in the fast lane and they are reading their notes.

Or what aabout little old wife sitting with her cat on her lap overtaking me on the motorway.

Smurf
29th September 2004, 03:42 AM
My hubby followed a guy weaving around the road. Realised he was on his phone, as his right hand was clamped to his ear. THEN he picked up another mobile with his left hand and started texting, while holding onto the other one between his ear and shoulder!!!!!!

At least he had one hand on the wheel? I don't think so. Sometimes I wish I had blue lights......

3GGG
29th September 2004, 04:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

What about drinking a can of juice while driving. Picking up the can of juice the opening of the juice hanging on to it while driving and the disposing of the can afterwards all require you looking somewhere else.what would happen if you dropped that.

As I said where do you stop:question:

At the risk of sounding like Victor Meldrew, what really annoys me is litter louts who chuck empty cans, bottles, fag packets and fag ends out of their car windows and I have to pick them out of my garden border.

Agree anything that distracts you while driving is dangerous, and that includes drivers who turn round to talk to their passengers and those who need to take their hands off the wheel to illustrate what they are talking about :mad::disapprove:

broken_brian
29th September 2004, 07:04 AM
i must be really posh cos my stereo has a remote control :cool:
not that it gets used much cos its an mp3 h/u so i just stick it on random and very loud :D

Gismo
29th September 2004, 07:08 AM
I deliberately did not mention anything in this thread ;)

lightbody
29th September 2004, 07:39 AM
One of my friends, who has brought up 2 kids, says that nothing is more dangerous than driving with young children on board misbehaving!

But I agree about mobile phone usage...

monkimagic
29th September 2004, 09:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Bad Boonie scotland, he does all the above....... at the same time[8D:evil:

Monki

Willie M
29th September 2004, 04:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by monkimagic

quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Bad Boonie scotland, he does all the above....... at the same time[8D:evil:

Monki
Yeah, whilst playing his PS2 and watching Balamory DVD's on his in-car player :clown:

GAJ
29th September 2004, 04:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG
At the risk of sounding like Victor Meldrew, what really annoys me is litter louts who chuck empty cans, bottles, fag packets and fag ends out of their car windows and I have to pick them out of my garden border.

Agree anything that distracts you while driving is dangerous, and that includes drivers who turn round to talk to their passengers and those who need to take their hands off the wheel to illustrate what they are talking about :mad::disapprove:

Hear hear!