PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Mini Cooper s battery compartment

David
13th December 2015, 04:43 AM
Just bought a 2003 Mini Cooper s and found the battery compartment with some water in it removed everything to dry it out and noticed there's a small hole the size of a 5p in the corner so was gonna get it repaired once I'd sorted the source of the water and was wondering if you can buy these compartment and just got a new one?

David

stoney
13th December 2015, 10:31 AM
Most common falt for water geting in the boot is the seals that hold on the belt line

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

David
13th December 2015, 02:05 PM
Gonna get the boot trim off it just now and find out for sure and get it sorted

David
13th December 2015, 11:14 PM
so far I've pulled the rear light, boot handle, wiper motor and high level brake light, there's deffo water coming in the wiper seal but gonna reseal everything just to be sure before I build the boot back up

kevs cooper s
17th December 2015, 02:25 PM
take it you bought it from an private individual not a dealer

Crombers
18th December 2015, 06:42 PM
All the best Mk1's have batteries at the front :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, hope you get a fix :thumbs up:

David
4th January 2016, 03:25 AM
Turns out the last owner drilled a hole lol I'll get it patched anyway to stop spray coming in when I'm driving, water seemed to be coming from the rear washer seal but I went ahead and replaced the high level brake light, boot handle and washer sealer just to be safe with new goodies from bmw

EcosseGP
4th January 2016, 06:20 PM
David it's a common fault with the R53s and I can only imagine that the previous owner had drilled a hole (albeit excessive if it's the size of 5p) in the battery compartment to allow the water to drain out. A solution to the water issue but not really sorting the problem. Like Rob says usually it's the boot seals that are the issue ... Sounds like you've got it all in hand [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

David
5th January 2016, 04:52 AM
Lol yeah I kinda went mad, Scott at Harry fairbairn Giffnock has been a godsend anything I've needed he's sorted and for a good price, so just went mad and bought everything that way I know be done as much as I can, I got a boot seal from a bone dry mini in my local breakers as mines had a few damaged bits, just got to roar my new boot handle to get painted which I'll do tomorrow with my mirror cars as it seems weird that the original owner spec'd body coloured roof but black mirrors lol so want it all blue.

Once the boot handles back it should be watertight lol