PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering

W33EMA
18th January 2016, 09:44 PM
Sadly my power steering decided to die whilst I was at college went to try and drive it and couldn't even turn. Can anyone help point me in the right direction where's best to buy the part from??
Thanks.

stoney
18th January 2016, 09:48 PM
Sadly my power steering decided to die whilst I was at college went to try and drive it and couldn't even turn. Can anyone help point me in the right direction where's best to buy the part from??
Thanks.
May be as well contacting might I as it a common problem and they will some time do a good will.

W33EMA
18th January 2016, 09:54 PM
That made no sense too me at all sorry :blush:

stoney
18th January 2016, 09:58 PM
That made no sense too me at all sorry :blush:
Sorry auto correct

Phone MINI and tell them it's common on the r50/53 they will some times do you a good deal

bpirie1000
19th January 2016, 09:54 AM
May be as well contacting mini as it a common problem and they will some times do a good will.
Translated for you..

mini know now it is a fault depending on miles and service history they may chip in for repairs...(why they didn't recall them I never know,.)
would also look at independent garage for repair costs... For comparison...
Either way gonna cost you...

Crombers
19th January 2016, 11:41 AM
I managed to get MINI to foot most of the bill back in 2008. At that point my R50 was 4 years old with a full MINI service history and a 'then' current TLCXL service package. I paid for the part (power steering pump - £96) and MINI covered the labour cost at a good few hundred quid. Unfortunately an R53 is now at minumum 10 years old & they may not be as accommodating but you never know, I'd try my luck (phone BMW Customer Services) as it is a well known problem & if it is the pump then it should normally last the lifetime of the car. It may be a leak in the system (as I currently have in my 2008 Fiesta), & in that case it will unfortunately be down to age & wear & tear.

W33EMA
19th January 2016, 01:04 PM
Yeah. Going to hopefully get it moved from the P&R where I had to just ditch it last night to the garage tonight get them to look at it and see what they say. Unfortunately I don't think BMW will pay anything as my car is a cat C and like said is an 03 plate only got 74K on the clock almost 75K I think but I will give them a try once my local garage has had a look over it. Yeah tbh I caught it on a speed bump about 2 weeks before Christmas caught my exhaust etc since then my gear box has been a nightmare as well and I've been moaning about the way it's been driving as well feels heavy and sluggish etc. Thought once I got the new exhaust that might help with stuff but nah just got worse. Literally battling to get it into 1st gear, steering kept getting heavier and the noise from my fan belt kept getting louder as well. The fun of cars lol!

EcosseGP
19th January 2016, 03:35 PM
Does sound from above that it's self inflicted but no cheek no chance sometimes.

W33EMA
19th January 2016, 04:47 PM
Yeah damn speed bump! Fix one thing another thing breaks! :ragin:

bpirie1000
20th January 2016, 11:27 AM
Yeah damn speed bump! Fix one thing another thing breaks! :ragin:
That's just a mini thing sometimes...

EcosseGP
20th January 2016, 02:17 PM
Not too sure about a MINI it's "cars" in general :)
Hope you manage to get everything sorted and you're back on the road quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

emicen
20th January 2016, 02:35 PM
You profile says Fife, get Andy Lamont to have a look at it, his garage is at Balgonie Motor Company in Cardenden.

W33EMA
21st January 2016, 02:03 AM
Yeah I'll agree car thing! :yes nod:
Yeah it's getting all sorted the gear box issue was due to a rusted heat shield came off manifold and was siting where I was trying to get into first gear and sadly it is my steering pump. But I've got one ordered now and cars sleeping at garage till it arrives. :thumbs up: