PDA

View Full Version : wiring spots

Borvad
5th March 2016, 04:03 PM
Have had the spots fitted to the grill for the past few months, without going into details my buddy who was wiring them up isnt available for a while, so in laymans terms is there a way I could wire them up so they come on when I flash the full beam?

thanks

bpirie1000
6th March 2016, 09:27 PM
Google search it couple good ways on there...

Depends how how much yer friend has done I would say..

EcosseGP
6th March 2016, 10:56 PM
Which kit have you had fitted do you know. It's usually a simple case of wiring them to a relay and then to the full beam wiring. If they're the original OEM set then it's slightly different I think. Malcolm met be able to assist as he always runs spots on his MINIs (think it's his eyesight lol)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nobbyclark
10th March 2016, 03:26 PM
Also depends which Mini you have, as you have to cable splice the main beam wire with the power wire to the spots. So you need to work out which wire is the right one for your Mini. And you may need to earth them, depending on the type. Some are earthed by the mounting brackets; some by a separate wire.

N16SHP
10th March 2016, 05:56 PM
I fitted the spots myself on my R56 S and it wasn't a particularly easy job, especially trying to get the wiring through into the cabin as the main wiring point IIRC was down under or beside the passenger seat. We followed the instructions from Mini to a tee and they worked perfectly without a single problem but it did take some time to fit as we were no experts.

As Davy has said, Malcolm might be the best person to ask about this.

weefossy
12th March 2016, 06:46 PM
Back from my hols......again!!
Yes I do have the BMW instruction, 7 pages. I have always fitted the spots myself, but have asked a motor electrician, who I know, to wire them up for me. Happy to copy and post to you, if you want to PM your address to me.
The basic details are like this
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c394/weefossy/Wiring.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Meant to say, the bit that put me off doing the wiring was having to take the fuse box apart. Way beyond me. Luckily most of the cars we have had came with 2 spots already installed, so adding another 2 was easy, just splitting the wiring, which is simple. From memory BMW do sell the wiring kit separate from the full spots kit.

EcosseGP
13th March 2016, 12:53 AM
You might come in handy Malcolm I'm thinking about getting a set installed on the R53. I might need to call on your expertise ... [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk