PDA

View Full Version : Getting emotional about a car!?

lightbody
23rd September 2004, 09:27 AM
My new MINI arrives on Monday - can't wait!

BUT

Does anyone else get all emotional at the thought of getting rid of the old one? We've been through a lot together, Charlie & I! Been to lots of places, shows and things and he's had lots of different people in him etc etc. When I got him MINIs were so rare on the road, and BRG/white ones were unheard of - it was many months before they became common enough for people to stop pointing, staring and asking me questions about it.

Oh well - I'm putting a NMS card in his glovebox so maybe he'll go to a good home and the new owner will get in touch!

Heather
23rd September 2004, 09:32 AM
I can totally understand. I would feel the same. You and charlie have had good times:DHe will be gone but never forgotton. Cant wait to see dennis:D

Smurf
23rd September 2004, 03:52 PM
Yes - I already get emotional at changing Smurf for a new one - and I'm not doing that until next year.

I've never cried over a car before, but I can definitely see it happening......

Looking forward to meeting Dennis though!
Maybe Charlie and Dennis will meet on an NMS or Mini Clan run some day?!

Wul
23rd September 2004, 05:16 PM
Know what you mean Lightbody - despite all the problems I had - my coop was my first ever brand new car and all that meguiars loving it had had! :p So when I handed it back it was a bit strange.

Don't fret though - he will be forever immortalised in the sanctuary that is www.newminscotland.co.uk :)

Heather
28th September 2004, 01:27 AM
Well Rob, how did you get on with the big changeover today??:D

lightbody
28th September 2004, 01:29 AM
There's been a wee delay... not getting it until tomorrow... traded in Charlie today though so am currently MINI-less which feels terrible!! Charlie was running perfectly today too! Waaa!

Willie M
28th September 2004, 04:00 PM
I've had a couple of cars that I've been a wee bit sad to leave come changeover day, Stouffer being one of them :( Generally though, I'm just so ecited about picking up the new baby that it doesn't really enter my head.

Best of luck with the new MINI Rob, hopefully see you both sometime soon.

Steve74
28th September 2004, 05:44 PM
I've just been looking into my next car now and it's not a Mini!!! ;)

It's just every second car is an MCS and there are three in my street the same colour. I think it's becoming a victim of it's own success!

Heather
28th September 2004, 06:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

There's been a wee delay... not getting it until tomorrow... traded in Charlie today though so am currently MINI-less which feels terrible!! Charlie was running perfectly today too! Waaa!

Awaiting news and pictures with anticipation...........:D

Scottie
28th September 2004, 06:39 PM
When I was younger I loved my cars but after being involved in a accident the car being written off and myself to good I no longer get emotional about any of my cars. I like them to look as good as possible but that's about it. I never feel sad when trading or if the cars get damaged.

Julz
28th September 2004, 06:43 PM
The fact that I've only just put my old car up for sale after two years of owning the mini shows how sad I am! Even when discussions were happening of me trading for an Evo 6 I was getting upset, at the momment there are very few cars I would easily trade my mini for, a black GT3 however........:p:D

Steve74
28th September 2004, 08:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

The fact that I've only just put my old car up for sale after two years of owning the mini shows how sad I am! Even when discussions were happening of me trading for an Evo 6 I was getting upset, at the momment there are very few cars I would easily trade my mini for, a black GT3 however........:p:D

Went to see the new 911 997 yesterday - sweet!

Julz
28th September 2004, 08:09 PM
Yes, well, we're trying to avoid seeing one of those!! I'm still cringing at the thought of us parting with money for the new clutch on Robs car:(

Steph
30th September 2004, 07:19 AM
How could you! I feel a traitor just eyeing up other minis. I'm buying a new house just so he gets his own car flap...although hopefully he won't go for adventures without me.

Julz
30th September 2004, 06:39 PM
The only reason I was looking elsewhere is that an average month just to run my mini costs me over £500!!:eek:

Scottie
30th September 2004, 06:57 PM
that works out to be about 50p a mile based on a average yearly mileage of 12000 miles

Julz
30th September 2004, 06:59 PM
Yeah, but that's before I pay for the 3 sets of front tyres I go through a year and the 4 oil changes I do a year, and... and... and... it's never ending, but at least I have fun!!:D

Steve74
30th September 2004, 07:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

Yeah, but that's before I pay for the 3 sets of front tyres I go through a year and the 4 oil changes I do a year, and... and... and... it's never ending, but at least I have fun!!:D

Mind you a new 997 may be a bit more...;)

Scottie
30th September 2004, 07:01 PM
How do you manage to go through 3 sets of front tyres to many burnouts I think.

Julz
30th September 2004, 07:04 PM
I do at least 15000 miles a year and I like Toyo Proxes, and contrary to popular belief, I don't drive like a girlie, I'm quite hard on the car so I pay the price by replacing my tyres ever 5-6k! :p