PDA

View Full Version : GP or JCW for my next mini?

AndyM
21st February 2016, 02:45 PM
So I currently have an 05 Cooper S that I've had some nice September last year but fancy a change.

I don't think my budget will stretch to. GP2, so I'm thinking GP1 or an 09/10/11 JCW. I'm still trying to justify the cost of the GP1 considering they are nearly 10 years old and still 9-11k, which would be a huge jump in cost over my Cooper S

So can any GP or JCW convince me which way to go?

Cheers

Andrew

stoney
21st February 2016, 03:35 PM
If you can afford a GP go for it I truly miss mine !!! There is just some thing about the GP1 that I still love

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

maxibaby01
21st February 2016, 04:10 PM
One has just come up on GPOCUK site and FB page.
Justin's.

...end...

MINI William
21st February 2016, 05:45 PM
I think the GP is a great car. But if it was me I would go down the R56 JCW. The tuning potential for the R56 for power far exceeds the R53. Never mind the lower running costs. Also it's a newer car. Says it all for me.

stoney
21st February 2016, 05:52 PM
I think the GP is a great car. But if it was me I would go down the R56 JCW. The tuning potential for the R56 for power far exceeds the R53. Never mind the lower running costs. Also it's a newer car. Says it all for me.
Yes but would now only go down the N18 engine as the N14 is shocking still have a GP over a R56 jcw

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Eddie_JCW
21st February 2016, 06:19 PM
If you get a GP and look after it you won't be losing anything, and as they start to get rarer the price will go up. Given the age you're looking at in R56's it'll be an N14, which as Stoney has said is less reliable than the N18 :-)

jo123ke
21st February 2016, 06:34 PM
Mini Cooper S 2007 JCW FULLY LOADED SAT NAV LEATHER
https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/mini-cooper-s-2007-jcw-fully-loaded-sat-nav-leather/1156131156

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jo123ke
21st February 2016, 06:56 PM
Not mines just seen it for sale on gumtree

MINI William
21st February 2016, 07:10 PM
Never noticed any problems with N14 tuning. Only with the timing chain and coking issues. Both our N14 JCWs ran PTorque maps with no issues and ran 275+ again with no issues. Not disagreeing that the R53 GP isn't a great car, It's just old now and will undoubtedly come with 10year old car issues

badwolf340
21st February 2016, 07:13 PM
it would have to be a JCW ,or a very very good R53GP, and the cost of a top notch R53 GP ...well

AndyM
21st February 2016, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the replies

I don't plan on any major upgrades so finding the right JCW could be the way to go if I can find the right spec of car

EcosseGP
21st February 2016, 11:51 PM
It's the same old question tbh ... Sometimes it's better the devil you know, but everyone has their favourites and for their own reasons. Having had two GPs (and I'll no doubt have a third) I could highly recommend them. If you're planning to do nothing with its definitely different over the standard R53. However, if you fancy a bit of fun I'd stick with what you've got and play about with the S. I've not ventured into the R56 area so it'd be wrong to say anything but as with all cars you'll get good and bad ones. Haven't heard many on this forum having issues ... but an R56 GP2 and you'll have the best of both worlds.
Personally and for what it's worth ... I'd go GP over JCW [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crombers
22nd February 2016, 03:59 AM
Love the one you've got, call me sentimental:thumbs up:

AndyM
22nd February 2016, 09:13 AM
So after a great amount of thought (on my own as not even mentioned any of this to my better half "yet") ... I'm being drawn to the GP2 (newer car and a better chance of it holding the value I will pay for it over the GP1, when you take into account the mileage of most GP1's out there for sale at the moment)

To ask some advice of current and ex GP2 owners ... running costs? (tyres, servicing etc.) Anything to look out for that might cause problems after a few years? Or any good/bad advice in general

Thanks

Andrew

EcosseGP
22nd February 2016, 09:36 AM
Andrew if you're looking for a low mileage well looked after GP1 I might be able to point you in the right direction. Just depends on what you really want. There's a GP2 at Stirling just now or might even be another one popping up for sale shortly. Choices, choices ...

AndyM
22nd February 2016, 09:42 AM
Andrew if you're looking for a low mileage well looked after GP1 I might be able to point you in the right direction. Just depends on what you really want. There's a GP2 at Stirling just now or might even be another one popping up for sale shortly. Choices, choices ...

My mind is made up now that I can't justify the age of the GP1 considering the price they still are (as Mrs M would never understand a car 1 year newer than mine costing 7k more?!? lol).

GP2 v JCW is the debate in my head now as there are a few circa 20k milers out there that I've been looking online at

Thanks

Eddie_JCW
22nd February 2016, 10:18 AM
If it is GP2 vs JCW then it all comes down to whether you need back seats or not, are you going to keep it on decent tyres for maximum performance? And I'm sure that the coilovers need serviced every now and then(could be wrong about the suspension but I'm sure a GP2 owner will be along soon to clarify)

Eddie_JCW
22nd February 2016, 10:21 AM
Bear in mind though that if you're keeping it long term then I do reckon that the GP1 has lost most of the value it's going to lose, where as the GP2 prices are still coming down. The best solution would probably be look at both and see which your heart leans towards :)

AndyM
22nd February 2016, 11:06 AM
The best solution would probably be look at both and see which your heart leans towards :)

.... or my wallet!

My daily commute is into and through Edinburgh and is 30 zones in all bar 2 sections so the performance factor for that is sadly cancelled out.

CiderFex
22nd February 2016, 08:35 PM
I find the GP1 dead easy to drive through slow traffic due to the shed loads of torque that it has. It's easier to drive through the rush hour traffic than the 2.2 CDTi that we have.
I used to get about 23mpg on the daily commute in the GP1 if the traffic was slow but mid to high 30's if it was free flowing.

MINI William
22nd February 2016, 09:30 PM
If your deciding between JCW or R56 GP it depends on practicality that your looking for. GP has no back seats and with the bilstein coilovers is firmer.

AndyM
23rd February 2016, 08:25 AM
If your deciding between JCW or R56 GP it depends on practicality that your looking for. GP has no back seats and with the bilstein coilovers is firmer.

Due to all the pop holes and cobbles I seem to find (and then try to avoid) on my daily commute in the S I seriously don't think it could ever feel any worse :argh:

Eddie_JCW
23rd February 2016, 09:25 AM
Due to all the pop holes and cobbles I seem to find (and then try to avoid) on my daily commute in the S I seriously don't think it could ever feel any worse :argh:

My R56 JCW had the optional sports suspension and although my days off were great fun, like you I had to commute into Edinburgh and it was an absolute nightmare, it was getting to the point where I was taking the bus [emoji15]. On my commute I was getting between 28-40mpg depending on traffic :) ps do not get me started on the roads of Edinburgh lol

AndyM
23rd February 2016, 09:35 AM
My R56 JCW had the optional sports suspension and although my days off were great fun, like you I had to commute into Edinburgh and it was an absolute nightmare, it was getting to the point where I was taking the bus [emoji15]. On my commute I was getting between 28-40mpg depending on traffic :) ps do not get me started on the roads of Edinburgh lol

I'm about 28/30 mpg at the moment, I used to take the bus (or 2 buses) before we moved a bit further out and now the 1st bus stop I need to get to is about a mile away on foot so I bought the mini back in September.

The amount of time a shout "For F**ks Sake" on my drive in is crazy as I seem to find new potholes every week and I detest the cobbles down Stockbridge :nag:

:smilewinkgrin:

AndyM
27th February 2016, 03:33 PM
Going to look at the GP2 that Menzies in Stirlng have tomorrow .... Was explaining costs and resale values to the better half today and didn't get a flat out NO as I expected :thumbs up: happy days

jo123ke
27th February 2016, 04:21 PM
I'm sure that car has been owned by someone on this or another forum

AndyM
27th February 2016, 04:27 PM
I'm sure that car has been owned by someone on this or another forum

I'm more interested in a GP from another garage but Menzies is closer to view and drive one. The other car is less miles too

EcosseGP
27th February 2016, 09:07 PM
The one at Parks, Stirling is over priced and will need a bit of negotiating to make it a reasonable buy but if you're looking at a sneaky test drive it might serve a purpose [emoji106]

AndyM
27th February 2016, 09:34 PM
The one at Parks, Stirling is over priced and will need a bit of negotiating to make it a reasonable buy but if you're looking at a sneaky test drive it might serve a purpose [emoji106]

Will also see what they might offer me for mine as a PX also .... Then see how flexible they are

AndyM
28th February 2016, 02:01 PM
At the garage now ... Must now sign up or I'm dead :computer: