PDA

View Full Version : Spraying wheels

Ianstwt_r59
22nd December 2015, 11:01 PM
Has anyone ever sprayed there alloys? Is it hard? To get it right?

CraigR53
22nd December 2015, 11:19 PM
I think Eddie(JCW) gave it a go at one point

DigitalLemming
22nd December 2015, 11:22 PM
Yep Eddie did, I'm sure he'll be along when he's finished playing with his new toy!

Track Ali
23rd December 2015, 02:00 AM
The short answer is no it's not hard. I'm assuming you're talking about spraying them with the tyres fitted in which case it's a simple task of masking well, sanding properly to get a good surface for the paint and then giving it a couple of coats.

As with all jobs it's the prep that counts so skimp on the cleaning and sanding etc. and the end result won't look as good

We sprayed my mates wheels just this summer and the end result looked fantastic. If you do your prep correctly then the end result can look as good as a powder-coated finish.

But (and it is a big "but" I'm afraid)...

...it's no where near as durable. Spray painted wheels suffer from stone chip damage far worse than powder-coated rims. Even if you give it a good sand and use the proper primers, multiple coats and protective lacquers etc. the bond between the paint and the wheel just isn't as good as when the wheels are powder-coated. Also if your tyre-fitters are particularly ham-fisted then they can scrape the paint off when replacing tyres. Again the contact just isn't as strong compared to powder coating.

If you're fancying a temporary colour change then I'd say have a go spraying them. It's not expensive and can get good results when done properly. But if you want a finish that is more resistant to damage and will last longer then I'd say just get them powder coated.

And whatever you do, remember to post pics!

:thumbs up:

Eddie_JCW
23rd December 2015, 02:48 AM
Unless they're R112's they're an absolute nightmare :laugh: especially if you try 2 colours.

CiderFex
23rd December 2015, 07:05 AM
lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blueboy
23rd December 2015, 08:02 AM
One of the best and easiest way to mask them is to buy a cheap pack of playing cards and wedge them in as you go. Few folk seam to plasti dip wheels but for best results powder coating is the way to go. I can get wheels done at trade price for £150 if it helps you out and that includes tyres being removed and swapped over!

badwolf340
23rd December 2015, 08:14 AM
The short answer is no it's not hard. I'm assuming you're talking about spraying them with the tyres fitted in which case it's a simple task of masking well, sanding properly to get a good surface for the paint and then giving it a couple of coats.

As with all jobs it's the prep that counts so skimp on the cleaning and sanding etc. and the end result won't look as good

We sprayed my mates wheels just this summer and the end result looked fantastic. If you do your prep correctly then the end result can look as good as a powder-coated finish.

But (and it is a big "but" I'm afraid)...

...it's no where near as durable. Spray painted wheels suffer from stone chip damage far worse than powder-coated rims. Even if you give it a good sand and use the proper primers, multiple coats and protective lacquers etc. the bond between the paint and the wheel just isn't as good as when the wheels are powder-coated. Also if your tyre-fitters are particularly ham-fisted then they can scrape the paint off when replacing tyres. Again the contact just isn't as strong compared to powder coating.

If you're fancying a temporary colour change then I'd say have a go spraying them. It's not expensive and can get good results when done properly. But if you want a finish that is more resistant to damage and will last longer then I'd say just get them powder coated.

And whatever you do, remember to post pics!

:thumbs up:
Ali has summed it up perfectly ,sprayed my wheels on the Megane and they looked great ,but not as durable as powder coating ,lots of places doing powder coating at great prices ,

Big Gordy
23rd December 2015, 09:03 AM
I can get wheels done at trade price for £150 if it helps you out and that includes tyres being removed and swapped over!

That's a great price.....!!!!
How do we take up this offer.....lol :smilewinkgrin:

Blueboy
23rd December 2015, 09:46 AM
That's a great price.....!!!!
How do we take up this offer.....lol :smilewinkgrin:

Get wheels to me and I'll get done!

Big Gordy
23rd December 2015, 01:18 PM
Get wheels to me and I'll get done!

Splendid..... :thumbs up: The missus has gubbed my 18's.
Do they clean up the kerbing as well..??

Craig
23rd December 2015, 01:55 PM
One of the best and easiest way to mask them is to buy a cheap pack of playing cards and wedge them in as you go. Few folk seam to plasti dip wheels but for best results powder coating is the way to go. I can get wheels done at trade price for £150 if it helps you out and that includes tyres being removed and swapped over!

I'm sure I'll be in touch with you For a Wee job [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blueboy
23rd December 2015, 07:57 PM
Yes kerbing sorted as long as no bits missing :laugh: and just give me a shout if I can help anyone out

Big Gordy
24th December 2015, 08:34 AM
Splendid.....will be in touch after the festivities are over :thumbs up:
She's not that bad....so no bits missing :Whistle:

EcosseGP
24th December 2015, 01:32 PM
Managed to get mine spray painted and IMO you get a better finish with wet paint over powder coating but you're right the durability can be an issue. The powder coating is less likely to chip over the paints lacquer and also cleaning results in a lot less visible scratches too. Good price though for getting a set of wheels done .... [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blueboy
24th December 2015, 02:25 PM
Totally agree, wet paint gives far better finish. The guy I use can powder coat any colour as long as you can give me a paint code. My Tarmacs are getting painted Azure Black to match the car