PDA

View Full Version : Spiroslot Front Brake Kit

Gasmark7
1st February 2016, 07:36 PM
After the RR session at the weekend I'm looking to upgrade the brakes on my 2007 R56 Cooper s. Ive found this on GT Tuning. What do people think? Worth a punt or not?

http://www.gtt.uk.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/mini-gen-2-gtt-spiroslot-front-brake-kit-cooper-s-sd-748x554.jpg

Product Description
Fb-Button

* Probably the best regarded standard size brakes available.
* Huge improvement over stock with no warm up required and low noise.
* Stunning looks with GTT’s unique ‘Spiroslot’ curved groove pattern…No risk of cracking, with excellent pad deglazing.
* New high temp dark grey finish applied to centre bell looks smart and greatly increased corrosion resistance.
* GTT Kevlar pads …optimised for this disk.
* DOT 5.1 Upgraded Fluid included! (Note: GTT badge is just shown for display only)
* Now With Latest Anti Squeal Compound For Super Quiet Operation!

Fits: Gen 2 Cooper S & Gen 1 R53 with JCW Big Brake kit (294mm diameter discs).

Body shape:- Hatch, Convertible, Clubman, Coupe, Roadster.

£159+vatI'm running 214BHP on stock discs and pads and find the fade rather scary. They'll mostly be used around town with the odd bit of, em well you know. :hand: No track days.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

stoney
1st February 2016, 08:42 PM
I would go mtec disks with black coting and then some good pads

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Gasmark7
1st February 2016, 08:57 PM
Aha thats the problem. Ive spent so much time on the internet researching Disc and pad combinations that i'm now brain dead. Any ideas anybody?

EcosseGP
1st February 2016, 09:10 PM
Well personally if you've got the standard set up I would start at the beginning.
Change the fluid (if it's not been done recently) and then start by fitting stainless steel brake lines. The lines will firm up the pedal and you'll feel a big difference especially under prolonged braking (not that it should be required).
Then I'd look at discs and pads.
Rob certainly has the right idea with the MTec disc set up (get them coated as it prevents a bit of rusting) and maybe a set of EBC yellow stuff pads or similar. I've not had any issues with the yellow stuff pads although some don't like the dust they produce.
The yellow stuff pad is a road come odd track day pad and it has the same characteristics as standard pads in that they work just as well from cold.
There's plenty of other options open to you though with Mintex M1144 which are very similar too.
Standard discs and pads with the current power you have Graham will be more than adequate too if you don't want to spend big money.
If you've got plenty of meat on the discs and pads already why not even just try new fluid and the lines and see what difference that makes you may well be pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stoney
1st February 2016, 09:30 PM
As Davy said lines and new fluid help Al lot I could not believe the difference when I removed them from my clubman even the wife noticed something had changed lol

DigitalLemming
1st February 2016, 09:38 PM
I've got Mtec drilled and grooved disks with the black coating and Mintex M1144 pads all round also have Goodridge braided lines as well.

First thing in the morning at this time of year they can be a little bit noisy, but after a couple of stops they start getting up to temperature and stop the car really well, certainly gave me more confidence that I could push it a little further and still stop!

Have heard good things about EBC pads as well as Ferodo ones.

MINI William
1st February 2016, 10:06 PM
As I was saying yesterday a lot of people have recommended the Mtec disks and Mintex pads. Obviously along with braided lines

MrMischief
1st February 2016, 10:56 PM
Carbotech pads all the way. You'll never go back to Yellowstuff or Mintex.

Gasmark7
1st February 2016, 11:18 PM
Just ordered the black coated Mtec discs and will order the hoses tomorrow. Still not decided which pads to get. :thud:

GreyRacer
2nd February 2016, 12:02 AM
Try Ferodo DS2500.

MrMischief
2nd February 2016, 08:07 AM
Seriously, Carbotech - more expensive but if they hold my 400+bhp GTiR back on track without fading & are also mega grippy from cold on the road...pretty sure they'll cope with a MINI.

Probably XP8's would suit..

I've been through a LOT of compounds...nothing matches them for feel or performance.