PDA

View Full Version : Engine management light

Sarahh1994
15th November 2015, 05:12 PM
Engine lights came on a day ago. Took a look under the bonnet and the air filter from my aem intake was loose. Tightened it up but the light is still on. Do you need to reset this and how do you do it? Do you need a code reader? Ive also had a piper exhaust and sports cat fitted two weeks ago with no problems till now. Dont know if this might also cause the light to come on or wether the car just doesnt like the exhaust? Haha

Any help would be appreciated!! :)

Thanks

Sarah

badwolf340
15th November 2015, 05:56 PM
Sports cat may have brought on the CEL light ,where do you live as one of the helpful peeps on NMS ,would be able to connect up a code reader and see what's going on .

Sarahh1994
15th November 2015, 06:12 PM
Alright. Had thought it might be that. Im near lanark. Where about are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badwolf340
15th November 2015, 07:55 PM
Sarah We are in Midlothian ,but NMS will be at our Detailers box meet on Sunday which is at Cambuslang if that's any good ,you could pop along ,all details can be found in the MINI meets and Social section

Sarahh1994
16th November 2015, 11:44 AM
Went back to the garage that done my exhaust. It is the cat thats setting the light off. Says it could just be the change in temperature or going through big puddles cooling the exhaust making the car thinks theres a problem.

stoney
16th November 2015, 01:44 PM
Alright. Had thought it might be that. Im near lanark. Where about are you?

Your not far from me !!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

ELFMAN
16th November 2015, 03:04 PM
Hi Sarah, my warning light comes on every few hundred miles (say 500-ish) caused by my Milltek downpipe and sports cat. It's because (I think) the sensor before the cat takes a reading, and the one after the cat thinks its reading should be at a certain level in comparison to the first one. The sports cat lets a bit more 'stuff' through than the standard setup, it's still 'legal' but the second sensor thinks there's something wrong and flags it up via the warning light. I'm in Larkhall and my friendly local dealer (Douglas Park MINI in Hamilton) resets it for me F.O.C.! (I do very low mileage, so it's pretty infrequent).

I reckon this has happened to almost everybody who fits aftermarket downpipes (R56) and manifolds (R53 - my previous Mini did exactly the same thing and I got fed up resetting it so I just stuck a Jimi Hendrix badge over the light!). As the guys have said, a simple reset which takes a few minutes will put the light out, but it'll probably come back on after a long run. The engine's fine though. Well in my experience it is...

Sarahh1994
16th November 2015, 06:15 PM
Okay. Mechanic did say it's probably because like you said it lets more "stuff" through than standard. But lights out for now and i also got it f.o.c.

Thanks for the info :)

ELFMAN
17th November 2015, 12:03 AM
Nice One! :thumbs up:
I found my downpipe gave the exhaust a nice 'edge' to it as well as helping things flow a bit better. I reckon it's a very worthwhile (if mot cheap) mod. A Decat Pipe is a lot cheaper, but maybe a wee bit on the noisy side - not that I'm against a bit of noise now and again! :smilewinkgrin:

badwolf340
17th November 2015, 09:11 PM
glad to hear that you have got it all sorted

MINI William
17th November 2015, 10:47 PM
Pleased that it's fixed