PDA

View Full Version : New air filter

N12 JLK
20th March 2016, 06:50 PM
Hello all, Im thinking on fitting a new air filter to my F56 cooper. I would be grateful for advice on this as what to buy, will it make my fuel consumption better plus increase the horse power. I have been reading up on some and had a look at K&N part number 69-2026TTK typhoon induction kit. Please help if you can, is it any good?? or is there a better one thats cheaper, remember most expensive isn't always the best. Oh and will it invalidate the cars warranty, I would put the old one back on for services!

if you could keep me right on this please.

EcosseGP
20th March 2016, 07:30 PM
Are you just wanting a different air filter or thinking about changing the whole air box etc too Jason ?

N12 JLK
20th March 2016, 08:56 PM
I was looking at this6345

MINI William
20th March 2016, 09:29 PM
Can't go wrong with a bit K&N. Looks a nice bit of kit. There are a few others out there such as Cravenspeed and NM

Track Ali
20th March 2016, 10:17 PM
We've got the Cravenspeed fitted to ours. The Cravenspeed utilises a K&N pod with a slightly bigger heat shield than you have pictured above.

The question we were trying to answer Jason was whether the open filter design would result in an increase in air temps. In terms of performance we noticed no gains (or losses) on the dyno. The car made the same power and the same torque with the factory intake compared to the Cravenspeed (K&N filter). The only change really was the noise. With the open filter you get more intake noise and the blow-off is far more audible.

Certainly the car doesn't feel any quicker on the road and we haven't noticed any difference in terms of mpg. I don't really think a change in air filter alone will yield measurable results in terms of horsepower and consumption - especially if the software is being left stock.

My recommendation would be to only go for the air intake if you fancy hearing a bit more of the turbo, but if not then I'd stick with the factory intake system.

Hope that helps :thumbs up:

c9aan
21st March 2016, 05:31 PM
I run the gt tunning with the matching strut brace great bit of kit

N12 JLK
22nd March 2016, 08:07 AM
That was a very well put together reply, thank you. We are sticking with the standard one, to be honest I was pushing my luck wanting this also due to my rather expensive jcw 18" wheel purchase for summer wheels. Now my birthday is in June :smilewinkgrin:

EcosseGP
22nd March 2016, 08:44 AM
^^ I agree Jason, Ali covered everything and well explained. Both William and I have been looking at air filters / housings for the F56 but the cost of some are ridiculous for in effect changing the look of the engine bay as most will have very little effect on power or economy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

c9aan
22nd March 2016, 04:05 PM
I cut out the rear of the original filter housing to get air from the scuttle panel vent

N12 JLK
22nd March 2016, 09:37 PM
Yeh, I'm sure in the coming year more will become available cheaper. Thanks everyone.