PDA

View Full Version : R56 Cooper JCW Wanted

Gary
11th February 2016, 09:18 PM
Hi all,

Currently on the look out for an RCW mini, saw one on AT that I really took a liking to and would like a similar spec.

JCW kit
JCW recaro's
Sub 60k
Max limit of £8k

Service history and the such like would also be beneficial.

jo123ke
11th February 2016, 09:58 PM
09 john cooper works jcw mini
https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/09-john-cooper-works-jcw-mini/1154442116

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EcosseGP
11th February 2016, 10:28 PM
^^ that's been for sale for ages John. I had a chat with her about that last year ! There's no recaros on it either.
I'd have to say Gary I think you'll struggle to get all that for £8k but be a good buy if you did ...
Good luck and we'll do our best to help in your quest [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gary
11th February 2016, 11:41 PM
To be honest, it looks like I have a lot to learn with the models!

Whatever this is, is what I'm looking for:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201602010608706

EcosseGP
11th February 2016, 11:57 PM
No problem Gary we all have to start somewhere.
You're looking at a MINI Cooper S with the JCW body kit fitted. You're right it's got a few extras on it like the Recaro CS seats and JCW steering wheel inserts along with a JCW Gera knob and handbrake cover.
It's also got aftermarket alloy wheels, but what looks like carbon fibre door mirror covers and bonnet scoop ...
What I will say is the seats are not for everyone. They are great seats don't get me wrong but can be quite uncomfortable for some on long journeys. Check for marks, rips etc on the seat bolsters as most are worn and or ripped as they also aren't the easiest to get in and out of ... Cracking seats though.

EcosseGP
12th February 2016, 12:03 AM
What about something a bit different but along the same sort of lines you were looking at http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201601109969488?atmobcid=soc4

Gary
12th February 2016, 12:22 AM
This is the one I was hoping to look at with a chance to buying there and then but I was beaten by 24 hours to it.

Are the carbon JCW bits easy to come across or were they optional extras from the factory too?

Are the proper JCW's commanding more of a premium too?

EcosseGP
12th February 2016, 09:48 AM
You can still order JCW extras (styling) from the dealer but they'll be expensive. Carbon bits come up on MINI forums, eBay, etc from time to time it's just a case of waiting. As for a factory JCW yes you'll pay more it just depends on if you want the performance or extras that the JCW offers you over any other model.

DigitalLemming
12th February 2016, 03:46 PM
**In 2012 - someone correct me if I am wrong - the R56 was given a mid-cycle refresh which saw some cosmetic and mechanical enhancements along with a modest power increase for the Cooper S.

Yep I think it was early 2012 saw the N18 engine introduced, mine is a Dec 2012 build and has the N18 :thumbs up:

N16SHP
12th February 2016, 04:57 PM
Yeah I suppose as others have said it depends on what your needs and wants are. Certainly my R56 Cooper S was more than quick enough as standard and there are some good examples of even quicker Cooper S cars (Elfman instantly springs to mind). However, I always craved a FJCW not really for the additional power but for the noise, pops and bangs from the exhaust, the additional styling and the stopping power of the bigger breaks.

The car you posted about which was sold was definitely a looker, but the best thing about Mini's is there are plenty out there and another one you like will pop up for sure and hopefully in budget, although £8k may be tough.

Happy hunting and hopefully you get something sweet pretty soon because we'd all love to see it :thumbs up:;)

DigitalLemming
12th February 2016, 05:19 PM
Yep looks like you're right Ali, seems to be mid-late 2012 for the N18, heres a few details I nicked from elsewhere:

N14 Engine - N14B16AC (171hp / 177 ft-lbs)
Infinitely variable single VANOS (intake only)
Siemens DME MED17.2 engine management

N18 Engine - N18B16M0 (181hp / 191 ft-lbs)
Infinitely variable double VANOS
Map-controlled oil pump
Variable valve timing (Valvetronic) with 3-phase servomotor and integrated eccentric shaft sensor
Composite camshaft construction
New piston design
Siemens DME MEVD17.2.2

The PCV design is updated in the N18. Rather than an external hose on the passenger side, the vacuum line is internal to the valve cover. This is (presumably) intended to reduce propensity for effluents pooling in the intake manifold. The boost line between the valve cover and turbo intake pipe is also different but seems to be functionally equivalent.

The N18 added a cosmetic cover over the front of the valve cover.

The N18 adds a small heat shield over the turbo oil pipe to help mitigate any coking in the line.

The turbo intake pipe in the N18 is rigid, as opposed to the flexible pipe in the N14.

The noisemaker is eliminated in the N18.

The N18 intake airbox base is slightly different (the JCW intake won't fit because the mounting screws don't line up).

The N18 oil dipstick is different (and many would say a step backwards in usability)

The Sport Button adds "pop and burble" to the exhaust

Blueboy
13th February 2016, 08:50 AM
There's a girl called Erin Agent who advertises on most of the Mini fb forums for her carbon fibre goodies and she does them for every model of car produced. Have seen some of her stuff and it is top quality and although in the USA they post all over the world and even supply Mini dealers with their goodies. The company is called http://www.carbonmini.com/#! but she is always doing special offers on the fb sites and have talked to her through messenger about getting stuff for my R55, they also sell some cool accessories if you check out their website

cheers Paul

EcosseGP
13th February 2016, 09:48 AM
^^ have you seen the price of the stuff though Paul. I enquired about some F56 bits and had to sit down when she sent me the price list.

MrMischief
13th February 2016, 10:40 AM
Aye, for me it looks quite nice but is mostly overlay products so no particular weight saving, just aesthetic improvement.

Knox18
13th February 2016, 11:39 AM
There's a girl called Erin Agent who advertises on most of the Mini fb forums for her carbon fibre goodies and she does them for every model of car produced. Have seen some of her stuff and it is top quality and although in the USA they post all over the world and even supply Mini dealers with their goodies. The company is called http://www.carbonmini.com/#! but she is always doing special offers on the fb sites and have talked to her through messenger about getting stuff for my R55, they also sell some cool accessories if you check out their website

cheers Paul

^^ have you seen the price of the stuff though Paul. I enquired about some F56 bits and had to sit down when she sent me the price list.

Aye, for me it looks quite nice but is mostly overlay products so no particular weight saving, just aesthetic improvement.

I've been sponsored by Carbonmini since 2012 and im looking at supplying it in the uk so the cost will come down slightly, its still far cheaper than the dealership and they do bits that arent available from MINI also. I have the full dash kit and some door pieces

MrMischief
13th February 2016, 12:52 PM
I've been sponsored by Carbonmini since 2012 and im looking at supplying it in the uk so the cost will come down slightly, its still far cheaper than the dealership and they do bits that arent available from MINI also. I have the full dash kit and some door pieces

Any plans for replacement parts rather than just overlay?? I think that'd get more interest...overlay's just a more expensive way of doing "carbon look film"...

Knox18
13th February 2016, 01:55 PM
Any plans for replacement parts rather than just overlay?? I think that'd get more interest...overlay's just a more expensive way of doing "carbon look film"...

I imagine the cost would jump up a bit

Even manufacturers like McLaren if you buy the carbon interior pack.. It's overlays

emicen
14th February 2016, 02:02 AM

How much weight saving would you expect to achieve with full carbon?

I'm not denying carbon overlay on plastic will actually add weight, but given the OEM plastic dash panels weigh about as much as a hamster...

jo123ke
14th February 2016, 03:23 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160214/1676e1977bf1221f5940fc1ed052411e.jpg
I'm happy with my carbon overlay [emoji1316]

jo123ke
14th February 2016, 03:33 AM
Rear panels are in the process http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160214/cbdd8581369c929dd50060e66f11a1a5.jpg

More say looks than weight http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160214/1f564a60505726325d10d1521efbf7de.jpg

MrMischief
14th February 2016, 08:30 AM
How much weight saving would you expect to achieve with full carbon?

I'm not denying carbon overlay on plastic will actually add weight, but given the OEM plastic dash panels weigh about as much as a hamster...

No, I know...and 99% of these are road cars anyway. Just my opinion, personally don't see the point adding weight to make it look as if it's carbon. I find it strange they've gone to the length of making moulds of the originals to make an overlay product & could've spent some more time making the negative/backing & had a replacement panel, that would've justified the cost. I can pick up carbon/kevlar panels for some of my other cars that are replacements & the cost is on a par with these. I'm not denying their quality is good but appears to be a trend in the MINI aftermarket scene - bump the price right up.

I guess I'm just not a form over function person :hand: :lol:

Gary
14th February 2016, 10:24 AM
Wow thats a lot if useful information on here, didn't know half the stuff before I got on here.

Currently thinking about going to have a nose at this which I believe is a proper JCW.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mini/cooper-s-works/mini-mini-r56-john-cooper-works------------2008/5239187?v=b

EcosseGP
14th February 2016, 11:17 AM
That looks like it's worth going to see especially as it's local and if you can get a few more pounds off it [emoji106]. Checking history it seems to have been a car that's hardly been used doing only a couple of hundred miles between 2011-2012.

jo123ke
14th February 2016, 12:29 PM
It's been for sale for around 6months may be a reason for it so be carful and check everything over but hope all is good with the car

Blueboy
14th February 2016, 09:08 PM
It's been for sale for around 6months may be a reason for it so be carful and check everything over but hope all is good with the car

Yeah looked at pics and enquired before I bought my clubby, more pics on Mini Owners Group on fb

N16SHP
15th February 2016, 10:10 AM
Wow thats a lot if useful information on here, didn't know half the stuff before I got on here.

Currently thinking about going to have a nose at this which I believe is a proper JCW.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mini/cooper-s-works/mini-mini-r56-john-cooper-works------------2008/5239187?v=b

Might be a cosmetic thing as it certainly looks like a FJCW but why does it have Cooper S scuttles?

EcosseGP
15th February 2016, 11:06 AM
They all come with S scuttles or plain if memory serves me correctly ...

MINI William
15th February 2016, 11:43 AM
A JCW doesn't or shouldn't have S scuttles as they aren't an S :yes nod:. They should have vented chrome ones unless they have been changed. A popular change was to put LCI ONE/Cooper scuttles on

Eddie_JCW
15th February 2016, 10:37 PM
A quick reg check shows it as being a JCW ;)

N16SHP
16th February 2016, 09:34 AM
A quick reg check shows it as being a JCW ;)

Purely cosmetic then which is good. I was thinking to myself, if it is an S, why go to all the bother and spend a small fortune making it look like a FJCW when it would probably have been cheaper to buy a FJCW in the first instance :)

Gary
21st February 2016, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the help folks but I've gone a slighty different way and bought myself an Ed30 Golf. May come back to Mini in the future