PDA

View Full Version : Dip Stick Issue

W33EMA
28th December 2015, 08:35 PM
I have a small issue. I went to check my oil and couldn't as the dip stick was snapped but need to get the old snapped bit out before I can put the new one in. Anyone had this issue or know the best way to get the old part put without taking the sump off?? Thanks :)

MINI William
28th December 2015, 09:51 PM
It's a common issue I belive (I'm sure Rob) had the same issue. I would try and fish it out with a grab tool

EcosseGP
28th December 2015, 09:58 PM
Yeah you're right it's a common issue and an annoying one too. If you can get a grabbing tool down the tube try that or better still a magnet might be better :). Rob will no doubt be along to tell you how he managed to retrieve it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stoney
28th December 2015, 10:31 PM
Are the old dip stick problem

Right you need a pice of thin ish wire got to be strong enuf to hold a shape but thin enuf to make in to a spiral no to tight round a srew driver leave a small tail at the very start about 6/8mm max and a longer tail a the top end so you can keep a hold of it.

Once you have done this feed it down the tube and twist the spiral so your small tail picks up the dip stick but keep turning so like a cork screw it winds down the stick for a good few turns of the wire and you should get enuf grip to pull it out

There is a thread some where with a pick of said tool just where is a different story

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

Found it

The dip stick is now out ;) thanks to this little home made tool ;)

W33EMA
29th December 2015, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys! I'll pass this on to the mechanics in my life. Set them a wee challenge :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
29th December 2015, 10:45 PM
I thought this was going to be about Donald Trump! :smilewinkgrin:

stoney
3rd January 2016, 07:20 PM
Did you manage to get your dip stick out ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

ELFMAN
4th January 2016, 04:59 PM
Sorry Rob... :off topic:You're on the wrong website again :stop:

Crombers
4th January 2016, 07:01 PM
Sorry Rob... :off topic:You're on the wrong website again :stop:

Brilliant :laugh: Elfmeister :thumbs up:

badwolf340
4th January 2016, 08:18 PM
Did you manage to get your dip stick out ?

:hand:

ELFMAN
5th January 2016, 11:38 AM
All joking aside, hope you managed to solve the problem :thumbs up:

W33EMA
6th January 2016, 09:01 PM
Sadly I haven't yet no. Had another issue that had to be fixed first. The new battery issue. Had to jump start the car 3 times within 4 days. Will try get it out soon ��

sidisking
24th February 2016, 01:07 PM
I heard about this issue so bought a craven speed one from Lohen before it had the chance to snap!

It's a great dipstick and way easier to read than OEM.

Crombers
24th February 2016, 02:09 PM
Something I should really attend to seeing as my stick is getting on a bit :yes nod:

stoney
2nd March 2016, 06:10 PM
I heard about this issue so bought a craven speed one from Lohen before it had the chance to snap!

It's a great dipstick and way easier to read than OEM.
I have heard they are not any good give false reading !! OEM all the way !!

maxibaby
2nd March 2016, 09:33 PM
I have heard they are not any good give false reading !! OEM all the way !!

I had a Cravenspeed and whilst at 1320 Mini they had it on the ramps and took a couple of oil measurements.
The Cravenspeed over- read! They checked it a few times. Needed more oil just to get to midrange reading on the OEM one.
I bought a new OEM dipstick from them. I figure that if it's replaced every few years for £18, it won't break or get stuck.
Sold the Cravenspeed on MT.
Other issue I found was that the nice painted aluminium handle gets too hot to touch if you've been driving and then want to check the oil.

...end...

W33EMA
5th March 2016, 11:55 PM
Good news!!! Old dip stick is out! Metal one ordered and on its way. No more snapping or almost killing the mini!! Lol! :thumbs up: