PDA

View Full Version : Winter tyre size problem

GreyRacer
15th January 2016, 02:19 PM
The new Mini Cooper S Clubman chilli pack comes with tyres size 225-40 R18 92W Y run flat
I'm trying to find suitable winter tyres but without success. There are a few limited makes in this size but not run flats.
Looks like my options are to buy non run flats and carry an aerosol repair kit.
To increase the choice in tyres I could buy a set of Mini 17'' wheels just for winter with 225-45/17 94W XL tyres.
Whatever set I buy I'd also need to get a set of TPMS valves fitted.
Does the Mini ECU remember more than one set of TPMS? Or is recalibration required changing between summer and winter wheels.
What do other members do that run winter rubber?

MINI William
15th January 2016, 02:55 PM
I don't use winter tyres so I can't help there I'm afraid. The TPS don't need coaded to the car so you can swap about wheels quite easily without any issues.

Angib
15th January 2016, 03:24 PM
You can buy Pirelli Sottozero 2 and 3 runflats in 225/40-18.

You might think 'Italian' doesn't sound a good idea for a winter tyre, but of course they get plenty of snow in the Alps and I've found Pirellis to be good winter tyres in lesser sizes.

EcosseGP
15th January 2016, 07:43 PM
I don't use winter tyres at all but I can help you with the TPS answer. You don't need to code the new sensors to the car but you do need to go into the menu and reset all the tyre pressures before driving. You can swap between sets of wheels without any issues except for resetting the tyre pressures via the cars menu. I've just purchased 4 TPS sensors and spoke to MINI to confirm what was required. The TPS can be swapped between wheels as the don't stick to the rims but it'll be a big hassle having to do it every time you want to swap your wheels over. If you don't put TPS onto the new wheels it'll throw up errors on the dash ...

GreyRacer
15th January 2016, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the very helpful reply.