PDA

View Full Version : Wanted late R53 or early-ish R56 Cooper S

golfgeezer
14th January 2016, 05:16 PM
Hello

I used to have a classic mini and enjoyed the few times a year I actually got to use it. I found the classic forums a great place to get info and advice so I'm hoping its the same here.
I'm looking for a fun second car to use in the Spring/summer for a 50 mile a day commute and maybe some weekend trips. I have a perfectly sensible 2yr old BMW 3 Series as my "everyday" car so my original thoughts were to buy a 2 seater convertible but that may be too restricting if I had to ferry the kids somewhere at short notice. I'm not after a convertible Mini but one with the panoramic roof would be a plus.
There seems to be all sorts of opinions on the pros and cons of the r53 and r56 but as I need to consider commuting, the R56 has better mpg so ideally I'd be looking for an early R56 but with any timing chain and decoking issues sorted.

If anyone knows of a good one out there please let me know.

Thanks

EcosseGP
14th January 2016, 06:46 PM
Good luck with your hunt ... There's pros and cons for every model but you can't buy a bit of whining ;)

N12 JLK
14th January 2016, 09:39 PM
Good luck finding a R56 S without the chain problem especially the early ones!, talking from experience.

golfgeezer
14th January 2016, 10:06 PM
Good luck finding a R56 S without the chain problem especially the early ones!, talking from experience.
Yes, that's what I've read :sad: So is a 2005/06 R53 a better bet then?

Craig
14th January 2016, 10:22 PM
Yes, that's what I've read :sad: So is a 2005/06 R53 a better bet then?

In my opinion - Yes, however I had 2 R56's within 11 months back in 2006 which were both shocking so I'm maybe biased ! Lol

What sorta budget you looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfgeezer
14th January 2016, 10:31 PM
£5k max as it's not going to be used as my all year round transport

golfgeezer
14th January 2016, 10:53 PM
In my opinion - Yes, however I had 2 R56's within 11 months back in 2006 which were both shocking so I'm maybe biased ! Lol

What sorta budget you looking at?

My budget is £5k max

CraigR53
15th January 2016, 01:18 AM
Owned both and had about 7 months driving in each, at the end of the day it's all down to personal preference. I personally prefer the r53 over all but don't get me wrong I loved my r56 also. Good luck with the search!

EcosseGP
15th January 2016, 10:39 AM
I'm sure you'll get something half decent for that kind of money. There's plenty of both R53 and R56 knocking about. I can't comment on the R56 being unreliable but I've not had any bother with any of the four R53s I've had. You've also got to consider that not all R56 will give you problems and most will have been sorted by now anyway. Better mpg with the R56 over the R53 too if it's going to be a daily.
You any other wants ... Colour, spec, etc ?

golfgeezer
15th January 2016, 11:57 AM
My wish list would consist of Xenons, panoramic roof and Chilli pack if I could get it. I'd rather not have a white car as my BMW is that colour so something different and preferably with no stripes or Union Jack bits on it.

MINI William
15th January 2016, 12:33 PM
I'm sure you will get something half decent for the money that you have to play with. I loved all R56's that I had. I would imagine that the majority of the chain tensioner issues will be resolved by now all the majority of cars but keep an ear out for it. I never owned an R53 so I can't really comment but I know those that have/had them love them, as we all do our MINIs

golfgeezer
15th January 2016, 02:11 PM
Maybe my budget could get a cooper D or SD? Not as much fun as the petrol 'S' I'm sure but a lot more mpg and not got the timing chain issues as I think it's a belt on these engines?

golfgeezer
15th January 2016, 02:58 PM
This is an early R53 but has all the parts you mention above. I've no idea where the seller is based but might be worth looking at?
http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=142126&page=2

golfgeezer
18th January 2016, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the link but I was hoping to find something a bit closer to home as that's a long way to go for a look

N16SHP
18th January 2016, 11:36 AM
Having owned an early R56 S and driven a couple of R53's if you're looking for a toy then it has to be the R53. Yes the R56 is slightly more refined on the inside than the R53 but for pure driving pleasure it has to be the R53, and to be honest, the interior of the R53 was certainly not poor. However, if you do go down the R56 route then look to get one that is a 57 plate onwards if you can. My wife and I both had identical R56 S's however her one was totally different to drive and for the better too. Pulled better under acceleration, gear box was smoother and had far less problems than mine (My R56 was a November 2006 build so very much one of the first).

You also cannot beat that supercharger whine. I chose my R56 as it was my only car and I wanted that little bit of extra refinement. However if I had a spare £5k right now I know exactly what I'd be buying with it.

Good luck with your search and cannot wait to see what you find.

EcosseGP
18th January 2016, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the link but I was hoping to find something a bit closer to home as that's a long way to go for a look

Sometimes you've got to travel to get the best deal or car out there. I look at trips now as a day away wherever it is ... Don't let distance put you off getting the car that you want :)

golfgeezer
18th January 2016, 02:31 PM
Yes I agree and have been south of the border before to buy a car. I've also been far afield to find out a car wasn't as described and wasted not just time but money. As the mini isn't exactly a rare thing on the road I'd hoped I could locate something up here so I'll keep searching the usual places and see what comes up

golfgeezer
22nd January 2016, 11:45 AM
R53 it is I've decided. Keeping my eye out for a JCW and might be London headed in a couple of weeks to view one if its still available then