PDA

View Full Version : Lug Torquing

CraigR53
27th December 2015, 07:21 PM
So practically everything I do is new ground as far as doing things to my car. I thought I'd play about and get used to some of the tools my parents kindly got me for Christmas. (As you do)

Found in my manual that r53 lug nuts are 120nm or 88.3 lb ft. With regards to the torque, not never used said torque wrench in my life before but it did feel very easy, didn't have to put much into it at all, just wanted to ask the question seeing as id like to keep all 4 wheels on my car lol. Probably a stupid question I know but thought I'd ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badwolf340
27th December 2015, 07:52 PM
Not a stupid question ,just mind and put the Torque wrench back to zero ...keeps it in calibration .it does not take much effort as you have found out and work in a diagonal pattern so the torque is evenly spread as you tighten them up ...so 12 pc
o clock then 6 ...9 then 3

CraigR53
27th December 2015, 07:55 PM
Thanks Brian, puts the mind at ease but I'm sure I'll be out testing then again once it's back on the road. Been warned about putting it back to zero. Much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badwolf340
27th December 2015, 09:27 PM
It's always a good idea to re check after a few miles :thumbs up:

MINI William
27th December 2015, 10:20 PM
As above Craig, all very straightforward when you know. I would take the car out for a small run after refitting wheels and then recheck them ( I know that will be slightly different for you just now as your car is off the road, but something to keep in mind for later)

ELFMAN
29th December 2015, 09:33 PM
Certainly not a daft question! I was thinking about this very thing when I was out in the Mini today. Have had my new tyres on for a few miles now and I was reminding myself I had to check my wheels, which I will do, but I don't actually have (and never had) a torque wrench... Maybe I should invest in one - better late than never!

Blueboy
30th December 2015, 07:22 AM
Its surprising just how much they slacken off after fitting new set of wheels, great tool to make sure that they stay on the car :thumbs up: