PDA

View Full Version : MINI vs Scooby WRX

The Dogfather
21st September 2004, 05:12 AM
Is my MINI faster than a WRX, or was this guy a bit of a *****?

Heading to Banff from Turriff last night I overtook a WRX which obviously pizzed him off as he then tried to keep up. There's quite a few bends just before King Edward and I kind of expected him to stay 3 inches behind my rear bumper but no. When I checked in my rear view after a the corners he must of been 400 yards back.

He then caught up with me on the straights as I'd backed off (he'd have caught up with me anyway).

My Coop is standard apart from sport plus suspension and 17" wheels.

BlackEye
21st September 2004, 05:16 AM
Did he have his driving glasses on? All the scooby drivers in this neck of the woods are in their doteage :eek:

macblob
21st September 2004, 05:29 AM
A Scooby if driven correctly would have kicked ur butt im afraid

The Dogfather
21st September 2004, 06:59 AM
I thought a WRX would be faster, a lot faster but this was just on the bends? There was no way he could use his power advantage so this was purely down to grip and handling.

Blackeye - he was youngish, so he couldn't use arthritis as an excuse!

Heather
21st September 2004, 09:17 PM
sorry still got to agree with macblob, bends or not.

The Dogfather
21st September 2004, 09:22 PM
Was chatting to John about this and he reckons the MINI would come out on top.

Eggy7496
21st September 2004, 10:59 PM
mmmmm, an interesting debate, write it into top gear for a laugh and see what they say, however if the scooby turns out to be far better then im sure Mr Clarkson will rip the p***. Worth a try eh? lol

i take it, it wasent the STI, was it the WRX 2.0 turbo?

certainly on the straights scoobies would be sayin bye bye mini but not 100% sure about the corners. Any one got the BBR 275? At would be a interesting battle!!

The Dogfather
21st September 2004, 11:05 PM
Not up on my Scoobys but the badge on the back said WRX and it was the latest version not the bugeyed one.

Eggy7496
21st September 2004, 11:08 PM
not quite sure then, i think i could safely say that the scooby wouldnt leave the minis standing round the corners

zimbo
21st September 2004, 11:21 PM
Yup I must agree with Mr macblob... I used to own a scooby before my cooper and yes it definately would have, if it had been driven PROPERLY!!!!:D

and there ummm might be another scooby in my driveway shortly again too.... :p:D

Eggy7496
21st September 2004, 11:28 PM
majority favours the scooby unfortunately, dam subaru! lol:D:evil:

The Dogfather
21st September 2004, 11:30 PM
Interesting a mixed bag of responses.

Remember this is just about cornering not out and out speed. John reckoned he scared his scooby owning mate senseless in his cooper. The guy actually said if that had been his Scooby it'd be in the field.

The debate goes on!!!!

macblob
21st September 2004, 11:34 PM
Here are some Scooby stats from the uk website

Scooby 2.0 WRX (2004)
4 Door Manual 5 Speed box.
Power : 225ps@5600 revs
Torque : 300Nm@4000 revs

Max Speed 144Mph
0-62 mph : 5.9 secs

No way a cooper would keep up with that unless the scooby was driven by a granny.
I reckon ud need a BBR converted S to keep up with a WRX

Eggy7496
21st September 2004, 11:37 PM
and the corners?

Eggy7496
21st September 2004, 11:38 PM
If a mini can take a corner at 100mph the subaru could too but if the subaru took a corner at 100mph could the mini?

This what u mean paul?

macblob
21st September 2004, 11:39 PM
Scooby is basically a rd going rally car so I wouldnt have thought corners would be much of a problem in the right hands :D

The Dogfather
21st September 2004, 11:39 PM
Like I said no chance to use the power this was just about cornering.

Gismo
21st September 2004, 11:54 PM
The mini, until very recently, was the leader in the slalom test, as depicted by the world's leading advisor's.
I would reckon that given the same driver the Mini would handle the corners better, just keeping on topic ;)
Going off topic :evil: it goes without saying that the Scoby will eat the mini in a straight line, as was evident to me at Edzell :evil: in the wet with 4 wheel drive etc etc

Eggy7496
21st September 2004, 11:56 PM
theres the final answer then lol

The Dogfather
21st September 2004, 11:56 PM
Thanks Alan. What's the new slalom champ?

Eggy7496
21st September 2004, 11:58 PM
good question, i've never heard of that anyway

john
22nd September 2004, 12:17 AM
I took Zippy with me on a mini run and on the way home we went over the Netherly road,Zippy filled his pants a couple of times before we got home and said that there was no way his WRX could have taken the corners at the speed we did,but a straight line was a different matter.

Two weeks later he bought a Cooper and said goodbye to his WRX:)

Draw your own conclusions:)

The Dogfather
22nd September 2004, 12:23 AM
Scooby Doo pile of poo!!!!!!

Gismo
22nd September 2004, 12:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini
Thanks Alan. What's the new slalom champ?
I can't find the website, but i'm sure it's the new improved 911, the mini beat the older version ;)

zimbo
22nd September 2004, 02:06 AM
You cant include John in any of this conversation because we all he's NUTZ!!! We would all sh*t ourselves going in a car with him:D

I've seen the way he drives...

john
22nd September 2004, 02:24 AM
I hope thats another John he's talking about:eek:

Its John that does the stickers isnt it?:)thats it:D

Duncan Stewart
22nd September 2004, 04:16 AM
This sort of thing is very dependent on the sort of speeds you reach on the particular road. I've read about classic Minis competing on tight handling proving tracks with max speed of about 40mph and the mini 850s beat the 1275 Cooper S's because of the lower gearing and low speed.
Personally I've followed several Scoobys on twisty roads and none of them could get away from me :D

The Dogfather
22nd September 2004, 06:09 AM
Actually John in a Rover Van would probably outrun the average Scooby driver!

eddie 44
22nd September 2004, 07:19 AM
anyone can go fast in a straight line :p
but put a few twists & turns in , thats sorts
the men from the boys :p

Julz
22nd September 2004, 04:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland
I can't find the website, but i'm sure it's the new improved 911, the mini beat the older version ;)

:eek:Not the 4wd version surely:eek:

Gismo
22nd September 2004, 04:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz
:eek:Not the 4wd version surely:eek:
maybee's aye, maybee's na :p

Eggy7496
22nd September 2004, 05:31 PM
What so a mini won that slalom champ beating the 911 (not newly launched one)??

Eggy7496
22nd September 2004, 05:37 PM
Here's an interestin fact, i was at the new 911 launch in the Porsche Centre in Abs last Tuesday. Some Porsche guy from Reading was telin the tell of the Nurburgring track (the 14 miles one!) well they used a test driver to take a selection of fast cars round it the 14miles of madness, previously they held a record with the newly replaced 911 and that wiped the floor by i think 5 secs from the next best thing and did a great time in just over 8 mins which had been the best. When the new 911 just launched was tested, it went round the 14 miles 8 secs quicker!! doing 14 miles in under 8mins! ats amazing!

Gismo
22nd September 2004, 05:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Eggy7496
What so a mini won that slalom champ beating the 911 (not newly launched one)??
A MINI did beat a Porsche in the slalom contest, not by much and i can't remember which model either :evil: spent ages trying to find it on the web :(

Eggy7496
22nd September 2004, 05:41 PM
Moral of my (true) story above: By a porsche??? Nooooooo Get a mini! WOO!! (beats some model of a porsche, lol)

Remember all ya need to say is it beats a porsche, no need to say what power or model the porsche was. HeHe

Gismo
22nd September 2004, 05:44 PM
Remember all ya need to say is it beats a porsche, no need to say what power or model the porsche was. HeHe
Yep, but, if you're talking to a Porsche owner they will want to know which model ;)

Eggy7496
22nd September 2004, 05:47 PM
emmmmm, alan u got that website, so i can do research? lol i would love to wynd my pops up, just need the evidence, hehe

Gismo
22nd September 2004, 05:59 PM
emmmmm, alan u got that website
I can't find it :I

The Dogfather
22nd September 2004, 06:00 PM
From google - i also somewhat agree with the handling comment, but the F1 is famous for going in a straight line. there are lots of cars that handle as well if not better than the McLaren. the Mini Cooper S went throught the slalom test in Road & Track (69.5 mph) faster than ANY car they have ever tested, beating out the Porche 911 GT2 (68.7 mph). the McLaren is great in the corners (R&T got a slalom speed of 64.5 mph) but it is FAMOUS in acceleration.

Eggy7496
22nd September 2004, 06:06 PM
ats really interesting, BDM did u get that from the web? got a link?

The Dogfather
22nd September 2004, 06:13 PM
It was info posted on a forum that google picked up, I've found Road and Track Magazine but they don't have an archive of the story. Still looking watch this space!

Eggy7496
22nd September 2004, 06:14 PM
i'll try searching too, if found i think that should be a link kept on this site somewhere

redpoint rallying
25th September 2004, 01:27 AM
Also depends on a load of things like tyres, power, ability(!)blah blah... However my dad runs a WRX STi and I am all over him in the 'S' on the bendy stuff........I have to pedal harder on the straights though! Which is how it should be when you look at the car spec.
I can vouch for the 'round corners/scoobies' bit. On the Milltown Stages (and other single venue tarmac rallies)each stage is run a bit like a 'Super Special' that you see on current WRC rallies in that its a bit like a figure of eight with a 'merge' and a 'split'. This means that at some point on the stage, at the merge or split you will come up immediately behind a rally car which has started a few minutes before you on the same stage (still with me?) Often these are the much more powerful Group A cars such as Subarus.
We do in fact manage to keep up with them through the following bends (and thats in a virtually boggo standard Cooper) until the next long straight when the extra grunt means they take off! So, it can be done! We are living proof.....its also caused a bit of a stir and some very surprised comments which have been a good laugh. Our rally car has cost a fraction of some of the Subarus!!
Cheers!