PDA

View Full Version : R56 Gear issue

Ferengo
18th November 2015, 02:24 PM
Hi guys.

I have a 2007 R56 Cooper. For a long time 2nd gear was an issue. Whenever we tried to go into 2nd the gear would crunch before engaging. It was also difficult to get it into 2nd. We had the car in for brakes, services etc... and each time, no matter which garage it was we were advised that we needed a new gearbox. So the other week we finally bit the bullet and put it in for one along with getting new brake pads, discs and calipers for the back.

After we got it back we noticed 2nd gear didn't crunch (as you'd expect) and it was slightly easier to get into but now first gear was also difficult to engage. In fact just as hard, if not more difficult that 2nd is. At the time of picking the car up I was told that the cable on the gear box may need replaced but to try the car out and see how I felt it drove. So I took it in yesterday to get that replaced.

Picked the car up again and gears 3-6 are even easier to get into but still 1-2 are difficult. I called them up and was told that if I didn't put my foot all the way down on the clutch that I should find it easier to drive or if I lift my foot off the clutch while engaging gears 1-2 that'll work too. This does make it easier but not anywhere near as easy as the other gears are.

I even had a friend drive it this morning and they noticed straight away that there was a problem. So the car is booked in again for Friday to be looked at. Does anyone have any idea what the issue may be that's causing this?

Thanks all, for any help.

MrMischief
18th November 2015, 04:23 PM
Did the clutch get renewed at the same time? Possible release bearing issue?

Ferengo
18th November 2015, 04:30 PM
No, but it was checked and they said it had plenty of life left in it.

Eddie_JCW
18th November 2015, 08:40 PM
My guess would be alignment/bushes between the gear lever and the box

badwolf340
18th November 2015, 09:09 PM
This sounds more likely

MrMischief
18th November 2015, 09:57 PM
Come to think of it, my sister had terrible issues with her R50's gearbox, really struggled until she had the Bowden cables replaced.

Have they split your original gearbox to see if there was an issue internally?

Ferengo
18th November 2015, 11:10 PM
Come to think of it, my sister had terrible issues with her R50's gearbox, really struggled until she had the Bowden cables replaced.

Have they split your original gearbox to see if there was an issue internally?

Yeah, 2nd gear was practically gone. So it was fully replaced.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll put that to them on Friday. Am just trying to gather possible issues to go through with them on Friday.