PDA

View Full Version : Correct grade of oil for Mini R53/R60 ?

ABZ_Gus
6th April 2016, 09:03 PM
Evening all.....so I have always used Castrol Edge 5w 30 oil and the container even mentioned BMW and Mini and also BMW longlife 04.

Went to get the same oil, and noticed the label has a new design as that the oil now contains some titanium thingie, and now Castrol reccommend 0w 30 !

I'm planning to email Castrol. Maybe newer Mini's and BMW's now run on 0w 30 ?

Others have the same issue ? Oil would be for a JCW R53 and a R60 cooper s,

Thanks, angus

stoney
6th April 2016, 09:13 PM
Hi Angus
Either oil would be fine to use I tend to go 0w-30
On my R53

EcosseGP
6th April 2016, 11:04 PM
I've used both 5w-30 and laterally 0w-30 in all my MINIs. I use 5w-30 in the R53 both S and GP and I've bought 0w-30 for the F56 as that's the new recommended oil as per MINI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ABZ_Gus
8th April 2016, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the notes all - seems to jive with the answer I got back from Castrol UK :

Yes, you are correct, the new EDGE 5W-30 LL is primarily now for VW Group's Longlife drain interval use and the new formcorrect that the EDGE 5W-30 was also equally suitable against the specification.

BMW allow four viscosities to hold their Longlife-04 approval - 0W/5W-30 and 0W/5W-40.

Practically, and for greatest fuel economy, we have always proposed our EDGE 0W-30 to be the main recommendation but the other EDGE products in our portfolio carrying Longlife-04 are also fully applicable for use.

However, having removed Longlife-04 claims from the EDGE 5W-30 LL product, ulation with the Titanium "fluid strength technology" claim does not hold BMW-Approval Longlife-04.

For BMW's "efficient dynamics" claim then the EDGE 0W-30 was always our preferred product to recommend for BMW applications, but you are absolutely ;correct that the EDGE 5W-30 was also equally suitable against the specification.

BMW allow four viscosities to hold their Longlife-04 approval - 0W/5W-30 and 0W/5W-40.

Practically, and for greatest fuel economy, we have always proposed our EDGE 0W-30 to be the main recommendation but the other EDGE products in our portfolio carrying Longlife-04 are also fully applicable t use.

However, having removed Longlife-04 claims from the EDGE 5W-30 LL product,
EDGE 5W-40 for those viscosity options and Magnatec 5W-30 C3 should you wish to retain that viscosity in your vehicles.

So, looks like 0w 30 for me ! Thanks !

stoney
9th April 2016, 10:48 AM
Thanks for posting that interesting read :)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk