PDA

View Full Version : Park Lane Help

what_recession
14th December 2015, 09:29 PM
Hi,

I am in the process of buying a Mini Cooper parklane. The main points of contention for me is that the car has had four owners, only has one key and has a slightly corroded brake pipe advisory (front and back). The cost of the car is 3,450 with 72,000 miles. This seems like a fair price for the spec of the car. Any thoughts guys? Would the brake pipe be a worry for you's?

MrMischief
14th December 2015, 10:30 PM
I'm guessing it's around a 2005/6 so getting on for 10yrs old. With our lovely climate & salty roads in the winter, you're bound to get some corrosion on the brake lines. If they're advisory's be prepared to have them changed soon, or do yourself if you're handy with the spanners??

The missing key isn't cheap to replace, I've not lost one but I'm sure somebody will come along soon with the key & coding price from the dealer.

Also, 72k isn't too bad for that age, but a few mins on Autotrader & there are several lower mileage examples (in the 50-60k range) for very similar money (with 2 keys).

I presume you're buying privately? If the car is otherwise in good condition, nice paintwork, even panel gaps, no dings, tidy alloys & decent tread depth on the tyres....no signs of gunk in the water & clean oil....drives nice with no clunks, has a clear windscreen with no chips, changes gear smoothly, doesn't have too high a bite point on the clutch...I could go on but will stop now :unsure:

All the things you described are bargaining points...just take your time, don't be pressured & make sure the paperwork is correct! :thumbs up:

Crombers
18th December 2015, 07:46 PM
As said, wouldn't worry about the advisory, missing key more of a £pain

I'm at 75000 on a 2004 MINI with no major problems barring early steering issues & yours has the bonus of the updated Getrag gearbox :thumbs up: