PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed - Swirls in paint work on new car

The Dogfather
28th September 2004, 12:36 AM
Not a MINI but a Ford Fiesta!

On Saturday I collected my new Bord Fester from Arnold Clark's (OK I should have known better to buy a car from them). It was overcast in Aberdeen so the paint work looked OK, however yesterday it was quite sunny and noticed the majority of the car was cover in swirl marks.

In addition there was a few of scratches (deep) in the paint just above the front fog light, a circle of scratches (light) on the rear quarter and two areas on the rear bumper which looked like the car had been rubbed with something abrasive. Needless to say I wasn't happy and handed the car back to them, I informed them that I was rejecting the vehicle because it wasn't of satisfactory quality.

My question is can the car be buffed up and should I take it back or should I stick to my guns and get my money back?

minidriver#1
28th September 2004, 01:23 AM
sounds like they washed it straight off the trailer without rinsing it properly. i'd be pissed off too. go back as soon as you can and tell them about it and stick to your guns. thats my advice.

The Dogfather
28th September 2004, 03:32 AM
Cheers KJ. They've got the car and I'm expecting a call from the General Manager to discuss it. I'll try to get my money back.

Wul
28th September 2004, 03:20 PM
Stick to it bdm - they owe it to you to provide a car with "as new" paintwork. Dealer PDI's are hopeless! - they usually let the garage junior wash and polish the cars. If they are going to replace it make sure to tell them NOT to wash or polish the car this time!

As for the swirls - they can be polished out by hand or by machine buffer depending on how deep they are.

The Dogfather
28th September 2004, 03:55 PM
Nooooooo! The MINI one D has been sold. I was going to tell Ford I didn't want a replacement and buy the MINI instead but it's been sold. Knickers!

Cheers Buffmeister Wul:D! If anyone know paintwork it's you.

Duncan Stewart
28th September 2004, 05:05 PM
That's awful Paul! :dead::evil: Stick to your guns and get a refund or replacement - don't accept any resprays as it will affect future value.
Helen's foosty has excellent paintwork (dark blue) that seems more resistant to stone chips than my Minis (or maybe it's the way I drive :I)

Eggy7496
28th September 2004, 07:00 PM
BDM get yer money back, accept no more - ats a disgrace!!! i agree we WUL they let the juniors wash the cars - i bet they dropped the sponge and never washed it out!

Wul
29th September 2004, 04:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by Eggy7496

i bet they dropped the sponge and never washed it out!

OOH - that's given me the shivers.........I mean a sponge for gods sake!!!:p:blackeye:

Steve74
29th September 2004, 05:39 PM
Sounds like its been through a car wash - the only way to remove is to fill the scratches in or flatten them with T-cut. Not good enough on a new car - Reject it!!

Wul
29th September 2004, 07:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Steve74

T-cut

Blasphemer!!:p:evil:;)

Steve74
29th September 2004, 07:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

quote:Originally posted by Steve74

T-cut

Blasphemer!!:p:evil:;)

It's the best there is... Neilsons T-cut that is...;)

The Dogfather
29th September 2004, 08:15 PM
Had a set to with the General Manager last night, he basically said that the car's finish is what you'd expect from a new Ford!!! He said I had two options: -

1. Give them the opportunity to improve the car's finish, replacing the front bumper and opportunity to polish the vehicle. Then go back and make judgement on whether I'm happy with it.

2. The other option would be to go to court as he wasn't willing to accept my rejection. He also said he would argue the car was perfect when it left them.

Basically I've gone with option 1. because option; 2. would be a big gamble on whether the local sherriff would , however I will be writing to Ford Customer Services stating that we feel that we've been bullied into taking the car.

I feel like sh1t!

Gismo
29th September 2004, 08:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini
Had a set to with the General Manager last night, he basically said that the car's finish is what you'd expect from a new Ford!!!
Ask for that in writing, then get him to show you exactly where in any Ford brochure that the paint you have is expected, then take this info to the CAB and ask their opinion
Failing that and you want to reject, leave the car on the forecourt, hand in the keys and cancel your direct debit, assuming it's with Ford

KINGHORN
29th September 2004, 08:21 PM
sounds to me as if they have noticed the car was scratched and used a machine buffer to polish them out, whitch leaves swirles, and not hand polished the car to get rid of these marks, most cars nowadays goes into the bodyshop before you get it to have pannels touched up because of scratches in transport,

Eggy7496
29th September 2004, 08:44 PM
thats right, one o the dealers recond 1/3 of there cars had to put thru the bodyshop

Steve74
29th September 2004, 08:51 PM
That's terrible. Can you speak with a regional Ford rep or is it too late. Maybe you should write to the paper as it's a pretty bad deal.

The Dogfather
29th September 2004, 09:17 PM
The paint work is a difficult issue because the swirl marks only really show in sunlight, on a grey day (most of the time in Aberdeen) the finish looks OK (bar the scratches above the fog light). Still its not what I'd expect from a new car.

Unfortunately Ford has no management control over their dealerships, especially one as large as Arnold Clark. All I can expect from Ford is maybe a goodwill gesture. I will make it clear to Arnold Clarks that I'm unhappy with keeping the car and that I do intend to complain to Ford directly and I'm only backing down because of pressure from him.

Still I know for next time. Don't buy from ACs........

Duncan Stewart
29th September 2004, 09:24 PM
Do Ford not do the 30 day scheme anymore? They used to say if you were not satisfied with the car (for any reason including just not liking it) you could exchange it or get a full refund.

MartinSullivan
29th September 2004, 09:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

Do Ford not do the 30 day scheme anymore?

Was that not just on approved second hand cars???

Found it on the ford website but it seems to be just for second hand purchases and only for exchange against another used ford

http://www.ford.co.uk/forddirect

The Dogfather
29th September 2004, 09:35 PM
Yes it's used only, simillar to Network Qs

Wul
29th September 2004, 11:02 PM
BDM - don't give in to them! Write to their area manager, cc'ing it to the dealer, do as bonnie says also and contact the CAB also - you have about 4-6weeks to reject the car - under the sale of goods act 1974 they don't have to refund you as long as they've tried to remedy the problem. But write to everyone you can think of to get advice and responses.

Don't let the b**t**ds grind you down.

Duncan Stewart
8th October 2004, 07:07 PM
Any progress with rejecting the Fiesta Paul?
If you can get a refund I spotted this at a Fife garage
http://www.smartycars.com/saline/detail.asp?Stock_id=24576&Dealer_ID=11