PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Airdrie

bigpaul
23rd February 2016, 04:22 PM
Hi guys,

After doing my driving lessons in a Mini One just over 10 years ago, I went and picked myself up a wee Mini Cooper at the weekend. It's a black 06 plate, 2 things I was wanting to ask tho was, the car is very well kept and immaculate, only issue I have is a couple of light scratches on the dashboard trim. I was wondering is there an easy way I can vinyl wrap the dash myself and any tips on how to do this. Also, the CD player is the bog standard one which comes with the car, I would like to change this but I noticed it is bigger than normal CD players, any advice on what to do about replacing the cd player?

Cheers

Paul

JOHN MILNE
23rd February 2016, 06:00 PM
:welcome:
there is a kit you can get to fit an aftermarket unit
it has a bracket which fits in the larger hole to suit aftermarket units

Crombers
23rd February 2016, 06:13 PM
Welcome to NMSLAND :saltireflag:

bigpaul
23rd February 2016, 07:12 PM
cheers for the feedback guys, any idea where I would get the unit for the CD player? Also I looked at the plasti-dip, problem is I'm not comfortable taking dash off etc, I would be paying a company to do it so thought wrapping would be cheaper but I could be wrong, any advice would be much appreciated.

badwolf340
23rd February 2016, 07:14 PM
:welcome: Paul ,wrapping can be done but best to use a heat source (hairdryer ) to heat as you go

MINI William
23rd February 2016, 07:28 PM
Welcome to NMS. As above easy enough done

Eddie_JCW
23rd February 2016, 07:36 PM
Don't chromium tech do stuff for R50/3? To be honest if I were going to change the colour of the dash to a different colour I'd probably get it painted then the choices are unlimited and it'd probably be a better finish.

Eddie_JCW
23rd February 2016, 07:36 PM
Wrapping is a total pain by the way lol

And welcome to NMS :-)

CiderFex
23rd February 2016, 07:57 PM
Just a thought.....

http://www.superclickcovers.com/en/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CiderFex
23rd February 2016, 07:58 PM
p.s. Welcome to NMS.
[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EcosseGP
23rd February 2016, 08:20 PM
Welcome to NMS great to have you on board. Dash is dead easy to come out and the CD player can be changed without any issues at all especially on the R50.
I presume it's the 3 piece dash that's in it ? Are they deep scratches or would they polish out ? You're not too far down the road from me ... if you want a hand I'll be able to certainly assist. You any photos of the dash issue ?
Personally I'm of the opinion to paint rather than wrap ... if you're going to do it just do it once.

Captain clean
23rd February 2016, 08:33 PM
Hi there. Welcome to a friendly mini site. People on here are brilliant. As for your dilemma with your dashboard parts, are they just plastic parts(no electrical stuff, if so can it be removed??) Reason i ask is have you thought about getting them hydro dipped?? At the moment I have a friend who is working on test run on some parts for my Mini.

N16SHP
24th February 2016, 10:03 AM
I'm another for the paint over vinyl. Colour choices are better and it's less likely to have any problems if someone rubs or scratches against it. That said, you do get some properly good wrap vinyl these days from Avery but my only recommendation would be to use a wrap vinyl not a standard vinyl as it'll peel due to the curves of the dash.

bigpaul
24th February 2016, 11:02 AM
cheers for the responses guys. the scratches are very minimum and they may polish out. You know what it's like get a new car and you start thinking what can I do so I considered wrap/paint, I'll try polish them out first and see what I think then, as for CD player I will defo be replacing it prob end of march due to other commitments but I will prob be looking for help on how to get the old one out and new one in.

bigpaul
24th February 2016, 12:04 PM
The scratches are too bad and there is only a couple of them, I will probably try polish them out first and see how that goes. Next question, what type of polish, I had a Civic few years back and tried similar thing but the polish I used was wrong and ended up marking the dash.