PDA

View Full Version : Red Stuff Brake Pads

Gasmark7
7th February 2016, 01:47 PM
Has anybody used Red Stuff brake pads on their MCS. What do you think. Overkill? would the Yellow Stuff be better for every day driving?
Thanks

EcosseGP
7th February 2016, 03:41 PM
Personally I'd use the yellow stuff pads over the red stuff. The yellow stuff is ideal for day to day driving and the odd track day. I'd say if you are looking at any I'd go for yellow over red I'm not sure the reds are any better than a bit over standard apart from giving off a little less dust.

Yellow stuff
Dust rating - medium
Cold friction - excellent
Hot friction - excellent
Lifespan - excellent
Race use - yes

Red Stuff
Dust rating - low
Cold friction - good
Hot friction - excellent
Lifespan - good
Race use - no

No point in scrimping on stopping power especially if you love a spirited drive. I use yellow stuff pads on my R53 and have no hesitation in recommending them.

jo123ke
7th February 2016, 04:48 PM
Second the yellow stuff pads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gasmark7
7th February 2016, 06:31 PM
That's it. All sorted.

M-Tec Black Edition Discs, Hel stainless brake lines (I've had them on all my bikes and trust them) and Yellow Stuff pads. Sorted

Thanks guys.

MINI William
7th February 2016, 07:55 PM
Not a bad setup Graham

stoney
7th February 2016, 09:07 PM
Davy what set up do I have again lol

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

CiderFex
7th February 2016, 09:39 PM
I'd highly recommend Castrol React brake fluid as well.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-742-castrol-react-performance-dot-4-formerly-response-super-dot-4-synthetic-brake-fluid.aspx

CiderFex
7th February 2016, 09:41 PM
p.s. Be careful with the M-Tecs if you e gone for the drilled and grooved version, they grip like hell when the disks are wet. I've had mine for 3.5 years and they still catch me out sometimes when they are wet and cold.

digi
24th February 2016, 03:55 PM
having just changed over to mteck c-fold disks and yellow stuff pads from standard and reds i now wouldnt recommend reds again the difference both hot and cold grip is outstanding

GreyRacer
24th February 2016, 05:55 PM
I've been tracking MTEC grooved discs with TRD Pads for many years using a full new set each season.
Unfortunately on the occasions I've been forced to use EBC Yellows they have been awful. fine for road use but when pushed the pads collapse.
I've suffered crumbling of the friction surface as the EBC just cant take race temps of 400 degC and also delamination of the friction pad from the steel backing due poor bonding process. In all honesty I cant recommend any EBC products.
Better with Ferodo DS2500, Carbotec or even just Mintex fast road.

Blueboy
8th April 2016, 07:19 AM
Hi guys, needing to buy front pads and going by your recommendations above, do you have any links for buying said items as seen that demon tweeks sell them on fleabay

stoney
8th April 2016, 07:25 AM
What pads you going for ?
When I change my pads I'm going for cabrotec xp8 they are a good fast road / track pad

Blueboy
8th April 2016, 07:31 AM
folk saying that yellow pads are the ones to use, not fussed as the oem ones fitted are fine just need to get asap :thumbs up: they good you got a link?

stoney
8th April 2016, 07:41 AM
http://www.carbotech-europe.com/compounds.htm

This is the official website page

MrMischief
8th April 2016, 04:20 PM
I've been tracking MTEC grooved discs with TRD Pads for many years using a full new set each season.
Unfortunately on the occasions I've been forced to use EBC Yellows they have been awful. fine for road use but when pushed the pads collapse.
I've suffered crumbling of the friction surface as the EBC just cant take race temps of 400 degC and also delamination of the friction pad from the steel backing due poor bonding process. In all honesty I cant recommend any EBC products.
Better with Ferodo DS2500, Carbotec or even just Mintex fast road.

I'd second that - Carbotec's every time...significantly better pad than EBC on road & definitely on track.

Alex from NM
8th April 2016, 06:19 PM
Much preferred the Mintex 1144 to the yellowstuff I had.

Eddie_JCW
8th April 2016, 10:28 PM
I had mtec grooved and Ferodo DS2500 on my JCW and I'd be impressed if there is a better combination, really great setup.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

stoney
9th April 2016, 07:36 AM
I had mtec grooved and Ferodo DS2500 on my JCW and I'd be impressed if there is a better combination, really great setup.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Yep I had the same but I found they faded on track slightly so after a lot of digging around I found the XP 8 this is what's going on the R53 when it needs new pads and it will be probably be pagie disks up front but just had the R53 jcw brakes fitted that I got from Davy so will be waiting for those to where down first :)

GreyRacer
9th April 2016, 11:26 AM
On track I use TRD for my Celica but Hawk are almost same compound. Perhaps they make some for Mini.