PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers or springs

Ianstwt_r59
26th January 2016, 09:46 AM
What's everyone got? And why?

DigitalLemming
26th January 2016, 09:56 AM
Eibach Pro Kit springs on mine, mainly because of price, I couldn't bring myself to spend near on £1k (including fitting) on a set of new coilovers, I did look at used ones but unless I knew where they where coming from I couldn't trust them.

In the end I got a 20 - 25mm ish drop from my springs which is plenty, I get the odd scrap on bigger speedbumps but nothing too bad and I can still make it to the beach for a BBQ ;)

Ianstwt_r59
26th January 2016, 10:06 AM
Did you get new shocks too?

Alex from NM
26th January 2016, 10:14 AM
I've got the same Eibach Pro springs too and run OEM shocks on them. Handling is stiffer as you'd expect, but not hideously uncomfortable. Getting rid of any run flats is a must though if you run with springs. The only other parts I had to buy were adjustable rear control arms to get everything aligned correctly.

DigitalLemming
26th January 2016, 10:16 AM
I left my shocks as standard, not had a problem with them, I guess the change of springs might shorten there life but I'll deal with that when they start complaining!

badwolf340
26th January 2016, 11:04 AM
Coil overs on the GP (standard) coil overs on the clubvan through choice no other reason ,springs just as good ,depends on what you are after ,coil overs tops look great

MINI William
26th January 2016, 11:05 AM
I would say it depends on what you looking for. If you just wanting a bit lower then go springs. If your wanting to adjust how low along with other settings such as camber etc etc then you go coilovers. We have BC coilovers on the van which are very hard even on there softest setting. If your going coilovers you need to go higher in the range in my opinion

MINI William
26th January 2016, 02:27 PM
Forgot to say I've also got KW JCW coilovers on my F56 JCW without any issues of noise or being to harsh and is why I would say that if your going down the coilover route then spend more, if you don't want to spend that much then go springs and you will be just as happy.

stoney
26th January 2016, 06:09 PM
Coilovers ftw

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

emicen
26th January 2016, 06:33 PM
Eibach springs on the girlfriend's R56 JCW with standard dampers.

Nicely tightened up, good ride quality, less arch gap.

kevs cooper s
26th January 2016, 09:40 PM
eibach pro springs on my old r53 with standard dampers -30mm ride height firm tight handling

EcosseGP
26th January 2016, 10:36 PM
I'd personally go springs every time. I know it's not everyone's choice but every time I've used coilovers (even expensive ones) they clatter and bang and I can't stand it so I've now gone down the lowering Spring route without any issues to date. I've got a set of Eibach Pro springs on the R53 (30mm) and a custom set of AC Schnitzer springs on the F56 (30mm). I've always used the standard shocks they're more than capable of coping with a short drop. The handling on the R53 is brilliant and I've no hesitation in pushing it on through bends.
Coupled with the springs though I do have an upper GTT strut brace and an OMP lower brace ...
Personally Ian the choice is yours but as the others have said choose wisely as it can be an expensive mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

emicen
27th January 2016, 12:35 AM
I would say it depends on what you looking for. If you just wanting a bit lower then go springs. If your wanting to adjust how low along with other settings such as camber etc etc then you go coilovers. We have BC coilovers on the van which are very hard even on there softest setting. If your going coilovers you need to go higher in the range in my opinion

Bingo!

According to some (not on here) it was all manner of stupidity putting Eibachs on the JCW and I should have gone for AP coilovers which are under £100 more.

I particularly liked the comments from the splitter scuffer types trying to lecture me on handling prowess.

CraigR53
27th January 2016, 01:16 AM
As you know I went coilovers Iain, Not on the car yet so I can't comment, I'll get back to you after they are on a wee while lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blueboy
27th January 2016, 08:40 AM
Always fitted coilovers on most vehicles I have owned and modified, as like to suit the ride height myself and have always used KW, or any associated makes by same company and even their bargain brand AP is good stuff. Fitting ST XTA's to current car as getting good deal from them