PDA

View Full Version : Squishy brakes!

GAJ
27th September 2004, 08:02 PM
Anyone noticed their brakes having a spongy pedal? I wasn't sure if I was imagining this or not but my brakes are definitely not as positive as they used to be. (trusted second opinion! ;))
The car has only done about 12500 miles so I would be very surprised if the pads were needing replaced. I suspect that there may be air in the system but I'm not sure how this could have happened. I have tried pumping the pedal but it doesn't get any firmer or more positive. Anyone any ideas or similar experiences?

Car is booked into Dunedin next week to have the system checked out but I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem before talking to the service guys.

Eggy7496
27th September 2004, 08:08 PM
GAJ this is too freaky!! mines has done 13200 miles and i was sayin to my mate yesterday thatmy brakes feel as though they are gone!! i just got my service and everything was ok, ats why im still puzzled, when i was braking yesterday it felt like i wasnt gonna stop. mines are no where near as good as they used to be, brake fade? cud it have something to do with needin new tyres at all? as i need to new front ones in about 3000 miles time i would say

eddie 44
27th September 2004, 08:15 PM
my 04 cooper has really good brakes ( @ the moment ) 5000 miles
its at dealer today for a few wee things ie rattle from dash :(
the loan car they gave me is a 04 mini one 2300 miles and as you
say the brakes are squishy . maybe a mini one thing :question: but don,t
they all have the same brakes .

Smurf
27th September 2004, 08:21 PM
I had my entire rear brake assembly replaced under warranty at around 12k miles.
My complaint to make them do this was that they weren't as 'sharp' as they had been..... A mechanic took the car out, and said immediately - oh yes your brakes need done.

Eggy7496
27th September 2004, 08:23 PM
GAJ i think we should try the same

GAJ
27th September 2004, 08:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Eggy7496

GAJ i think we should try the same

I think you are right!:)

sw
27th September 2004, 09:49 PM
I had been driving my parents 53 plate MC with 3000 miles for 1 month which had excellent brakes. I then bought at 52 plate MC with 19000 miles on it. The brakes were not as good and the pedal felt very spongy.
Just had my MC's second service last week,(23000 miles) including 1st brake fluid change, breaks are much better now but still not as good as my parents MC was. Sounds like a common complaint!!!!!

Eggy7496
27th September 2004, 09:58 PM
Print this topic out GAJ and show that we arent the only ones, thats what im gonna do.

Duncan Stewart
27th September 2004, 10:06 PM
I've been wondering about my brakes as well but conviced myself that it's just me. There seems to be a very long travel on the pedal although they do work. I'm finding that I'm pumping them approaching junctions which improves the pedal a bit.

macblob
27th September 2004, 11:46 PM
Mine was the same...........Dunedin replaced the master cylinder and another part of the brakes under warrenty.....said it was fixed, but still felt way softer than when the car was newer. Wasnt overly happy with the braking preformance of my cooper for at least the last 8 months of owning the cooper.
I mean it did stop but had a very long travel on the pedal and the pedal felt pretty spongy

GAJ
28th September 2004, 12:01 AM
Thanks everybody! Forewarned is forearmed and all that! I love this site.:)

Heather
28th September 2004, 04:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

(trusted second opinion! ;))

The words "i told you so" spring to mind!!!!!:p:D

GAJ
28th September 2004, 05:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by tribalmini
The words "i told you so" spring to mind!!!!!:p:D
I thought they might!;)

GAJ
5th October 2004, 01:59 AM
So! I handed in my car at 8.00am and went back to Dunedin at 4.45pm to collect it. I sat and waited till 5.45pm to be told that the mechanic has bled the brakes but wants my opinion as to whether they are fixed or not! And guess what? They are worse! And the pedal is now really noisy although it wasn't this morning! I am feeling particularly hacked off at the moment! I'll be back on the phone first thing tomorrow and will have to waste more of my time while they erse about trying to fix it! GRRRRRRR!!!

macblob
5th October 2004, 02:08 AM
Unlucky Gaj,

They had mine for ummm 3 days doing stuff to the brakes and I didnt think they felt any different when I got it back.

Dunedin dont seem to realise that people have better things to do than sit in garages waiting for incompetent idiots to NOT fix the car....hence having to return and waste yet more time!!!

Gismo
5th October 2004, 02:09 AM
Gaj, i know you're not liable for it, but, try using a high performance product like Castrol 5.1.
My brakes were pretty squishy before but are more potent now with the change in fluid, i know the brakes ere changed as well, but, i believe the fluid will make a difference

john
5th October 2004, 05:35 AM
I just found this thread:)whats all this talk about Brakes?

WHAT are Brakes??:D:D

GAJ
7th October 2004, 07:33 PM
Now my heater/AC fan has given up! Anyone want to buy a black MINI?

Heather
7th October 2004, 08:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Now my heater/AC fan has given up! Anyone want to buy a black MINI?

Not with all the kerbing on those wheels;):p

GAJ
7th October 2004, 09:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by tribalmini
Not with all the kerbing on those wheels;):p

Oi! You're gettin' it!:mad:
I wouldn't say that you are bad at parking but you have to get a taxi to take you to the pavement!:clown:
I wouldn't say that you are bad at parking but I've seen buses think that the gap between your car and the kerb is a Greenway!:clown:
I wouldn't say that you are bad at parking but you have to change your watch cos the pavement is in a different time zone.:clown:
I wouldn't say that you are bad at parking but you have to remember your passport when you park to get past the border guards which lie between your car and the pavement:clown:;);)

But you're right! My wheels are in a state!:dead::(:disapprove:

Big Col
7th October 2004, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't say you're bad at parking but your wheels are all scuffed to bugg@ry.

macblob
7th October 2004, 09:45 PM
Ummm I wouldnt be saying anything with lovely wheels that are as kerbed as yours Gaj :p

GAJ
7th October 2004, 10:04 PM
I'll get my coat!
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/GAJ/35893.gif;)

macblob
7th October 2004, 10:41 PM
You do that young man !!!

<ignores the cheap joke of seatee> :p

Heather
8th October 2004, 01:49 AM
I take that all on board. Thats why MY WHEELS ARE NOT KERBED!!!!:evil::p:D;)

GAJ
13th October 2004, 04:22 AM
Car is still in the garage! Needs a new ABS pump apparently and I should get him back tomorrow. Got a One at the moment. Never driven one before and my observations are that the clutch is unbelievably light when compared to my car and the handling wiythout sports suspension is very disappointing. Didn't stop me thrashing the proverbials off it earlier on though! (only joking Bazi and any other Dunedin spies!!)